• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hi all I think I have a plucker(long)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cece4

Strolling the yard
Hi, Im new to this board and havent yet introduced myself because I have a quick question first.

this last friday I drove 250 miles to pick up this little greencheek.Im very concerned because I think its a plucker.Ive not had to deal with this and have no idea where to start. First off she has only some stubs for tail feathers and under her butt is just fluff.Her wings are severely clipped but I notice that I can see fluff around her wings like she has been plucking there as well.She hasnt any bald spots though.She is 2yo and I think kept outside alone this whole summer(her cage had spider webs, leaves and outside dirt in it).She had a ball and a spool for toys..
Is there anything I should know or do special? I have some training questions as well but Im not sure where to post those..Thanks ahead for any info.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
oh my, first of all, thanks for rescuing this baby

Have you had a chance to make an appt with a avian vet for a check up yet?

not to bombard you with questions, would it be possible to post a pic of her - sometimes that is easier to see what is going on

and Welcome to the Avenue!

:hug8:

Vega

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Joni
Yes, a vet visit to rule out something medical is always the first step. After that...I would be that some good quality care and toys would be a HUGE help in this little ones life. Be sure to feed her a quality diet of pellets, fruits, nuts, whole grains, legumes, and veggies. You can find a ton of suggestions on the boards here. Give her a variety of toys-shreddables, leather, rope, hard woods, soft woods, plastic, etc.

Conures are often referred to as "velcro birds". They crave companionship and will soak in all the time they get to spend with you. But, also be careful not to spoil her early on. Give her only the amount you can give faithfully each day. Its ok to leave her in her cage while you do things around the house. But the one-on-one time is a must as well.

cece4

Strolling the yard
I thought about the vet and am going to see what I can find.She is on an all seed diet.But will takes green grapes as well.I mixed pellets in her seed and she promptly flung them everywhere.I also gave her some mixed veggies on a dish but that was untouched except for the grape I put on top of it.
From what the lady told me she hand fed her from 8days old and got really busy later on and didnt have time for her.She wont come out of the cage so far but will get as close to me in the cage and listen to me talk for a long time.When I put my hand near the cage she goes after it with her beak but not in an aggressive I hate you way, more like a curious who are you way, but she did bite me a bit hard.
I left an introduction and it talks about my other birds as well.Things just havent been going good for me with the conures, especially since I lost my baby, but I am totally hooked on greencheeks and that little attitude.

Also I should add I do have one toy in her cage along with her little tent and alot of fresh wood perches.She doesnt touch the toy I just didnt want to overwhelm her too much..

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Congrats. I would definitely rule out a medical condition, or mites, especially because she was kept outside. After a clean bill of health from an avian vet, you can start just by giving her lots of baths and lots of things to do and play with. She might just stop on her own if she has stuff to do.

cece4

Strolling the yard
Do I wait till she comes out of the cage on her own? I dont think I should force her, the former owner chased her all around the cage and snatched her up, it wasnt pretty.I dont want her to associate me with that at all...

Jilly

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jill
Taking her to the vet is a risk vs. benefit kind of thing. Do I traumatize her to get her to the vet? Or, can I afford to wait awhile? If she was a young healthy bird you could afford to wait until she's had some training. But in your case I'd go ahead and take her to the vet. She can forgive you later for traumatizing her. In regards to her diet I would encourage you to continue to offer her a varied diet no matter how much food she refuses or throws out. It could take a long, long time for her to choose a variety of healthy food and you just have to get used to the waste.

What part of Kansas are you from?

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Can you transport her entire cage to the vet if it's not too big? That may be an option.

cece4

Strolling the yard
I can take the whole cage, she is in a small one for now so she can be right next to me most the day. The only vet that I know of that is reasonably close is at K state.Im not thrilled with them though.Ive not had to take a bird to them but I did have to take a lizard in once.They dont allow owners back with the animals (I HATE this) ... and its a teaching hospital so everyone back there handles your animal thus stressing them more.BUT it is the only exotic vet around as far as I know.Plus they overcharge at least compared to my local vet..I will have to wait till the 15th since I have to pay cash up front there istead of being billed.
Does anyone know what the vet will do to her?? Will they do skin scrappings or such?
Im not to keen on letting them take blood unless they absolutely have to.

cece4

Strolling the yard
I just called K State and they are not taking any exotics for the next 3 weeks.So does anyone know of an avian vet within an hr of Manhattan? Maybe Topeka?
Wichita is 2 and a half hrs and KC is 4hrs from us.
I may just have to wait but if its mites I dont want it spreading to the other birds.
And with dogs walking around they could hitch a ride even if Tinker is separated. I havent noticed her scratching, just normal occasional preening.. Eating fine, seems alert and happy, she isnt hiding much except when I open the cage she gets nervous.

Vega

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Joni
I would suggest if you do add toys, start them at the bottom of the cage so they aren't a threat to her. My conure is really weird about new things. All new toys have to be shown to him first, then put across the room for a couple days, then the outside of the cage, and eventually into the bottom. After that he's fine with them.

Continue offering the pellets with the seeds, this could take months to convert her. Just be patient. Its like trying to get a kid to pick carrots over cookies. Cookies are ok, but only as a treat.

cece4

Strolling the yard
I just ordered a bunch of stuff from CA birdnerds.I love making toys so thats not a problem as long she will play with them. She mostly eats, and eats.Ive never seen a bird eat so much.
I will try and get pics but I dont know if she is afraid of the camera, most of them dont seem to like it...Her one wing is so short I cant believe it.I wonder if that could be bothering her, thats the wing with the fluffy stuff around the top like shes been plucking there. She took a piece of grape from my hand today with the door open, took her awhile of looking at it before she would touch it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.