• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hi from Anna and me in St Maarten

Barcann

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Barbara
Hello everyone
It's been a while since I posted.
Life with Anna is like having a naughty child in the house. Sometimes she is so much fun and so loving and other times she is a very bad girl.
She is very affectionate with me and I whenever I go in the aviary or take her out, all she wants to do is cuddle.
BUT she is a first class grouch before she gets her breakfast.
There is a small door which we can open to put in food.
Sometimes she just watches me. Other times, she flies at me in a huff...like this morning.
I decided to ignore her because she had absolutely no food or water. WRONG THING TO DO!
She warned me, I didn't listen, and she swooped down and bit me on my hand. Ouch! She got me good too!
I have no idea why she is so grouchy in the mornings. The rest of the day she is fine.
Anyone have any clues to this behavior?
So today I am a wounded cockatoo owner.

hand.jpg
In better days, we are best of friends
ANNA AND ME JAN 2019.jpg

Tanya

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
A couple things could be at play. If she doesn't have food or water overnight and feels hungry/thirsty on the AM, she may be impatient to get breakfast. This could be remedied by making sure she has water and some sort of non-spoiling food (like pellets) overnight. Although if she loves breakfast enough, watch out of you try the trick of showing up without her eats! There's a lot of vocal asking for breakfast at our house if I'm slow to deliver. And during those times I'm sure to only show up if I have chop in hand.

Its also worthwhile to remember that birds are individuals in their time of day preferences. Rhubird is a night owl, always trying to stay up past bedtime and super slow to come out of her sleep cage in the morning. Lemmy is the exact opposite. If we forget to put him to bed on time (in his opinion), he'll announce "Go Night Night" and take himself to bed. It's uncanny how he is almost always within 10 minutes of official bedtime. He's a crank if we try to stop him from going to bed but is so pumped to start the morning each day!

Barcann

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Barbara
Thanks for the reply. Anna does have food left over night so that's not a problem. I think she just doesn't do mornings well, like your Rhubird

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
MC is slow and grouchy in the morning.

Secret is grouchy at night.

They're all individuals and as humans we learn by getting bit. Painful but learning experience. MC nailed me twice when I carried him by Secret's cause. Twice - because I knew better and did it again. We're working on that issue now.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Some birds are just not morning birds. My BFA Casey is very grumpy in the AM but snaps out of it later and is back to being his usual sweet self.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My sulfur crest was pretty grouchy in the morning for several years. I just kept her caged in the morning and was careful with my fingers when I fed her. For whatever reason, she's stopped being like that. Maybe it has something to do with the fact I'm feeding veggies more often in the evenings now. My goffin's can still be a problem in the mornings. Definitely no kisses on the face for him until much later in the day.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I'm sorry she bit you.:sadhug2: But I'm glad you two have such an otherwise loving relationship. That 2nd picture is just precious! :loveshower:

I wonder if you could offer her a long snack or toy, like a carrot or stick, through the wires of her aviary before you start changing her food and water? Even if she doesn't eat it, she might be content to shred the peace offering. :shrug:

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
All my birds will nip if they're hungry. If Fred (my Galah) really wants his seed mix he will nip so I have to keep my hands out of the way. He also really likes his spring mix & arugula and while I fill his foraging basket I watch HIM and his body language. If I fiddle too much with it he will go after me. Luckily he does not bite me, he grabs me and gives me a good pinch when he's irritated but I also am careful not to irritate too much. Right now his 6 week independent stage seems to be coming to an end, thank goodness!

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
You know...something else I thought of. My fred is never totally out of food or water. That said, wait until later in the Morning to give her fresh food and water? Like a couple hours later than you usually do?
Sometimes I go to work for 5am. I do not bother the birds at 4:30. I just make sure they have what they need and change out food and water early afternoon when I get home. If I try to do it at 4:30 Fred screams and does the full wing display, and I know full well he's not excited to see me! :banghead::hehe: