• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

He's given known phrases his own spin

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I've been curious about this for a while. Blu knows many words & phrases but only uses them when he wants, as most talking parrots.:shy:

What I'm curious about is that some well known phrases he used to say have been changed to a squawk at the end instead of a word. Like he'll say "happy birth...squawk, instead of happy birthday. Or "I like squawk" instead of I like that. He says peek a squawk , instead of peek a boo. And what are you squawk, instead of what are you doing.

He used to say those phrases so human like. But now most of the time he does that squawk at the end. I am not trying to change him or anything. I am just trying to understand why he does that? For a while I had this theory that he resents human phrases but that seems kind of crazy. So I wonder if anyone else's parrot has done this, or if there's any explanation as to why? Sometimes he won't do the squawk at the and say the whole phrase but it's rare.

Last edited:

scrape

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
:)My cockatiel used to say pretty bird, but now it sounds more like a strange 'uh oh'. They just seem to change it to their own liking. If you wanted you could reinforce saying the full sentences so he'd say them more often.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
He's making it his own. That simple.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
:)My cockatiel used to say pretty bird, but now it sounds more like a strange 'uh oh'. They just seem to change it to their own liking. If you wanted you could reinforce saying the full sentences so he'd say them more often.
That's so funny that pretty bird has changed to uh oh and you still know what it's meant to be! I do try to reinforce the full phrase but I don't think he cares :lol: Thanks!

He's making it his own. That simple.
Yeah, that makes the most sense. Thanks!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Like John said, Blu is evolving...creating language that serves his purpose. ;)

Milton ends almost all his phrases with some form of "I A PRETTY PRETTY BIRD" attached at the end of the phrase. It doesn't matter what the subject he's talking about is...the world must know that a Pretty Bird is uttering it...:yes3: ;)

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Like John said, Blu is evolving...creating language that serves his purpose. ;)

Milton ends almost all his phrases with some form of "I A PRETTY PRETTY BIRD" attached at the end of the phrase. It doesn't matter what the subject he's talking about is...the world must know that a Pretty Bird is uttering it...:yes3: ;)
Lol! He is a very pretty bird!

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I've been trying to get my two linnies to say cuckoo like a cuckoo bird, but they just look at me like I'm crazy :wacky: I think since they're a pair they really don't care what I have to say, as long as I keep apples in stock! They definitely know their names though.

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Monaco definitely makes her own, mixes and matches her words and phrases. Most of them make sense so far, but at night they almost always get a bird spin and are more likely to be all smashed together really fast. She also changes her pitch and voice except for a few select ones.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Monaco definitely makes her own, mixes and matches her words and phrases. Most of them make sense so far, but at night they almost always get a bird spin and are more likely to be all smashed together really fast. She also changes her pitch and voice except for a few select ones.
Blu does the smashed together really fast thing too!

berries

Strolling the yard
Its incredibly fun to watch birds make learned phrases their own. I've heard a lot who put their own spin on things they've been taught. One of my CAGs favorite phrases for a while was 'wacha doin?' and he has transformed it into an excitable 'What you dooooo!' and won't say it any other way now.