• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

hi, idk how to properly do this. budgie help please!

PeachCake

Moving in
Real Name
Liam
i got my budgies from petco, and i have had them for about 14 months and i still have no clue what gender they are.

i'm pretty sure matcha (green) is a boy because of his blue cere? but i don't know for sure because i was told that blue cere doesn't always mean a male budgie?

but with mochi (blue) i have no idea what gender they are. i think they might be younger than matcha because of their cere not really being a definable color i can tell?? it kinda looks a bit blue but i really don't know.

i was hoping that some experts or something can help me! and i was also wondering if it's easy to tell how old they are. they both had pale pink ceres when i first got them. other than that, idk. they have stopped molting as much as they used to, though, which i was told is an indicator of age as well. and i can see the iris in matcha's eyes, so i'm thinking matcha is older... yeah. thank you!

Attachments

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Not an expert, but love these threads! I vote boy for both. There is some lightening around the nostrils, but I believe their blue is too blue to be the pale girl blue. So I think they're youngish boys, but others will know for sure.

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Do you have any other recent pictures? There is more white around the nostrils than I would expect from an adult male, but the blue is darker than you usually see in a girl. Could be out-of-season boys or girls, in my opinion.

This is the color for a male budgie in mating condition with a bright blue cere:

20210103_143330.jpg

This is an immature female with a pale blue cere:

20200823_185435.jpg

PeachCake

Moving in
Real Name
Liam
Do you have any other recent pictures? There is more white around the nostrils than I would expect from an adult male, but the blue is darker than you usually see in a girl. Could be out-of-season boys or girls, in my opinion.

This is the color for a male budgie in mating condition with a bright blue cere:

View attachment 394879

View attachment 394880
Thank you! I'll take more pictures right away. I wish Mochi liked my phone more so they'd let me take pictures of them close up- I'll see what I can do!

PeachCake

Moving in
Real Name
Liam

View attachment 394879

View attachment 394880
Alright, I got more pictures! I'm sorry for the bad lighting. This is just in my bedroom and it's nighttime right now :( But I hope the pictures help! matcha pic.jpg mochi.jpg

Dorcas George

i got my budgies from petco, and i have had them for about 14 months and i still have no clue what gender they are.

i'm pretty sure matcha (green) is a boy because of his blue cere? but i don't know for sure because i was told that blue cere doesn't always mean a male budgie?

but with mochi (blue) i have no idea what gender they are. i think they might be younger than matcha because of their cere not really being a definable color i can tell?? it kinda looks a bit blue but i really don't know.

i was hoping that some experts or something can help me! and i was also wondering if it's easy to tell how old they are. they both had pale pink ceres when i first got them. other than that, idk. they have stopped molting as much as they used to, though, which i was told is an indicator of age as well. and i can see the iris in matcha's eyes, so i'm thinking matcha is older... yeah. thank you!
So cute! I’m not an expert but I think it’s pretty certain you have two adorable boys!

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yep! A budgie boy gang... Be warned, most probably you won't be considered as a flock member (if you are not veeeeery lucky)... My boys completely ignore me :lol: I just LOVE this pic:heart:, they're so handsome!

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
No, individual boys are very friendly. But when they form a flock, they are less interested in humans... Of course, this may be my personal experience. But when chirik got chakmoki, I was no more important:crycry:

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Seriously? Budgie boys are less “friendly?” Never heard this before!
Bdw, your avatar pic reminds me of my beloved Chanchu and Charki... Both crossed the rainbow Bridge. Plz keep posting their photos and tag me

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
These charts may help in future

budgie cere.jpg Cere on budgies.jpg