• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hey cockatoo owners

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
Hi, I'm new to the forum! I'm thinking of getting a galah cockatoo and yes I have researched. Before I make this huge step from medium and small sized birds (quakers, cockatiels, lovebirds, and many different parakeets) I want to experience how living with a cockatoo is. Any ideas on how to get experience

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Be careful what you wish for. The birds you have experience with are what I consider little league birds. Getting a cockatoo is the "big league" and literally a whole new ball game. You can research until your eyes fall out. Nothing will prepare you for owning a cockatoo.

My standard response.

1 adult cockatoo = 1 three year old very hyperactive, athletic child with severe A.D.D. who walks around with pliers, never grows up and never moves out. If your a great owner this handicapped child will be with you for the rest of your natural life and will probably outlast you.

Owning a cockatoo is very much a double edged sword. I don't really see things as the good, the bad (and the ugly) "anymore" as they all go together and are just part of what makes up a cockatoo. Let's face it they are truly majestic creatures that worm their way deep into our hearts. But a majesty needs a lot of space, upkeep and servitude from their slaves. They are incredibly smart and emotional. This makes them very loving birds but also magnifies the problems they can develop when not given what they need or if something is taken away. It takes very little time or effort to create a real problem with a cockatoo. It takes a "lot" of time, effort and patience to turn that problem around and quite often it does not turn around. They are creatures of habit and "change" is often a big culprit to problems.

Something that a new parrot owner (or even owners of smaller birds) has no idea about is the "depth" of the commitment and dedication it takes to look after a cockatoo. This can't be explained or learned from a book. Those that have been there know what I'm talking about.

It "is" truly a life altering decision no different than getting married or having a child except "You" are the one that is going to be doing all the learning and more importantly "adapting" yourself and your home to accommodate them. In a nutshell you basically have to revolve your life around their needs......... for the rest of your life. Not a decision to take lightly "especially" if you are a young person. This is an unbreakable lifetime contract with no outs.

They need a lot more space than people realize and most often more than most people are willing or able to provide. Cages are the source of many/most of their problems. Providing something much larger goes a long ways to avoiding those problems.

Cockatoos do not make good pets and even less so for the average pet owner. It takes a certain personality of person to gel with them to have a long term successful relationship. That being a calm demeanour at all times, especially during the rough times. Stability to provide a consistent way of life. Extreme tolerance and patience because they are going to push both of them to the limit at times. Finally dedication and commitment because they are going to push those to the limit at times also. No quitters.

I also feel they should have others of their own kind and if all possible a large aviary environment.

If this is you then you'll probably do alright with time and educating yourself. If not your in for a very rude awakening and more than likely regret.

To anyone considering taking the plunge, please consider adoption. There are so many in need and so few with the right stuff to make it work.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I want to experience how living with a cockatoo is. Any ideas on how to get experience
If you are serious. Go and volunteer at a rescue. This is where you will get real life, hands on experience with these birds. You will see the good and the bad.

If you're still in after all that there is a good possibility you will have established a relationship with one of these birds just by helping out. You will also have earned the privilege of taking that bird home.

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
Thank you for your first reply. I was thinking of what you said and I believe a cockatoo is not for me. Thank you for warning me of what living with one actually is like.:)

PetFoster

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Julie
To anyone considering taking the plunge, please consider adoption. There are so many in need and so few with the right stuff to make it work.
I totally agree with John -- and I don't own a cockatoo! I am, however, fostering one, and there are two others in the fostering program with my bird club; there is another that is waiting for a foster home to open up.

This is George, a Goffin's cockatoo. He has had many homes, including one that we adopted him out to recently. Unfortunately, even though we took care in preparing the new owners, and were thorough in our questions, he wasn't there for a full three weeks before they brought him back.

George is adorable. He is funny and playful and silly and can say a few phrases. He loves toys and adores head scratches. His favorite song is "Tequila" and loves to play his birdie maracas. He will play "catch" with me whenever I am available to do so.

He is also hormonal. He begs to be cuddled, and tries to sit on my shoulder whenever he has the chance. He raises his wings and wants me to pet him there, but I am certain that this was part of the problem at his last home: the female in the home allowed him to do all of these things, and consequently, George went after her spouse and child whenever they were nearby. He has not, fortunately, gone after anyone in my household (including my 18 year old daughter and 13 year old son), but he is terribly afraid of my husband. We are working to get him over that, as when he was here prior to the adoption, they were thick as thieves.

It is going to be difficult to find a good home for him, I suspect. He can be loud, and he definitely does better when there are people around the house most of the day (my husband works from home, as do I). When left alone, he often sleeps, but if I have to be away for a longer period of time, I fill up the foraging and puzzle toys in his cage, and am sure to replace whatever toys he has chewed up from the day before. (His last owners gave him thickly painted children's blocks from amazon because they couldn't afford to keep buying bird safe toys. Even my husband asked if we could "epoxy" his toys so that they would "last longer". Um, no.) I can't keep him, unfortunately, because I have terrible allergies and I definitely feel it, even when I mist him (I haven't found a bathing routine he will accept willingly yet) and mop the floors daily.

And yet, he really deserves so much more than what human beings have given him so far in life, so I will do everything I can to make sure he gets that happily ever after.

IMG_0395.jpeg IMG_0415.jpeg

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I totally agree with John -- and I don't own a cockatoo! I am, however, fostering one, and there are two others in the fostering program with my bird club; there is another that is waiting for a foster home to open up.

This is George, a Goffin's cockatoo. He has had many homes, including one that we adopted him out to recently. Unfortunately, even though we took care in preparing the new owners, and were thorough in our questions, he wasn't there for a full three weeks before they brought him back.

George is adorable. He is funny and playful and silly and can say a few phrases. He loves toys and adores head scratches. His favorite song is "Tequila" and loves to play his birdie maracas. He will play "catch" with me whenever I am available to do so.

He is also hormonal. He begs to be cuddled, and tries to sit on my shoulder whenever he has the chance. He raises his wings and wants me to pet him there, but I am certain that this was part of the problem at his last home: the female in the home allowed him to do all of these things, and consequently, George went after her spouse and child whenever they were nearby. He has not, fortunately, gone after anyone in my household (including my 18 year old daughter and 13 year old son), but he is terribly afraid of my husband. We are working to get him over that, as when he was here prior to the adoption, they were thick as thieves.

It is going to be difficult to find a good home for him, I suspect. He can be loud, and he definitely does better when there are people around the house most of the day (my husband works from home, as do I). When left alone, he often sleeps, but if I have to be away for a longer period of time, I fill up the foraging and puzzle toys in his cage, and am sure to replace whatever toys he has chewed up from the day before. (His last owners gave him thickly painted children's blocks from amazon because they couldn't afford to keep buying bird safe toys. Even my husband asked if we could "epoxy" his toys so that they would "last longer". Um, no.) I can't keep him, unfortunately, because I have terrible allergies and I definitely feel it, even when I mist him (I haven't found a bathing routine he will accept willingly yet) and mop the floors daily.

And yet, he really deserves so much more than what human beings have given him so far in life, so I will do everything I can to make sure he gets that happily ever after.

View attachment 411541 View attachment 411542
Looks like a sweetheart. Goffins are challenging. I think people think they will be easy because they are small. Not so.... Do you have an air purifier? I am taking care of an umbrella and was having an allergic reaction to him. I now have an air purifier right by his cage and it has made a huge difference. (I of course want you to keep him!) Not everyone can read or understand a goffin. It sounds like you do. : )

AmyElvie

Moving in
Be careful what you wish for. The birds you have experience with are what I consider little league birds. Getting a cockatoo is the "big league" and literally a whole new ball game. You can research until your eyes fall out. Nothing will prepare you for owning a cockatoo.

My standard response.

1 adult cockatoo = 1 three year old very hyperactive, athletic child with severe A.D.D. who walks around with pliers, never grows up and never moves out. If your a great owner this handicapped child will be with you for the rest of your natural life and will probably outlast you.

Owning a cockatoo is very much a double edged sword. I don't really see things as the good, the bad (and the ugly) "anymore" as they all go together and are just part of what makes up a cockatoo. Let's face it they are truly majestic creatures that worm their way deep into our hearts. But a majesty needs a lot of space, upkeep and servitude from their slaves. They are incredibly smart and emotional. This makes them very loving birds but also magnifies the problems they can develop when not given what they need or if something is taken away. It takes very little time or effort to create a real problem with a cockatoo. It takes a "lot" of time, effort and patience to turn that problem around and quite often it does not turn around. They are creatures of habit and "change" is often a big culprit to problems.

Something that a new parrot owner (or even owners of smaller birds) has no idea about is the "depth" of the commitment and dedication it takes to look after a cockatoo. This can't be explained or learned from a book. Those that have been there know what I'm talking about.

It "is" truly a life altering decision no different than getting married or having a child except "You" are the one that is going to be doing all the learning and more importantly "adapting" yourself and your home to accommodate them. In a nutshell you basically have to revolve your life around their needs......... for the rest of your life. Not a decision to take lightly "especially" if you are a young person. This is an unbreakable lifetime contract with no outs.

They need a lot more space than people realize and most often more than most people are willing or able to provide. Cages are the source of many/most of their problems. Providing something much larger goes a long ways to avoiding those problems.

Cockatoos do not make good pets and even less so for the average pet owner. It takes a certain personality of person to gel with them to have a long term successful relationship. That being a calm demeanour at all times, especially during the rough times. Stability to provide a consistent way of life. Extreme tolerance and patience because they are going to push both of them to the limit at times. Finally dedication and commitment because they are going to push those to the limit at times also. No quitters.

I also feel they should have others of their own kind and if all possible a large aviary environment.

If this is you then you'll probably do alright with time and educating yourself. If not your in for a very rude awakening and more than likely regret.

I agree. Like an unruly toddler who responds not at all to discipline/limits and who craves your attention, love and interaction upon demand. But, no one loves you quite like a cockatoo! Mine is very bonded to me and loves to cuddle, blow kisses, and sit with me quietly for as long as I let her (and give her something to chew on)