• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hi! I’m new & seeking some advice...

ChanceLove

Moving in
Real Name
Jay
So here’s a summary of my story. I got Chance when I was five. We were BFF immediately. I adore her. She was about a year old when we got her. Her first night here she really touched me. She cried. A tear rolled from her eye I didn’t animals could cry. Never saw this before and never saw it again. But it made me feel like I needed to make her feel at home! Her name is Chance because we won her in a raffle at a bird fair. She bonded extremely close to me and my mother. I was a troubled child and Chance and I grew up around a lot of violence and yelling. My dad’s kicked her before. She used to have a horrible temper. I moved out at 16 and knew the way I was living was no environment for Chance. My dad left and stayed gone when I was 14 and Chance loved my mom. My mom was depressed and Chance barely got attention. Our back porch is screened in and full of bird stuff so she went outside everyday but still very little attention. At 16 I was arrested for a serious charge that I knew meant jail time down the road. I didn’t actually go to prison until I was 21. At age 20 I felt stable enough for Chance to come live with me. When she did she attacked me nonstop all day. Once again I just remember being so touched her, she was angry at the world like I was. I’d talk to her, by day two I could handle her just fine. Unfortunately the man I lived with and I fought all the time so I had a decision to make. Either send Chance back to my mom’s or both of us go back. I chose to go with her. While I lived with this man Chance got used to a certain routine. She got Zupreem during the day, and a plate of dinner at night, fruits vegetables a little wheat bread, different every night. I read that they are like people in the sense that they require a variety of foods. She got comfortable and used to attention but unfortunately I had prison time hanging over my head. I cared more about Chance going to back to no love and attention than I actually cared about the time I had. Chance and my mom used to be close but my mom suffered from depression and it made her do nothing but sleep all day and have no energy. I begged my mom daily to rekindle her bond with Chance and she agreed. I left long care instructions, foods she liked best, etc. my mom went above and beyond for Chance. To this day Chance’s temperament is amazing. She used to attack new people now, she might just let them pick her up! They had a wonderful bond. In the beginning of ‘15 I went away for almost five years. Chance had my mom and my mom had Chance so everything was okay. I did my time in peace. Unfortunately, in Feb or Mar my mom found out she had stage four lung cancer. I only had about six months left I never thought I wouldn’t make it home in time. But that’s exactly what happened. My mom didn’t want to take Chance out of her cage when she was sick she was scared she’d fall asleep or not be able to handle Chance if something bad happened (like my sister’s stupid cat getting to Chance or something :/) But my mom slept in the living room in the room with Chance, they watched TV, she’d talk to her, etc. then my mom passed away. Her funeral was on her birthday. I know it left Chance heartbroken because not only was I gone but now Mom was too. I know she felt like she was the only one left in her “flock”. A couple of months ago I got released. No warm welcome, I don’t care for my family, they don’t care for me either. My mom told me when I got out Chance was going to be furious at me because she was going to feel like I left. After a pretty bad car ride I opened the door and who do I see? Chance!! And any bird owner knows how expressive their faces are. Her face lit up with relief. I ran over to her but she DID attack lol. I let her, kept trying to handle her, but she wanted to bite so I decided she should go spend time on her porch. I took her out there. At some point someone opened the door and she got it and started cutting up, trying to bite people, and I immediately ran over and held my arm out and told her to step up. She looked at me like I was crazy at first, but she did,& ever since then we’ve been fine. My sister and her cat (thank God about the cat, not my sister) moved out shortly after I came home. Chance needed shopping more than me I figured (I’m on house arrest lol) so she got a new cage with a play area on top. She got lots of toys (that she could care less about. Paper towels and furniture are still her fave) she’s actually just starting to play with them. Everything’s okay now, for the most part. She’s depressed. Sometimes she’ll stare off sadly into space. The other day she was on her porch, and she can see outside and the driveway going to the mailbox. I opened the door to go get the mail and saw it had begun to lightly drizzle. Rain couldn’t get to Chance but she doesn’t really care for it so I said to myself, I’m gonna go get her. I started running down the driveway, and she saw me and thought I was leaving again and she just started screaming nonstop it was horrible. She sounded so afraid, it broke my heart. What can I do to make her feel better? This house was TRASHED when I came home almost unlivable. I’m very busy getting it back together, but when I’m in the back cleaning I leave the TV on for her (just got a new huge one for her lol. Getting it hooked up tonight) she likes cartoons. She has LOTS of toys (but still eats my antiques,little brat) she gets treats and zupreem fruit blend and water and juice and all that. My questions are what can I do to ease her depression and fear? She’s smart, blows your mind really. She catches on quick. Not gonna lie she may tricked me once or twice How can I make her feel more comfortable? I’d love some ideas. Also, she eats zupreem fruit blend for macaws. Is that enough? I give her about a scoop a day. Plus treats. If I eat it and it’s safe for her to eat, she gets some. She enjoys body armour juice. I ordered her a broad spectrum antibiotic Amtyl just to be safe. She has two more days of it, followed by Potent Brew. All of my research says Amtyl is fine. I’m doing this bc the last time I took her to the vet she got antibiotics because stress was causing no good bacteria to be in her tummy and the bad bacteria was causing stomach upset. She’s eating and drinking. Playful as ever. I can’t really afford a vet but believe me if she needs one she’ll go, even if I have to pawn my mom’s rings or something who cares, that’s what my mom would want anyway. I’d just rather not if I don’t have to, you know? Is this safe though, I’m asking here as well as thoroughly researching this. But you guys know what you’re talking about and have experience. She’s showing no adverse side effects. I have potent brew probiotic for her when the antibiotics are done. Thank you for reading and thank you for your thoughts, ideas, and opinions!!

Attachments

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
Welcome you and chance you had a hard life but I’m glad you’re doing better chance need time to grieve for your mother As do you

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to both of you :hiya:

I am very sorry to hear of your mothers passing :sorrow:

Chance is very very beautiful. I hope things continue to improve for you both.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Wow, you and Chance have had a hard, hard life.
Now it's time for you both to grow, heal and learn to live again.
You've come to the right place, many on here have been in similar situations.
The members here will understand and be able to support you and chance.
Welcome to you both!

P.S. Chance is beautiful!

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden

Beasley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maggie Beasley
Welcome to the Avenue! I wish you and Chance the best and brightest of futures!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Jay and Chance! :starshower1:
He´s beautiful!
I´m very sorry for your loss.

Why are you giving him antibiotics? I must have missed what you said is wrong with him?

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Welcome to you Jay, and your beautiful Chance. So good to hear that life is improving for both of you. I can only imagine how sad you were when your Mom passed away. I'm so sorry - sending you big hugs.
We love pics here, so keep them coming okay? Ok, I have a question - I guess Chance would know it is you even if you put a hoodie on to go check the mail if he is seeing you from the porch, but I would try to shield him from thinking you are leaving again maybe. I can only imagine developing a 'mail disguise', to check your own mail!
:rofl:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome! I am sorry for your loss.

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Welcome Jay and Chance! I wish I could give you both a hug. You've both been through so much. I'm glad you are together now.
You know Chance well and are doing a good job researching things.
I don't know how long ago your Mom passed away, but parrots, especially ones as smart as Chance really will grieve a loss for several months at least.
There's no way to know if the antibiotics were what Chance needed but I'm glad you found a decent probiotic to give.
I live alone too, and the only advice I'd have at this point is to have a backup plan and someone who knows about Chance in case you can't be around, even for a night.
You're all she's got and so she gets scared when you leave. I usually never go out at night but after my husband died I was attending an evening session of a grief group and one of my birds plucked out many feathers because he got upset I was gone too.
Give her time, broaden the "flock" if you can, and I hope you'll stay in touch here and let us know how you are both doing.

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
:welcomesign: you've found a good place to get support! I'm sorry about your loss, and identify with some of your story. I've been talking to Monaco like I would a person when she talks about the friends she's lost. I can't tell what emotion is behind her words, but I figure it is similar to the way we get reminded of our past and wax nostalgic complete with emotions tied to the memory. I acknowledge she's remembering them and try to comfort her if she seems to need it. Good luck with your kiddo and rebuilding.