• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

here's a source for soft shell almonds

Status
Not open for further replies.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
My birds, even the Goffin and Amazons sometimes find regular almonds too tough to crack. With these I am forced to pinch off one side with a pliers before serving.
They and my Hahn's especially love when I have a supply of these soft-shell almonds. The shell feels almost papery and if you look at the pic below you can see it is almost as if it only got the inner layer you can sometimes see on grocery store bin almonds, and is missing that really hard outer layer.
My Hahn's is able to open pine nuts in a snap, but really can't manage regular almonds, they are too big. But with the soft shell he is a happy boy.
Here's the description. They will be redoing their webpage in the next few weeks but right now it is the last entry on the next-to-last page of "Products" - "Nuts" The word to key in on in the description is "Inshell"

There’s no need for a nut-cracker…that’s right these Nonpareil variety almonds have a naturally soft shell that allows you to use your hands to crack them open and enjoy them fresh out of their shell.
Inshell (soft shell) Almonds. PLU # 244
You can order them either online www.maisiejanes.com or call us direct 530-899-7909
Cost $ 4.50 per 16oz bag
We will be happy to ship directly to you.
We appreciate you choosing Maisie Jane's and supporting our small family
farm.
In the pic below the softshell (Inshell) is on the bottom.

Attachments

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
thanks for the link! they have a nice selection and I really prefer to support the smaller, individually owned stores like this

mine are so rotten, they will only eat almonds after they are shelled and cut up

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Oh thanks, my conures don't always like those hard thick shells because they are so tough to crack.

tracie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tracie
Oh my goodness that is exactly what I was looking for. All three of mine went crazy for these. I am on my way to place an order right now! Thank you for posting this!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Try nutsonline.com for your nut supply. I don't know if they have the soft shells, but their prices are much, much better. I have found their service to be exceptional.
ML

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
wow, thanks for the site!
I pick the almonds out of the seed mix that my parrots get, and put them in a container, seperately.

Status
Not open for further replies.