• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hey UrbanSylvanus .... falling at night

NorthernGannet

Sprinting down the street
Hi - I just saw your thread on the Bird Emergency...site about your linnie falling that one night. Apparently I have insufficient priviledges to respond over there, so I'm hoping 1) you'll see this here and 2) maybe others can chime in!

I wanted to say that one of mine will occasionally tumble off the perch in the middle of the night as well. Maybe once or twice a month?? It's not that often, and I'm not sure which one of linnies it is, or maybe they take turns. Haha. Their cage gets zero light or shadows from outside and is partially covered, just like yours. I had not viewed it as a problem, figured maybe one pushed his sleeping buddy too hard or something like that. They sleep on a perch that is easy to grip and is about 3/4" diameter. I always listen to make sure I hear the sounds of climbing back up. If I didn't, I'd go check on things but so far so good.

I did put a towel under the paper (no grates for me) to soften the landing a bit.

-NG

UrbanSylvanus

Strolling the yard
Well, you definitely caught my attention lol.

I originally posted about it there since I haven't heard Machi fall in his old cage before and I got worried (he seems fine currently btw)

I heard the same frantic flapping yesterday night as well but when I went to check he was still on his perch (albeit the one lower than where he usually sleeps) so I can't say I'm sure what he's doing during the night haha
I went to uncover his cage one morning and found him hanging upside down from his cage bars. We stared at eachother for a while before I called him a weirdo, he righted himself, and that was that :roflmao:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
@NorthernGannet just so you know for next time, if you want to alert another member to a thread or post you can tag them like I just tagged you.
Put the @ symbol and then the members name (no space in between) and it will send them an alert like you would have got for this post I just made.
Hope this helps for next time :)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
@UrbanSylvanus I am not actually sure if it would be the same cause but Burt has some the whole frantic flapping thing, falling off the perch, clinging on side of cage in a panic type things a few times when he was younger. I finally discovered the cause was usually a flying insect of one sort or another so I’ve been extra careful and aware of making sure I don’t let them in and if I do see any in the house I get them cleared out well before bed time. Same for any creepy crawlies like the commonly known Click Beetles that always find their way inside somehow. We get lots of flying insects too where I live that are often attracted to lights so they sneak in when I let the dogs in and out. If one of these gets close to Burt during the day he tries to eat them but at night he carries on like they are trying to kill him.
Could something like a mosquito possibly be scaring your bird?

NorthernGannet

Hehe, thanks Shezbug! I have seen people do that but didn't know what it meant :)

The bug thing is very interesting! We do get mosquitos in the house a lot, I swear they have a secret tunnel that goes right to my bedroom.

My two, especially Sprite, do not sleep through the night anyhow. I wake up 2-3 times a night usually because they are muttering to each other. Sprite did this even before I got Jellybean, just not as much.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Just a thought on a Linnie falling from perch. They do have toe nails that grow a bit faster than other small birds so please check the length of nails. If they are either too short or too long balance can be effected.

NorthernGannet

Good thought, Lady Jane. Here's a photo of Jellybean's nails, they are the same length as Sprite's. I thought they were ok, but looking at the photo it seems like the pads on the front toes are slightly elevated. And you can even (just barely) see the quick! That's neat. Anyhow, are they too long?

Attachments

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Difficult to tell from this photo. Have you had them trimmed by a vet yet? As you must already know a linnies nails are usually black depending on mutation. This makes a trim more difficult. Can you make a grooming appointment at your vets? Not as expensive as a check up.

Parrot Training Tips - Nail Trimming - YouTube

Last edited: