• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hi! New here....

Chris41319

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Christine Franklin
Hello!
I hope everyone is doing well all the craziness going on right now.
I’m new to Avian Avenue, and to Parrotlets, but not to birds.
I just picked up my new baby this afternoon. Can anyone help me with a few questions.
I was told this bird is about a year old.
I’m assuming it is a she?? No blue??
Can anyone tell me what color she is, and what type of Parrotlet she is?
The owner I rescued her from didn’t have much info for me, so I would really appreciate any help you can give me.
I’ve included 4 pictures below.

Thanks bunches,
Chris & Trixie

Attachments

PacificPaulie

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Meagan
Hello and welcome!
From that close up of her eye it looks like she is certainly female. ;) It is my understanding males usually have a blue stripe over their eyes, just like my Paulie.
Has she got a name?

Attachments

Chris41319

Real Name
Christine Franklin
Yes, I’ve read about the blue over the eye, on the wings, and the rump. There is no blue anywhere.
“Her” name is Trixie.
Thank you for helping out.
Paulie is gorgeous! ❤

Chris & Trixie

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Hi! I adore parrotlets! I believe you have a Girl. The males have the prominent blue eye streak.

Hard to tell in some colors now that there are so many.

Ask away if you have any questions regarding care, housing etc.

Chris41319

Real Name
Christine Franklin
Hi! I adore parrotlets! I believe you have a Girl. The males have the prominent blue eye streak.

Hard to tell in some colors now that there are so many.

Ask away if you have any questions regarding care, housing etc.

Chris41319

Real Name
Christine Franklin
Thank you so much!

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
So not in order.. but a few question I can help you with. The species of parrotlet you have is a Celestial Parrotlet, also know as Pacific Parrotlet, or for clarity Forpus coelestis . They are wonderful birds! I have two and love them dearly! :)

The eye streak is not a 100% indicator for sex. It isn't viewed as a credible method, especially with mutations. You want to check out the rump feathers.

This chart is to help you identify the rump feathers (below). Males have vivid blue rump feathers and also the edge of the wing.
rump feathers.jpg

This is my male bird, Neptune, when he baths he lets his guard down and you can clearly see his rump feathers. See the vivid blue? This is the indicator for sex, also notice the edge of his wings are the same colour.

IMG_7131.JPG IMG_7129.JPG IMG_7130.JPG IMG_7133.JPG

For mutation I am not sure exactly what your little one is, the lighting in the photo seems a bit blue in hue so it leaves me guessing a bit, though you may find this link useful.
Pacific Parrotlet Color Mutation Chart

Also WELCOME to the Avenue! It is a wonderful bird focused community :) I look forward to learning more and more about Trixie!

Last edited:

PacificPaulie

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Meagan
The eye streak is not a 100% indicator for sex. It isn't viewed as a credible method, especially with mutations. You want to check out the rump feathers.
To further emphasize, here is Paulie's cute little rump. ;)

20191115_120445.jpg

PacificPaulie

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Meagan
Yes, I’ve read about the blue over the eye, on the wings, and the rump. There is no blue anywhere.
“Her” name is Trixie.
Thank you for helping out.
Paulie is gorgeous! ❤

Chris & Trixie
Welcome Chris and Trixie! Feel free to ask anything, this community is quite welcoming.

Birdie Mama

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Hello and welcome!

I had an American yellow parrotlet which was a male though his blue at the eye was very faint and disappeared the older he got, pale blue on the rump, but a male none the less though we called it pixie so in our mind was a female. Was a rescue from a deplorable pet store now out of business, and everything they told us was a lie...so no info.

my blue pacific was a male with dark blue markings.....

you may want to check out talkparrotlets.com, a site dedicated to p’letts and someone should be able to if
dentify the mutation you have. Lots of great info there. Between here and there you should have lots of info to help you..

all the best!! :heart:

Bowsey

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Marina
Best of luck with your new parrotlet !! She is beautiful !! I hope you get as much joy from her as I do from my little guy.

Grace

Meeting neighbors
Blue on the wings is the definitive indicator of a male bird. On this color variety it would be a pale blue so if you don’t see any blue then she is a girl. Congrats on your new bird - she is a cutie and they are great little birds!