• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hi! New here looking for advice

MistarBorb

Checking out the neighborhood
I got a green cheek a week ago and here are the highlights.
So according to the guy who sold him to me the bird is 8 or 9 months old.

Day 1: I left him(don't actually know the gender) in his cage for a couple of hours; then decided to open the cage door. Sat next to him for a min or 2 then left, with the cage open, and sat on my chair. Few min go by then he peeks-gets out-flies over to me. He was hesitant at first but he then let me pet him yay me.

Day 2: He gets out of the cage flies over nibbles around gave him scratches here and there overall nice chill day.

Day 3: nibbles turning to bites whenever he gets ahold of some skin. Not sure if it was a bad thing or not but have attempted the "earthquake"method (got bite harder) and the "gently pull beak" also got bite. There was a bath attempt he did not go close to the water. aborted.

Day 4: Wore a long sleeve shirt and covered neck. He was not happy. He would attempt to pull sleeve to bite.

Day 5: He keeps biting at the shirt. There was another bath attempt and it was successful \o/.

Day 6: cage upgrade (came with a small cage) couple of toys (will get more online. Not much available locally). I do feel like he doesn't like the new cage. Food change to pellets (was on a seed diet). Now he's nibbling on shirt and bites when he gets a hold of my skin through the shirt.

Notable things that I don't remember when they happened:
Attempted to give him peach and banana. fail
Took a nap and he chilled/slept on my belly.
He groomed himself whilst on my shoulder (apparently that's a good thing)
He doesn't seem to hold on tight with his feet is that normal?
He bites on my beard. Is that okay?

Any advice/criticism would be appreciated I don't know how to stop the biting. Is it something I have to work on immediately or later on.

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue! 1.welcome signs.gif

Not sure if it was a bad thing or not but have attempted the "earthquake"method (got bite harder) and the "gently pull beak" also got bite.
When you get bit, put him down on the nearest bird safe surface. Ignore him for a minute before allowing further interactions. Repeating this will teach him that biting means being put down and ignored.
If you see him coming to bite, try to get out of the way. Every bite landed is telling him biting is ok, which it is not.
If he is biting all the time, stop allowing him to do what he´s doing when he´s biting. For eg, if he´s biting your neck when on your shoulder, then no shoulder time for a while.

I do feel like he doesn't like the new cage.
It is a big change for him. Hopefully he will get used to it. If you see him pacing or flapping around frantic, then put him back in his old cage, set up the new cage and keep them side by side. Add a rope so he can get from one to the other and allow him to explore on his own terms.

Food change to pellets (was on a seed diet).
Food must be weaned slowly, not an abrupt change. You can mix the two foods together to introduce the pellets or sprinkle some on a flat surface during out of cage time.

He bites on my beard. Is that okay?
Biting, or preening? If he is just fiddling with the hairs, this is preening, it´s what birds do to each other and is a bonding thing. If he is attacking your beard, maybe a shave?

Congratulations on bringing home your feathered friend :starshower:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You can also try setting up a little play area near you where he can be with you but have his own little space with toys and maybe a few treats :)

JoJo&Loki

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kelly
Hello and welcome to the Avenue! What a lil cutie you have :loveshower:

Zara gave you some really great advice. Every birb has their own personality and you seem to be having fun getting to know yours. I look forward to seeing more pics of your baby (hint hint):lol:
Have you picked a name yet?

MistarBorb

Thank you
I haven't picked a name for him yet. I've been distracted by my panic of whether I'm doing things right or not and I think I made things worse with the biting :dead:.
On the other hand I learned that he like apples (gave him some last night); and it seems like he enjoys yellow bell pepper gave him some today.

Attachments

Yoshi&Raphi

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Raphi
What a cute little guy! Can’t wait to see what you name him. :)

Circling

Walking the driveway
Real Name
John
Your pictures, and bird look great!

I've found dozens of helpful posts here per week.

Kona the Green Cheek Conure picked me at the bird store (in Florida) about a month ago. She turned 3 months old last week.

My searches are usually on google and I include avian avenue as the last two words in the search terms. That leads me to many helpful posts on here.

Have fun!

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

MistarBorb

Thanks you guys! :heart2:
I'll update from time to time much love <3

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Beautiful baby! Congrats and welcome!

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Yes, congrats and welcome.

I have found that my GCC also likes to bite the skin, though it is not aggressive. It is more exploratory like she is trying to figure out what humans are made of. "What is this stuff???"

I wear a thin hoodie when she is sitting on my shoulder.