• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Heritage Park, again.

ChromeScholar

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dan
Wasn't a long visit, since it decided to pour down rain less than an hour after we got there, but...

Jade the mountain lion

A Serval with an attitude. He was sitting in a cardboard box.

Javelina

Coati Mundi

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
You take amazing photographs.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Love the Puma shot!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wow. Which lens were you using?
Seems that your new camera is working out well for you.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I was wondering what that blur was!

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
The lens is a Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM

As an aside, all the photos were taken through chain link fence.
If that is the kit and upgrade lens Canon sells for 150 occasionally it's a excellent lens for the money and has great bokeh or however it's spelled. I bought a earlier one at Fries years ago and I use it and the 18x55 is lens most of the time time rather than the full frame nice used lenses I got on eBay for my original XT way back when.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Ohhh the mountain lion and the serval are wonderful!! I do have a special kinda love for the bigger cats, your photos are always so amazing.... the big cat pics are a real treat! :) Thank you:cloud9:

ChromeScholar

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dan
If that is the kit and upgrade lens Canon sells for 150 occasionally it's a excellent lens for the money and has great bokeh or however it's spelled. I bought a earlier one at Fries years ago and I use it and the 18x55 is lens most of the time time rather than the full frame nice used lenses I got on eBay for my original XT way back when.
No, this is the stepper motor lens, which retails for around $300. The kit lens is a direct drive motor, and retails for around $160, normally. The stepper motor is faster, and quieter. It's great for video, as you don't hear the lens focusing in the video, which you can with a direct drive motor.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
No, this is the stepper motor lens, which retails for around $300. The kit lens is a direct drive motor, and retails for around $160, normally. The stepper motor is faster, and quieter. It's great for video, as you don't hear the lens focusing in the video, which you can with a direct drive motor.
Some of the full frame lenses I got had the USM focus motor so they are quiet and fast. The kit lenses are great bang per buck so when they had a good deal I grabbed the 55-250. The full frame lenses I have are the 28-105 Ultrasonic and the 100-300 Ultrasonic but neither of them have image stabilization. They both had the better focus blades and stainless steel mounts as it I tried to do some research on what were the best used lenses for the money back in 07 when I got my digital Rebel XT.
I used to go to air shows and drag races with my film camera and wanted some good lenses for zooming and stopping action shots but I mostly take Dobby and nature, plus car stuff occasionally now.

ChromeScholar

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dan
Some of the full frame lenses I got had the USM focus motor so they are quiet and fast. The kit lenses are great bang per buck so when they had a good deal I grabbed the 55-250. The full frame lenses I have are the 28-105 Ultrasonic and the 100-300 Ultrasonic but neither of them have image stabilization. They both had the better focus blades and stainless steel mounts as it I tried to do some research on what were the best used lenses for the money back in 07 when I got my digital Rebel XT.
I used to go to air shows and drag races with my film camera and wanted some good lenses for zooming and stopping action shots but I mostly take Dobby and nature, plus car stuff occasionally now.
I'm saving up for one of these...

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
I'm saving up for one of these...

Well that looks like a great all around everything zoom lens but way over my budget. That's a pro level lens like all their L series lenses are and all the reviews shots posted looked really good, but they should for that kind of money. Looks like it would be perfect for the kinds pictures you like to take.
I guess watch your favorite camera shops for a deal. I just researched what older lenses were good in the used market and got the ones I wanted as reasonable deals showed up.
My buddy uses Nikon gear and is semi pro like you and he has many great lenses and bodies to use, but he also has a good business he runs fixing computers and setting up networks and like that for large businesses so he has toy money.
If you get that your shots will be even better but you always have a good eye and take great photos.

ChromeScholar

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dan
Oddly enough, I ran into a local deal here yesterday. I now have a EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM (not the II version). I'll start posting photos with it soon. I'm in the middle of my work week right now. A local photographer was selling it, since he bought the f/2.8 version of the lens. I paid less than half retail for it.

It cannot be said enough - the best investment for your camera is the best lens you can afford.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
I even after eventually buying 2 DSLR entry level Canon cameras have more in the excellent used and bang per buck new lenses than the cameras. I did sell my buddy my XT with the spare batteries, memory cards, and kit lens for 200 after we finished the swap meet which offset what I paid for the T3 I have now.
I always watch for deals and use Slick Deals, eBay etc when I decide I want something. Glad to hear you got a smokin' deal and you got a dream lens you'll put to good use.

Skyandkiwi

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Misk
What beautiful photos! Great job!