• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hi, need help please with tiny new lorikeet!!

oddyssea

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Hello everyone, long-time reader, first-time poster here!

I have just acquired a Varied Lorikeet after having wanted one for many years, and his name is Lovejoy. He would be no more than 4 or 5 months old at best. But there’s an issue in that he was a hand-fed baby but has spent probably a month or so in an outdoor aviary before coming to me. He is VERY fearful of me, he panicks when I come anywhere near the cage even when changing food & water, and most certainly doesn’t want any interaction at all. On top of this he is tiny even for a Varied, his wings are clipped (only first 4 primaries) and I’m petrified I will lose him behind the fridge or a chest of drawers or something similar! I don’t think he gets much sleep at night either because he just seems to cling to the bars of his cage all night long.

I have a beautiful calm-natured cockatiel called Basil who is doing a lot of good work babysitting him at present and providing a good example for the new arrival, but as for me I haven’t had a baby as fearful as this guy for a very long time so I don’t know what to do for him for the best! He is sitting in his cage preening and making cute peep noises at the moment, and the odd little squeak which is very cute! He also eats well. These are all good signs that he is becoming more at home in his new surroundings (he’s only been here since Sunday) and I don’t want to freak him out too soon but i would dearly love some advice on when/how to take the next steps with him.

Thank you for reading!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Hi and welcome the the Avenue :)

oddyssea

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Thanks for your welcome:)

I probably should add that Lovejoy is not my first lorikeet, I had one almost 20 years ago who was a complete snuggle bug from day one of having him!

Lovejoy is relishing his wet mix at present - he may not want much to do with me right now but he has to admit his mama makes a pretty nice wet mix!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome! Unfortunately, I don't have any lori experience. Do you cover his cage at night?

oddyssea

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Thanks for your reply!

Yes I have been covering the cage at night, but we usually leave a light on overnight to help prevent our cockatiel getting the night frights so its never completely dark. Last night I left Lovejoy’s cage uncovered at the front so some more light could get in ... I don’t know if it helped though.

Honestly I don’t think specific Lori experiences is required here, just general understanding of how to calm a frightened baby really. I’ve been doing a lot of reading from “Learning Parrots” and anything else I can find and I’m taking it slow (or trying to!) Because he’s so small I genuinely worry about losing him somewhere in the house if he takes off on me so I’m looking for any additional advice I can get at this stage!

Thanks again:)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
If he's really nervous, you can try keeping 3 sides of his cage covered for awhile, leaving the front open. That way he doesn't have to be on "alert" for danger from all sides. Can he see your cockatiel from where he is? That might help too.

oddyssea

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Yes he can see good old Basil, who is just being the best big brother a little birdie could wish for!

We had a better day yesterday, Lovejoy got quite vocal and was happily preening. Basil & I sat about a meter from his cage and his door was open, and he came and peeked around the door a few times checking us out. I’m hoping it will help him learn by example to see Bazz & I interacting.

Lovejoy is such a sweet little thing, and I do mean “little”!! I hope he will come around because I love him too much to think he might be stuck in a cage for his own safety!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
It sounds like he's settling in well. :)

oddyssea

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Well I think progress has been made today

Whilst trawling thru the “Bird-napping” thread I played some of the videos linked from YouTube and guess what - Lovejoy LOVED them! So much so he got close enough for us to have a few nose-to-beak moments.

I think he’s going to be ok :)

BrenRuss

Moving in
Real Name
Brendan
You need to build up some trust just take it slow. Start out out by talking to him from a distance then try to approach the cage maybe get a chair and just sit and talk in a quite calm voice. Get him used to u and the sound of ur voice etc.

After a while u may be able to put a finger up to the cage then eventually he may jump onto your finger and u just keep working at it. U really need to be patient ad go at their pace

oddyssea

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Thank you!

I’ve moved his cage to beside my fave couch so he can come and go and be involved. My cockatiel is happy to sit on my lap for hours on end with his toys so I’m hoping Lovejoy will get the gist. He has been hopping onto my shoulder and making kissy noises and climbing onto my glasses. However he won’t have anything to do with my hands yet - the only time he does is when he throws himself off the top of his cage onto the floor and i go to “rescue” him. He steps up ok but wants to get off ASAP & I don’t want to restrain him or freak him out! And we have a vet visit tmrw for a wellness check so he won’t like that! I’m hoping to get some tips from the vet cos they’re pretty good down there :)

oddyssea

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Well we all survived the wellness exam including Bazz the cockatiel and no need for me to be sedated:) Lovejoy is being tested for psittacosis and PBFD (fingers and toes crossed!) but doc was happy with fecal test and condition in general. Will be taking up behaviour training (more for my benefit than his I’m sure!) as soon as we get the all clear for psittacosis. Lovejoy seems to have forgiven me for the indignities of yesterday by hopping back on my shoulder & trying to squeeze between my glasses and my face... very cute :)