• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

HH Toy Recommendations?

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So I've noticed that Target isn't really into toys. She hasn't touched a single one or showed any interest in toys since she came here. Granted, I haven't had her for very long, but she is such a perch potato that I'd like to encourage her to move around and play more. Plus, I think it would help with her barbering issue.

What toys do your HHs like? I've tried a huge hunk of basswood with embedded beads (IGAW), softer balsa with embedded beads (IGAW again), MPBT skewers (1/4" and 1/2" wood), finger traps, palm shredders, wood beads, rope toys (boings, swings, the famous Atom, manila climbing net, OG rescue rope), smaller foot toys. The only thing she's shown any interest in is a single, small piece of jute twine. :huh: Okay... Whatever floats your boat, Target. What else should I try?

wonderb

Avenue Spotlight Award
Olive really likes twine too. She's not a HH though. ;) You could try making a small, simple toy with lots of knots and see how she does. Sometimes a bird who's not really into toys can be intimidated by full sized toys. Olive is about the size of a HH but she loves toys that are considered cockatiel sized. Toys that can be preened are great for birds who display feather destructive behavior.

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you Ellen! I will try that. I've got 1/2" supreme cotton rope in excess. Let's see what I can come up with... :)

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'll make a list of my HH favorites but a lot of what you've listed is on it :) Balsa is great, especially to get them started on something easy. Mine love the mini maze muncher blocks from mpbt and that's about the toughest they go for.

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Maybe, like my Cowboy, who is not a HH, they have to learn how to play. I make small, easy, wood less, or very slim wood toys for him. That has worked great for us.

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'll make a list of my HH favorites but a lot of what you've listed is on it :) Balsa is great, especially to get them started on something easy. Mine love the mini maze muncher blocks from mpbt and that's about the toughest they go for.
When I asked the previous owner what Target likes to play with, she told me rope toys, preening toys, 1/4" and 1/2" pine blocks, and large wood beads. Uhh... with the exception of preening toys (which I will try soon), that's not what I found. :huh: I shall try the balsa again tomorrow, and I'm so glad I ordered some mini maze munchers during their last sale. Thank you :)

I wonder what I'll do with the large pile of wood I purchased from MPBT. The owner lead me to think she was a huge wood chipper. Maybe I'll give it to Josie - she covets everything Target has and truly believes she's a big bird. Napoleon syndrome, see.

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Maybe, like my Cowboy, who is not a HH, they have to learn how to play. I make small, easy, wood less, or very slim wood toys for him. That has worked great for us.
That's probably it. I'm going to start small with Target tomorrow. It's just the previous owner lead me to believe she's an advanced toy player.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Sometimes it takes a bit for them to get comfortable enough to play. Any moment she is playing is a moment she can't pay full attention to her surroundings, do of she isn't comfortable yet, she might be watching around her to see if it's safe. Gizmo didn't play with anything really for about two weeks! I also found that Gizmo needs about 2 weeks of seeing a toy outside her cage, and another week of it inside her cage, before she will even touch it.

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
When I asked the previous owner what Target likes to play with, she told me rope toys, preening toys, 1/4" and 1/2" pine blocks, and large wood beads. Uhh... with the exception of preening toys (which I will try soon), that's not what I found. :huh: I shall try the balsa again tomorrow, and I'm so glad I ordered some mini maze munchers during their last sale. Thank you :)

I wonder what I'll do with the large pile of wood I purchased from MPBT. The owner lead me to think she was a huge wood chipper. Maybe I'll give it to Josie - she covets everything Target has and truly believes she's a big bird. Napoleon syndrome, see.
Once she settles in more she may just surprise you :) Mine will go through phases when they really dig in to the pine toys and then they'll back off for awhile. Cash is the the one that plays the hardest but he doesnt necessarily chip a lot. He likes to hang off toys and just beat the snot out of them. His small corkscrew with mini maze munchers & planks from mpbt is his favorite to do that with. I have it above his corner shelf perch and he will alternate between feeding his egg (ball on the end of the corkscrew) and wrestling with the toy :)

Here are some of their favorites

MPBT: Mother Pluckin' Bird Toys - Home of the ATOM

mini maze munchers
small planks
mini block party (all options for this are great)
I think they would love the small cork boards and tiny wafers too but I havent tried yet (new since I last ordered)

T4W: Things for Wings Canada's Online Bird Supply Store for Parrot Food, Toys & Parts, Accessories

Basket of Cherries

Cherry Busy Basket
Tango
anything on soft and easy toys would be a hit with my HH crew
and they love platform perches (I use a combination of these and the wrought iron corner perches for play & feeding areas in their cage)

IGAW: I Got A Woody Bird Toys - Home

Lots of options on the balsa toys. I tend to stick with toys that are on the smallish side but they can handle big. The smaller ones are just easier to rotate out for me.

I have the Balsa Blast and they tore that up :D They cant manage the base but the cork and balsa was a huge hit (my BFA handled the rest, lol)

Want to get the balsa Stairway to Heaven, this would be a big one for them but they would love it.

Choppers Toys: parrot toys by Choppers Toys.

Mosaic Madness (a favorite for sure)
Small Octopus pinata
Frayed Knot

Cash and Zeva both have a Jolly Ball as well but it is pretty bare because they use it for sleeping. It does have a toy in the center (I re-drilled so it had a solid bottom but not hung with chain as I dont trust them with chain). Hawkies are funny this way and like to have a "tree hollow" :D I picked these because I felt they would be the safest option.

Cash-ball.jpg

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Once she settles in more she may just surprise you :) Mine will go through phases when they really dig in to the pine toys and then they'll back off for awhile. Cash is the the one that plays the hardest but he doesnt necessarily chip a lot. He likes to hang off toys and just beat the snot out of them. His small corkscrew with mini maze munchers & planks from mpbt is his favorite to do that with. I have it above his corner shelf perch and he will alternate between feeding his egg (ball on the end of the corkscrew) and wrestling with the toy :)

Here are some of their favorites

MPBT: Mother Pluckin' Bird Toys - Home of the ATOM

mini maze munchers
small planks
mini block party (all options for this are great)
I think they would love the small cork boards and tiny wafers too but I havent tried yet (new since I last ordered)

T4W: Things for Wings Canada's Online Bird Supply Store for Parrot Food, Toys & Parts, Accessories

Basket of Cherries

Cherry Busy Basket
Tango
anything on soft and easy toys would be a hit with my HH crew
and they love platform perches (I use a combination of these and the wrought iron corner perches for play & feeding areas in their cage)

IGAW: I Got A Woody Bird Toys - Home

Lots of options on the balsa toys. I tend to stick with toys that are on the smallish side but they can handle big. The smaller ones are just easier to rotate out for me.

I have the Balsa Blast and they tore that up :D They cant manage the base but the cork and balsa was a huge hit (my BFA handled the rest, lol)

Want to get the balsa Stairway to Heaven, this would be a big one for them but they would love it.

Choppers Toys: parrot toys by Choppers Toys.

Mosaic Madness (a favorite for sure)
Small Octopus pinata
Frayed Knot

Cash and Zeva both have a Jolly Ball as well but it is pretty bare because they use it for sleeping. It does have a toy in the center (I re-drilled so it had a solid bottom but not hung with chain as I dont trust them with chain). Hawkies are funny this way and like to have a "tree hollow" :D I picked these because I felt they would be the safest option.

View attachment 150144
Thank you so much Jill for the list! I really need to start shopping at Things for Wings soon -- I keep meaning to, but then a sale shows up and depletes my budget. Maybe a sale will push me over the edge soon, *nudge nudge, Danita* :D And OMG, the sleeping hawkie!!!! :heart: Target sleeps hunched over on her highest perch - it doesn't look very comfortable, but that's how she's been sleeping for the past 13 years, apparently. Eh, whatever floats her boat.

What size jollyball do you have for your hawkies? I've both a 10" and 14" one I've yet to hang. Don't know how to hang it so she can see it, but not close enough so it won't scare her.

Oh! And Target finally played with a toy today :heart: A small string of plastic beads on stainless steel chain. It's a start!

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That is the 10" one :) Glad to hear she is playing a bit! :laughing12:

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She was swinging around wildly on her double loop rope swing yesterday :heart: And fiddling around with the chain. It seems she's a fan of plastics and metals :)

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
MPBT small corkscrew skewer to the rescue! She had a medium one before that she didn't touch. I gave her Josie's instead and she's playing (it's okay, Josie can share BB's). :heart: So she prefers 1/4" wood. I hope in time, she will chew the medium refills 'cause I bought loads of that for her thinking she's a big wood chipper :p She's also making use of some of her rope toys now. Sweetie pie :heart:

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Way to go Target :heart: I love those small corkscrew skewers!! Or should I say the Hawkies do? LOL. For the amount of bite pressure they have, it amazes me that they dont seem to go for the thicker stuff. Cash has some toys that he's had since I got him (5.5 years ago!!) and they have been chewed on but definitely still have a lot of life left. The smaller things dont last long so its nice to have a decent supply of things he will really dig into along with a few things that can take a beating :)

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Haha, Josie will not be pleased to learn that she will have to share HER toys :D The more I discover about Target, the more I fall in love with her - even the little things. I learned today that she does not like the colour brown. I usually lay out a white towel on the back of the couch because she likes to hang out there (I should probably find something else as I read that towels can catch toes, although I do think Target's nails are a little too large and blunt for that). Well, it got a bit poopy and went into the wash today, and I replaced it with a brown one. Uh oh!!! FULL crest action, hissing, and then chewing the towel into oblivion. Poor baby girl, what an evil towel it was! White it is, then :D