• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hgb level

Priya12

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Priya
What is a normal Hgb level on a blood test for a parrot

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Last edited:

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I would assume it's different for each species. Ask your vet.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Really something to ask the vet. I understand you wanting to be sure the vet did all they could in the situation they had but try not upset yourself.

Page 608 of link listed in previous post lists African Gray 3rd column so it does vary with species.
HB 14.2 to 17 if HB is HGB I don't see HGB

Range of parameters measured on the Avian CBC with the range of normal values | Beauty of Birds

Don;t see HGB or HB on Pennys Hematology report
Calcium 9.4 Says low CA can cause seizures normal range 8.2 to 10.4
Penny had low cholesterol, low AST, low bile acids but vet did not consider it a potential problem. Have to watch that as it could signal a liver issue.

Priya12

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Priya
Thank you for your help but I’m starting to think it could have been zinc poisoning she always chewed the bathroom cabinets it has white paint on it I knew she wasn’t eating it just chewing over the last couple years I never knew how dangerous that could be , I did ask the vet why x rays weren’t done he said the problem was that they were concerned it’s vascular and we could have done the mri but the problem was they couldn’t control the seizures
Really something to ask the vet. I understand you wanting to be sure the vet did all they could in the situation they had but try not upset yourself.

Page 608 of link listed in previous post lists African Gray 3rd column so it does vary with species.
HB 14.2 to 17 if HB is HGB I don't see HGB

Range of parameters measured on the Avian CBC with the range of normal values | Beauty of Birds

Don;t see HGB or HB on Pennys Hematology report
Calcium 9.4 Says low CA can cause seizures normal range 8.2 to 10.4
Penny had low cholesterol, low AST, low bile acids but vet did not consider it a potential problem. Have to watch that as it could signal a liver issue.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Was a necropsy ever discussed. Even if one was done sometimes it does not come up with a definite cause. There may not have been one cause but continual absorption of zinc over the years could have contributed. I imagine just zinc dust in the mouth & on the tongue not swallowed paint pieces could over time build up toxin.

We can only speculate at this point. Are the cabinets old? Could there be lead paint under new coats? Its good to keep your mind occupied & would be good if you knew so in the future should you get another bird you could avoid the danger. We can't control everything. To give them a good life means giving some liberties or else we'd cage them all the time & even then there are dangers in food & the cage itself. We just try to do the best we can like you did.

Priya12

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Priya
Layla was put down in November we were to heartbroken and decided not to get her body examd but sometimes i think that even if it was it maybe was so far in a whole day or suffering and seizing maybe toxin medication is separate and seizures would fall under supportive care idk I did test the paint for led with testers hopefully I did it right but it was negative and our house was built in .i can’t change the past but I do want parrots in the future and I have learned so much after putting her down I wish I knew before 2000
Was a necropsy ever discussed. Even if one was done sometimes it does not come up with a definite cause. There may not have been one cause but continual absorption of zinc over the years could have contributed. I imagine just zinc dust in the mouth & on the tongue not swallowed paint pieces could over time build up toxin.

We can only speculate at this point. Are the cabinets old? Could there be lead paint under new coats? Its good to keep your mind occupied & would be good if you knew so in the future should you get another bird you could avoid the danger. We can't control everything. To give them a good life means giving some liberties or else we'd cage them all the time & even then there are dangers in food & the cage itself. We just try to do the best we can like you did.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Sorry for some reason I though it just happened. Still its good you do go over everything in the hope of finding some closure. I think you will know when you are ready for another bird.

:sadhug2:

Priya12

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Priya
No when we said our byes to here she was calm but then we got a call that she’s now been seizuring for the last 5 hours ans it’s happening so consistently and frequently and damage has to be done to her and she’s just suffering now and she’s not responding to the seizures medication and we are just prolonging death and putting her thru a mri and her chances would be 0 of coming out of the mri that’s when we decided to end her pain
Sorry for some reason I though it just happened. Still its good you do go over everything in the hope of finding some closure. I think you will know when you are ready for another bird.

:sadhug2:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I would have done the same thing under those circumstances. You did the best you could for her in life & the best you could do so she would not suffer needlessly before passing.

Priya12

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Priya
I am sending you virtual hugs the past month have not been the easiest but you have definitely helped me a lot, I wish you well and just have a great day, now I just need to trust myself and my family about our decision because in that moment I don’t remember everything the docter said that could have been the reason we did what we did , and just trust the doctor because it was he who was treating her not me .She seizure free now . Thank you a lot
I would have done the same thing under those circumstances. You did the best you could for her in life & the best you could do so she would not suffer needlessly before passing.