• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Herpes Virus in cats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flahmingo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Barbara
Both of my cats are carriers of the herpes virus. It's usually not a problem except when they get colds. Niles has come down with a cold and there is a lot of sneezing associated with it. I have tried to search whether or not this can be troublesome for parrots and, so far, cannot locate any information on it. Does anyone here know whether upper respiratory infections in cats can be contagious to parrots ?

Yoshi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessie
Not sure, but I doubt it since its also not dangerous to other mammals or humans. I would think it would be more dangerous to another mammal like a dog before it would be dangerous to a bird and its not.

BTW - to help kitty with the herpes-related URI - get some Lysine from the vitamin & supplement section (human stuff) and grind the pills up and add to the food. They usually come in 500 mg and that is good for 1-2 cats per day. 1 per cat during active infection - 1/2 per cat to prevent infection. It really works great.

Flahmingo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Barbara
Not sure, but I doubt it since its also not dangerous to other mammals or humans. I would think it would be more dangerous to another mammal like a dog before it would be dangerous to a bird and its not.

BTW - to help kitty with the herpes-related URI - get some Lysine from the vitamin & supplement section (human stuff) and grind the pills up and add to the food. They usually come in 500 mg and that is good for 1-2 cats per day. 1 per cat during active infection - 1/2 per cat to prevent infection. It really works great.
Thanks, he does take Lysine.

Status
Not open for further replies.