• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

He's starting to trust me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izzy_Bird

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lisa
If you remember, I rescued "Booger" from a pet store two weeks ago. He is my foster bird. I could not touch him without being bit unless he flew off his cage. Then he would step up for me, and be nice until I put him back on his cage and then he would bite.

Yesterday he kept saying "Step up" over and over while on his cage. So, I went to him and asked him to step up. He did! I praised him up and down. We snuggled for the first time. When he started to get nippy, I put him back. Throughout the evening he stepped up at least 15 times for me and was actually very excited about it and proud of himself :)

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
That is fantastic news!! :dance5:

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
If you remember, I rescued "Booger" from a pet store two weeks ago. He is my foster bird. I could not touch him without being bit unless he flew off his cage. Then he would step up for me, and be nice until I put him back on his cage and then he would bite.

Yesterday he kept saying "Step up" over and over while on his cage. So, I went to him and asked him to step up. He did! I praised him up and down. We snuggled for the first time. When he started to get nippy, I put him back. Throughout the evening he stepped up at least 15 times for me and was actually very excited about it and proud of himself :)
Congratulations, that is so great!!!!! He told you when he was ready:)

Izzy_Bird

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lisa
Congratulations, that is so great!!!!! He told you when he was ready:)
Yes he did! I could actually see the expression on his face that he was so proud of himself. I think he's been watching me with my CAG and decided that it looked like fun lol.

lamagdalena

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika

yay!!! :dance4: congrats!!!

now my question is what did you do? I have the exact same problem with big bird. off his cage he is fine, but on or in his cage he lunges at me

Izzy_Bird

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lisa
Honestly, I didn't do anything. He's been with me for two weeks. I don't know if he just is starting to trust me or sees me with Izzy and has decided it's ok. We'll see if he will still be so nice when I get home today. Maybe yesterday was an accident lol

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It makes a huge difference when they see a healthy bird/human relationship. Elvis settled in here so well because she watched me with Max. She even learned some of the same tricks that he does. It can work wonders.

Emmilyy

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
thats great news!

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Aww Lisa that is great! I never thought about him watching you and Izzy..what a great training aid. :)

Janie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jane
That is great news, was your heart just beating out of your chest :) I always figure I'll blow it because I won't be able to remain calm and centered due to excitement.

Status
Not open for further replies.