• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hi all :)

MrPlankton

Meeting neighbors
Hi all, I'm new on this wonderful forum.

I'm from the Netherlands and since 5 yr. we have a lovebird as a member of the family. I've found him in our front yard and managed to catch him with a towel.
At first we've kept hem loose in our smallest bedroom, as I didn't have a cage. Right after we captured him I gave him some seeds which we happened to have for feeding wild birds, pigeon food I believe :-s
At least he could eat something.
His wings were hanging down and he looked very tired and anxious.
For 3 days he was on the internet as a lost and found bird but never received a response from anyone.
So I went searching for a new home for him, and on the day he was supposed to head for his new home we changed our mind and decided to keep him.

Several months before, in April, I found an injured Jackdaw. Long story short, he unfortunately died a week later. I was very sad but we could see it coming.
Then my wife said to me "you tried your best, a new bird will come to you, you will see".

5 months later, in September, I heard a lovebird calling outside but I could not see him. When I came back from walking our dog and sat on the couch I again heard the lovebird. I looked out the window, and finally; there he was, on the ground in a corner between the hedge I looked into this little white feathered face...my wife gave me a towel, I went outside and managed to quickly put it over him, I grabbed him and he screamed in panic and bit me but I held onto him.

So when we decided it was him who chose us and not vice versa, we felt we had to make our home his home.

This all happened in 2017. He is wearing a ring from 2016.

After a couple of days getting used to his new cage and the living room, I let him out, he was not tame at all (not to us at least). When I wanted to put him back in his cage I took a long stick with millet spray on the end of it so he would step on it, started eating it and this way I could "shove" him back in his cage :)
This was a daily routine for a while until I noticed his curiosity / interest / trust towards us started getting the overhand. He started coming closer and closer, landing on the couch armrest, walking on the couch, landing on my leg and one day he climbed up to my shoulder and started preening himself. When he was done, he pressed himself against my neck and fell asleep.

Now he's part of the family, a tiny personality with so many emotions. It's a true privelege to be in the presence of such a wonderful little spirit. I love him to bits.

Unfortunately he's not doing well atm but I'll save that for another time, I want to keep this post positive :)

His name is Gino, and his nickname is Mr. Plankton :)

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hello and Welcome!! 1.welcome signs.gif

That is an incredible story!! I´m glad he found his way to you and you´ve taken such good care of him :)

Funnily enough, 5 years ago I also found a lovebird, right on my doorstep (my dog alerted me she was there), and she could be your birds twin! They look so similar!!! I also believed she came to me for a reason, and with the genetics she has and my bird have, well its´a long story. It´s nice to read such a similar story to my own :bliss:

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
:hello: Welcome to the Avenue.
What an amazing story of how you got your wee lovebird, who is a cutey :heart2:
Looking forward to hearing more stories about Gino. :)

MrPlankton

Meeting neighbors
Thank you @Zara and @Icey, your birds look so happy 1669289506486.png
it's funny sometimes how things find their way into our lives and the impact they're having.
I'm considering getting him a (girl)friend sometime next year :)

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
:welcomegroup: Mr.Plankton is so cute :heart: What a coincidence that you and Zara found a lovebird in the same way :wideyed:

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
:welcomesign:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran