• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hi all - new member

Mikekie

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Mike
I bet your area is beautiful. Do you have any phoos to share? I love your birdie story.
Thank you Dianne - everyone has made me feel so welcome - what a great group of people. Yes we live in a beautiful country and I will collate a few pics to put on here for you to view. Keep in touch. Have a wonder Easter week end.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to you, Helena, and Kuifie! :)

I know very little about Mousebirds...they seem like a very interesting species...:)

Mikekie

Real Name
Mike
Morning Bob from a sunny South Africa. Thank you for your welcome and yes Mousebirds are so interesting. They are very social birds (which makes them ideal pets in captivity as they bond freely with the two legged featherless species!)) and have a low body core temperature - to keep warm through the nights and cold days you will see them clustering together like grapes with close body contact to keep each other warm. I could spend hours just watching them and observing their social habits. Have a great Easter week end

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Hello! We live in the same continent, mouse birds are adorable aren't they? Such an amazing story you have of your birdy!

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome! What a sweet story!

Mikekie

Real Name
Mike
OKAAY that's a tad away from Langebaan ! As you will be aware most farmers do not like mouse-birds because a flock can ravage a fruit plantation. This is such a pity and they have received a lot of negative publicity because of this. Don't know what the solution is as one can understand the farmers frustrations BUT they are such wonderful birds and aught to be recognized for what they are.

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
OKAAY that's a tad away from Langebaan ! As you will be aware most farmers do not like mouse-birds because a flock can ravage a fruit plantation. This is such a pity and they have received a lot of negative publicity because of this. Don't know what the solution is as one can understand the farmers frustrations BUT they are such wonderful birds and aught to be recognized for what they are.
Yeah quite far!!! I think I'm the only one on AA here lol. But I'm moving to Canada real soon, so that will change. Exactly, and IMO the birds are just trying to get food, they don't mean any harm. The fruit is just as much ours as theirs.

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Amen to that!!! Good luck with the move to Canada - I have a sister living there in Calgary. I take it you will be taking your birdie family with you ?
Thank you! Canada is really nice, I'm from there, so it will be nice to go back! Well, unfortunately i don't have these birds anymore, I just keep their pictures as a memory :sorrow:

Mikekie

Real Name
Mike
Well maybe you can adopt a few when you are resettled in Canada :) We only work on rehabilitating injured birds to return them to nature. It is one of the most rewarding experience to watch then return to their true family. It's quite an art to time the release correctly and not to bond too much with them, otherwise it becomes difficult to let them go. The local vet always sends injured birds to us when they come into her clinic by panicky clients who don't know how to handle them.

Not sure but it looks like it's your birthday today? If it is HAPPY BIRTHDAY and trust you will have a good one filled with love and happiness.

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Well maybe you can adopt a few when you are resettled in Canada :) We only work on rehabilitating injured birds to return them to nature. It is one of the most rewarding experience to watch then return to their true family. It's quite an art to time the release correctly and not to bond too much with them, otherwise it becomes difficult to let them go. The local vet always sends injured birds to us when they come into her clinic by panicky clients who don't know how to handle them.

Not sure but it looks like it's your birthday today? If it is HAPPY BIRTHDAY and trust you will have a good one filled with love and happiness.
Yes, I plan on picking up one or two when we settle :) That's amazing, and a really kind thing to do for birds! My birthday was actually few weeks ago, Thank you, really kind!

SquawksNibbles

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kiera
Welcome to the forum, Mike! :greet14: Glad you are here and I loved reading how you helped a baby mousebird and it warms my heart reading about the bond that you and your wife now have with little Kuifie. Can’t wait to hear more about you and your little feathered friend!

harpersmom

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ania
:welcomesign:

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

Sherele Bosman

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi there! I just created a profile and am unsure how to make my own thread on here so figured I'd post here and try my luck.
Yesterday two baby mousebirds were seemingly kicked out of their nest about 5m up a tree. One survived and I tried taking it to my local exotic vet but they were hesitant to help as they don't really want to care for more baby birds - but gave me feeding and pooping instructions.

He made it through the night in a warmed area and snug box but is tiny. Also he makes a strange twitching when I hold him to feed him. But not when he sleeps. It's very much like persistent hiccups.

Does anyone have any advice on what it could be? I don't want him to have another issue from the fall and not treat it in time.

He also has avswollen leg but it is already much better and I was told it isn't broken.

@amypierce do you perhaps think you can help?

Mikekie

Real Name
Mike
Hi Sherele
Very young mousebirds are quite vulnerable when just born but also amazingly resilient. Depending on how young your little bird is perhaps the strange twitching could just be the typical response of babies when about to be fed vis a vis an excited quivering and slight fluttering of the wings in excitement and also to show the parents they are hungary !!! as they normally are all the time ! Let's hope it is just that but the fact that it is not exhibiting these signs when asleep indicates a strong possibility that he/she is just showing anticipation of a yummy feed. The leg will heal in time so don't worry about that. Keep him /her nicely warm as you are doing, feed it often and assist with it's pooping if necessary and he/she should pull through. Then be prepared for a loving grateful little feathered companion that will display his\her love for you non stop 24 seven!!! They are amazing little things and highly intelligent. They say they are as intelligent as a 3yr old human and full of nonsense and very demanding of your attention !

Thinking of you and wishing you every success in raising this little thing to full maturity - the reward is immense.

LynnInColorado

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lynn
We only work on rehabilitating injured birds to return them to nature. It is one of the most rewarding experience to watch then return to their true family. It's quite an art to time the release correctly and not to bond too much with them, otherwise it becomes difficult to let them go.
:hello1: and welcome from the US. I love that there are people here from around the world and that you are doing such important work with your local birds!