• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hi, i just joined the forum. I have something to ask regarding cockatiel's sudden aggressive behavior, maybe puberty?

Mel.17735

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
mel
i got my baby cockatiel almost one and a half year ago (so he's a few months away from being the age of 2). He's always been the sweetest and lets me pet him. however he met my aunt and now he's obsessed with her...and ignores me TwT but that not extremely important. the first few times He keeps chasing my aunt, whistling and screaming sometimes but my aunt justs ignores him. as this continues he grows more aggressive. lately he's been biting me until it drew blood multiple times once (he would always fly back at me to bite my ears and lips, its very painful) . I searched this up and the most likely result is puberty or hormonal change. um the problem is usually hormonal change occurs to tiels from 6 to 12 months. i guess my tiel is just abit lat? i'm not sure. and another thing i wanted to ask is how do i deal with this as his bites aren't pecks of affection or fear neither (he gives absolutely no warning :-:)

he could have an issue with height dominance, some of my friends says height dominance doesn't occur between cockatiels... i'm confused

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
It sounds like he’s hormonal, which can happen every year, often in the spring or fall. Is your aunt always home? Sounds like he is frustrated with not being able to have the relationship he wants with her. If she’s not always there, I would put him in his cage when she’s around. Does he only bite you when your aunt is around? Try doing some short training sessions with him when your aunt isn’t there or when she isn’t in the same room, which will help distract him and build your relationship. Try to avoid the bites because they will quickly become a habit. Perch training and keeping him busy with foraging activities might also help.

Mel.17735

Real Name
mel
It sounds like he’s hormonal, which can happen every year, often in the spring or fall. Is your aunt always home? Sounds like he is frustrated with not being able to have the relationship he wants with her. If she’s not always there, I would put him in his cage when she’s around. Does he only bite you when your aunt is around? Try doing some short training sessions with him when your aunt isn’t there or when she isn’t in the same room, which will help distract him and build your relationship. Try to avoid the bites because they will quickly become a habit. Perch training and keeping him busy with foraging activities might also help.
Ahh i see, yes she's always at home and he bites me only when she's around too.
i tried perch training and i built multiple foraging toys for him but he doesn't like them. So up til now he always just stood on my shoulder preening (sometimes mocking my cat XD) but thank you so much and i will definitely keep your advice.

Mel.17735

Real Name
mel
It's most likely hormonal, you'll need to watch his body language,,,learn it, if he looks piffed, or like he wants to bite, then leave him to his vices, this will pass,
@Tiel Feathers
@rocky'smom
I have tried that, he hardly gives warning signs actually. He would feel irritated for on being able to perch on my aunt then immediately flies back to me and bite my ears and lips. Hopefully this phase passes soon but thank you so much for your advice^^

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:welcome2:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue