• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hi looking for nice friendly pionus breeder in uk

brayark

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Chris
Hi all I have just joined up I have recently lost my lovely orangewing Amazon Perry and am looking to fill the void he has left with a pionus parrot ..
When I researched before I brought Perry I was going to get a pionus parrot as they sounded lovely birds. But I meet my Perry and hear I am much older and having read all. You have written hear .
I still Feel this is the bird for me I was hopping someone could recommend a breeder in the UK hopefully near Grantham in Lincolnshire . ,

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Chris! :starshower1:

I´m very sorry for your loss of Perry

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
bump

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I recommend contacting Mike Roxx on facebook. He's part of a network of Pionus breeders in the UK.

brayark

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Chris
Thanks all its nice to Hear form fellow bird lovers and I will be contacting Mike Roxx on facebook to see if I can find my match .
I got a pionus book to read yesterday called
Pionus Parrots as Pets: Pionus Parrots General Info, Purchasing, Care, Cost...
by Lolly Brown (author) which said to use bottle water for birds am I wrong thinking uk tap water is bird safe ?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Thanks all its nice to Hear form fellow bird lovers and I will be contacting Mike Roxx on facebook to see if I can find my match .
I got a pionus book to read yesterday called
Pionus Parrots as Pets: Pionus Parrots General Info, Purchasing, Care, Cost...
by Lolly Brown (author) which said to use bottle water for birds am I wrong thinking uk tap water is bird safe ?
@tka ?

Reactions: Ali

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Tap water in the UK is safe.

The best book on pionus that I've found is Russ Shade's The Practical Pionus. You order it by going to his site and contacting him. He'll ship to the UK: The Practical Pionus

brayark

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Chris
Thanks I thought it was odd as have been around birds all my life but I know thing charge and I wanted to cheek I wasn't doing the wrong thing for my Amazon the last few years
Did you get your bird forme the dreaded you recommended to me ?
How long did he take to settle in and decide you were safe ?

Reactions: Ali

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes, I have one of Mike's 2016 clutch.

Pionus are very watchful, observant birds. They take time to decide whether or not they will accept someone as part of their flock, and pressuring them into stepping up will just make them more wary. It took my girl about a month to accept headscratches from me, longer to be comfortable stepping onto my hand. In that month I target trained her so I could at least persuade her to go back to her cage at night without damaging our growing relationship. They do not like being rushed or pushed into doing something, but if you give them time to think about it and make up their own minds then they can make wonderful, steady companions.

brayark

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Chris
Thanks that's good to know .
Has your bird learned many words ?

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Pionus tend not to be good talkers - I know of a couple who have learnt a couple of words, but it's unusual and their voices tend to be rather mumbly. Learning human words is not something I care about so I've never attempted to teach Leia.

brayark

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Chris
I see talking as a bonus reliable loving and sociable is key my Amazon wasn't interested in wife and would complain if I left the room to do things she could scratch his head but need to be careful .
I have been reading up on lots of other birds on hear that I hadn't considered before I like what people have said about the Galah/Rose Breasted Cockatoos as they seem to be less needing than I expected to find in a too

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Too’s are VERY needy... You will have a todler clamped to your arm all day long. And if they dont like it they will scream.. they will scream untill you want to cut of your own head because it hurts so much..

No.. no more birds for me other then a Pionus. They have all the charms of a macaw, bu the quietness of a chicken :) They want to be your friend, but they want you to understand they need their own space too :heart:

i took in two rescue’s earlier this year. It was late January i think.. Max (the male) only took a month before he nicey stepped up. Yoshi (the lady) still doesnt like me much. She takes a nut from my fingers but thats it :)

but i have time.. :)

brayark

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Chris
Too’s are VERY needy... You will have a todler clamped to your arm all day long. And if they dont like it they will scream.. they will scream untill you want to cut of your own head because it hurts so much..

No.. no more birds for me other then a Pionus. They have all the charms of a macaw, bu the quietness of a chicken :) They want to be your friend, but they want you to understand they need their own space too :heart:

i took in two rescue’s earlier this year. It was late January i think.. Max (the male) only took a month before he nicey stepped up. Yoshi (the lady) still doesnt like me much. She takes a nut from my fingers but thats it :)

but i have time.. :)
Hi I read your posts yesterday on your lovely birds and I'm sorry for your loss I hope. Max and yoshi can help you though your loss

Last edited: