• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

hi! I'm new to the forum and have some vasa questions

MsCreature

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Shy
I do not mean to doubt you, but you also brush off and do not acknowledge any of the advice and concerns that have been offered to you, and I feel very frustrated by this. Joining a forum to research is not a magical "you're ready for a bird" token. Maybe it's because I have been waiting years for a parrot, and am still waiting. I just want to make sure you are aware of what you're getting into, it isn't all fun and games. I do not mean to offend, I just feel that a month is such a short amount of time to go from interest to getting a large parrot, especially one as rare as a Vasa.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
What works for one does not for another and that makes it hard to give information. If we were close one may have comments on how you handle things. My grandkids were great with the birds but not ready for their own which is fine. But I have friends that have had parrots since 5 years old and are now in their 50's. The best we can do is let you know where downfalls have been seen. Also, I can share with you about Vasa :) and her Godmother will post picture soon (I just don't get it yet) I will also send her more. Oh, you can see my Scarlet also and my Vasa loves dive bombing him.

sodakat

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kathy
If I buy the bird it comes with a cage. The only thing that's kind of annoying me is, and I don't mean to offend anybody but, if I came on this forum and had already bought this bird I would be recieving advice about how to care for it and feed it and all that stuff(which I've been reading from other threads) but, since I'm looking to buy a bird and am taking my time to do research and going the extra mile by figuring out what I need to know a head of time, some of what I've gotten back is negativity and a lot of doubt, although I'm a fan of constructive criticism and some bring up good points, but really if there is something involved with the bird that can effect me or the bird, I've probably already considered. I do like when u guys through "what ifs" at me :hehe: But if I truly thought the bird would have a crappy life with me, I wouldn't get it! I'm not one of those people that wants a bird because of how pretty it is or anything like that, I want a companion bird that can be with me for a huge portion of my life. It's not like I was like "hey let's spend a bunch of money on a bird to watch it sit in the corner and slowly kill itself" I obviously came on here because I care and want to be a good parrot parent. I didn't mean to offend anyone, I know I don't have the experience as you guys but I just talk to a lady who owns over 40 birds and she said I should be good hahaha so I'm going for it with or without the support of people on the internet. I still love to read the great info you guys are giving me and I'm super thankful because I have learn a lot, especially from the actual vasa owners. I just don't like getting doubted :) Thanks and sorry if I offended anyone, it had to be said.
If I have offended you I apologize. It is not my intention. I hope you do become a parrot owner -- just not yet. But, I won't nag on you anymore. The way I look at it, as a long time parrot owner who has made many mistakes myself, I would be remiss if I didn't discourage you from making an impulsive decision. I've given up birds over the years because things changed in my life where keeping them was not the best option. Just trying to give some perspective.

David D

Strolling the yard
Haha sorry guys, I just got a little frustrated and you are all right. I need to make sure I'm making the decision for both me and the bird. And no matter how much I want to get the vasa it all comes down to my dad. And I have about a month to do more research and to make sure that me and the vasa will be perfect together. Sorry for going off, that wasn't directed towards anyone haha I was just annoyed:wtf:

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
No matter what animal you get, learning about behavior is important as this arms you well to have a good relationship with your bird. Pay off...parents have found learning behavior with birds has them presenting a more positive approach to child rearing. It helps you develop ideas on care . It makes you think. Some of use have changed our ideas and I found there was a tie in to improved management skills. There are a lot of positives.

Tinta

Avenue Veteran
The thing that bothers me is that you spent parts of 3/4 of a month looking at many different species of birds and then pretty much only the last week researching vasas? (as implied in your post, anyway)
And you think you know the species is perfect for you now because...?
I think one of the things you said was that they were quiet, but there is an owner on here with a vasa and a grey and she will tell you her vasa is much louder than her grey. But that's just one point.

So now you've met and fallen for a bird and if you do get her, you only have a month to get ready. To do more research, to plan out her space, to get her enough toys and the right foods.

I've spent the last three years researching this species, learning the subspecies, diet, ability, anatomy. And I still worry that I don't know enough, yet.

People are questioning you before you get the bird because it is always wisest to "look before you leap". If you had the bird already we would be trying our best to help you, for the best of the bird. You don't have a bird yet so we are questioning you, for the best of your future bird.

Of the two situations I'd always rather be questioned beforehand so I could prepare, rather than given hasty advise after the fact and getting in over my head.

Last edited:

David D

Strolling the yard
Unfortunately, my parents have decided that they aren't getting me the bird.. Thank you for all the information, it was extremely helpful! Sorry for wasting your time and hopefully I can get a bird in the future :crycry:

RJ Noodle

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Zetra
David, I am so sorry you will not be getting your bird right now. Chin up! It will come!

AlphaWolf

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Abdel
:( :crycry: OH my, I'am sorry! Maybe they are just saying this to make it as a christmas surprise!

Tinta

Avenue Veteran
Use this time to learn more and interact with more parrots. Try volunteering at a rescue or something, so you can see and learn more first hand.
This isn't a "never". It's a "wait". Make sure you're prepared for when the time comes.

AlphaWolf

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Abdel
David, my parents 5 times decided not to get parrots and each time I learnt a bit more. Then finally they agreed! Don't lose hope, the community will one day need your knowledge and expertise :) :unsure1:.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
The knowledge shared will never be 'wasted'. Hope you can get your bird some day. :hug8:

FidFlock

Real Name
Nikki
Try volunteering at a local bird rescue, or even the store where you were going to get your bird. I volunteer at my local bird store, and it helps me get closer to all birds, including species I don't have. It's a great experience :D

Cheer up, learn, explore! Getting a bird is only part of this experience! :hug8:

Maxsmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
:hello1:

SureAsNone

Real Name
Rashel
IMO, if you learned anything from the members who posted, then it wasn't a waste of anyone's time. ;)
I hope you stick around on the forum. You may not be getting a parrot right now, but there is all kinds of wonderful information on here, and then when you do get your first bird, you'll know all the more and be all the more prepared. :)

Thatdude596

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ryan
Do you think it's maybe a surprise Xmas present?

David D

Strolling the yard
The last time they surprised me with anything was in the 4th grade. The birds are weaned by the 15th and I don't think the money is going to be there that soon..

Thatdude596

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ryan
Well it's not that big of deal and maybe when your older and on your own you can get one then. ;)