• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hi I was gone for 3 weeks due to 2 cancer operations. I have been back 2 mo/ and my cocatiels will not let me pet thier heads like they use to do.

razer

Meeting neighbors
Hi I was gone for 3 weeks due to 2 cancer operations. I have been back 2 mo/ and my cocatiels will not let me pet thier heads like they use to do. What can I do

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
You've been back 2 months, they should be fine... Have you scared them or handled them roughly recently? Have you been spending time with them, at least 2 hours every day? Are they possibly sick? Has anything changed other than you leaving? Food, temp, family, smells, cage location?

Any of these can be reasons they aren't acting normal.

razer

Meeting neighbors
I did not do anything new. They are not sick. Of course I spend time with them I feed them, talk to them, change their water and clean the cage just like before I had my operations.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I hope you're feeling better. You may have to just start at step one with them. Spend time sitting with them, talking to them, try hand feeding them some millet, etc.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
How old are they? If they are going through puberty, that could be the cause. Has your appearance changed at all? I agree, going back to square one might be your best bet. Also, if you can spend time with them separately that might help. I hope you will recover quickly!

tjc

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tammy
I hope you are feeling better and have a good prognosis. I’ll certainly say prayers for you. Who did they stay with? We’re they familiar with these people. Perhaps they petted them too aggressively.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Just curious if your energy levels might have changed with all you’ve been through. Our birds pick up on much more than we often realise.

razer

Meeting neighbors
I hope you are feeling better and have a good prognosis. I’ll certainly say prayers for you. Who did they stay with? We’re they familiar with these people. Perhaps they petted them too aggressively.
h

razer

Meeting neighbors
They stayed at home in the same room. my husband fed them. . 1 of the birds picked him. What a shame because he does not spend a lot a time with them. Oh well I started to play instrmental music and they love it.

razer

Meeting neighbors
My birds are 9 momths old and the mom is 2 years. My energy is lower, but I talk the same to them feed them and give them fresh water. They still land on my head and my shoulders, but won't let me give them scratches. At least they love the easy listening music I play for them.