• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hi from South Africa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Annie1920

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Anne-Marie
I have rescued 2 speckled Mouse Birds in the last 18 months. My first one named Speckles (original - isn't it), is about 18 months old and we found her in our house estate with a broken bottom beak, we honestly thought she wasn't going to survive, however after giving her lots of TLC and feeding her AV Plus baby bird food, she is now a healthy, cheeky little bird. Our second one named Sparkles was given to us by some friends that found her in their garden, she had fallen out of her nest and sadly broke her pelvic bone. Unfortunately after months of massaging her legs and a visit to the vet, we were told that she would not have use of her legs. She is however perfectly healthy and happy otherwise. She flies everywhere and eats constantly. I do think they have a bit of Italian in them, as they love cooked spaghetti! I know it is very naughty but they are crazy about human food like fruity yoghurt/butternut and gree peas. Their daily diet consists of paw-paw/banana/lettuce/apple. They say that it is important for them to get some protein e.g. from insects, however I have never seen them eat any insects, so Speckles does love a little bit of chicken now and then.

I have been in communication with Susanne who referred me to this wonderful forum and she has been extremely helpful in terms of advice as we are immigrating to Florida in June and I really want to take my babies with me, however it is not an easy process!! I look forward to recieving your thoughts or advice.

Blazeybird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Houston
Welcome! I know you will love to wander our streets and meet your neighbors! Nice to meet you :)

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Hello and welcome!!

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Hi Anne-Marie, I am glad you could join us :)

As to protein you can get some Bee pollen in granules form at a heath food store. All my mousebirds love it sprinkled on their fruit plates. It is a great source of proteins, amino acids, vitamins and minerals.

I have 4 bratty babies I am weaning (2 white-backed, and 2 blue-naped) and I will have to try some spagetti with them. They are always begging when they see me eat anything. I bet my bratty girls would eat chicken if offered. Fruity Yogurt is also good for them too. I started putting some on all my mousebirds fruit.

Paw-Paw is about the only fruit I can not find in South Florida. But all love Papaya.

Can't wait to see pix's of your mousebirds.

If you ever see any wild mousebirds in your garden can you post pix's. What type of flowers do they like to eat. Mine love Hibiscus and Penta flowers.

Good luck with you venture of moving to the States.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome I am glad you joined :hug8:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
This will be great..I can't wait to hear of your adventures of moving to FL. :dancing:Susanne and I spoke tonight on the phone, and I had asked who you were.{having two speckled mousers} Susanne is an awesome person, and she sure knows her birds. Do you have any pics of your babies? I am glad you joined us here at Avian Avenue. All the members are really nice.:hug8:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Annie, I spoke to your sister a couple times in the last few days. A very nice lady with a wonderful voice. I can tell she loves you very much. I am going to contact Cassie and maybe you can see if that is an option for your situation. Susanne has graciously said if you come to the states she will give you a couple mousebirds. I hope things will work out for your two.:hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.