• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Here comes....

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Thanks TikiMyn! she's so much fun to be around. :) She wins everyone over with her crazy antics and cuddles. She can be very opiniated though, it's kind of cute now but we're careful because if we give her to much leeway... we could end up with a very stubborn adult bird, determined not to take no for an answer. ^^

She really wants to play with butons and zippers... very attracted to any metallic thing wich can get scary. She was playing with my coat zipper without me realising and managed to break off a tiny mettalic zippy thing and force it onto her lower beak. It was so tightly molded to it, I had trouble getting it off! and of course, I panicked thinking that she could've swallowed a piece to... but fortunately, she's fine.

You can get her off you 10 times in a row because she's eating your clothing, glasses or trying to play with your jewellery... (tearing your ear off in the process ) she'll just instantly fly back to you, soften you up by snuggling up to your cheek for a few seconds and innocently go back to what she was doing. (All while loudly complaining if you try and get her off you again of course. :devil:) I've never had such a clingy devious little monkey when she's decided she would not budge from you! she'll just fly on my head, climb down my back etc. and finally burrow under my hair at my nape. :wacky: yep, I know... that sounds kind of cute... (it's soooo cute. :xflove::hilarious:) but don't fall for it! she's a handful that just knows when and how to put on the charm. ^^

Good thing about her curiosity and busy beak is that you just have to find something that she values even more to keep her occupied. (For another 10 to 15min. :roflmao:) Needless to say, I gave up wearing jewelry in the house. Couldn't win that battle... ugh... undeterreable!

I can't guarantee my Christmas tree's survival either. Lots of shiny things and branches to destroy?! :wow:she was in there in a heartbeat. Didn't let the complicated, unstable landings on to thin branches deter her. :embarassed: I do looooooove her confidence though. :heart:

I'm pretty sure my pionus boys think she's a nutcase. I can just imagine them...
Apache: "Pssst, hey Falcon, she's at it again... yep, just rolling around on the floor like a mad goose. Poor thing. Hum... and why did she EAT OUR ladder?! how does she expect us to climb our tree now? it did it's job for years, that was a perfectly fine ladder."

Falcon: "Ok Apache, it's 10pm... does our new neighbour have to sing opera EVERY night? she's so loud! (and off key)" Apache: "just ignore the lunatic. Probably thinks she's an owl."

Falcon: "oh my god!! she's invaded our cage!! whatch her tuneling under our newspapers! what is she screaming about again?" Apache: "still sounds like gibberish to me. Let's get out of here!"

Resigned to their fate: "Oh well... the humans seem to like her. Guess we'll have to share. She's actually not that bad when you get to know her... and if we just pretend to be friends, we get lots of treats. We can do this." :rofl:
She sounds like ten hands full but o so wonderful! I like her spirit:heart: though I do feel for Falcon and Apache:rofl:

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
That is top cute! I had never really heard of her conure species, I am is glad I know About tegen now:heart:

Omena

Moving in
Real Name
Oona
I'll mp you. ;) Maybe the reason you can't is because you're still new? there might be a certain number of messages to post before you can send private messages?
That's what I thought too. Would love to hear from you :)

Omg that soaking wet little munchkin :xflove:

Ella.pi

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Hi everyone! I thought you would enjoy a little update on Chiloé! she's doing great and has matured into a beautiful lovely bird.

She shares a very special bond with our whole family even though i'm her favorite. She's still just as playful, affectionate and full of personality! my clingy cuddle bug has no problems sharing an outdoor aviary with her two pionus friends, even when they boss her around a little. She still enjoys daily free flight with us and has been so easy to train! we've had her for over a year now and we've never had a scare.

I've said this many times but I'll say it again, I really feel like this specie of conure should be more popular! we're madly in love with this cutie. I find she's like having a winged puppy around. (A very active, very noisy, always in your feet one.) She's such a sociable feathered monkey.

I know they have a reputation for being destructive but Chiloé really isn't more so than other parrots her size. Although she does have the most anoying obsession with buttons and has managed to ruin a few of my tops because she's so sneaky and fast at snapping them off... she's as bad as a magpie when she finds a shiny toy and she's very stubborn. :D

She loves contact so she's been very easy to towl train etc. she will actually take naps lying on me like a kitten, under the cover. Good job Chiloé lives in her aviary though because when she's in the house, she has no interest in playing by herself. You'll always find her with the kids or myself, joining in every activity we do.

They do have a tendency to be ever so velcro so teaching them independence is not easy! It would be hard to do if she didn't have her own space out of our living space where she can't focus on us as much as she does in the house. I think she would feel very lonely as a single bird. Now that she's well trained, it's not that difficult to counter her détermination. :rolleyes: 20181017_183126.jpg 20181017_182330-1.jpg
20181017_183852-1.jpg
20181017_183043-1.jpg
20181017_183053-1-1.jpg
20181017_183357.jpg 20181017_182811.jpg 20181017_183601.jpg 20181017_183547.jpg

Last edited:

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Great update, great pics and so happy to see all those outdoors flying pic.
I wonder if she knows how lucky she is? ♡

Ella.pi

Avenue Veteran
Do spoiled kids realise their luck? :rolleyes: nope! now i've just got to be able to maintain her lifestyle for the 30 to 40 years to come and never have to live in a town or an apartment, never have close neighbors or roads, keep living in the midle of nowhere... no pressure! :laugh:

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
and never have to live in a town or an apartment, never have close neighbors or roads, keep living in the midle of nowhere... no pressure! :laugh:
My way of living. :D

Ella.pi

Avenue Veteran
Simple recall training is a part of it. She was a bit distracted by the row of cows watching us. Haha

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've been following a thread about Patagonians on Facebook. It seems like not many people are having luck breeding them which is making them hard to find as pets. Everything I've heard says they make amazing companions and have great personalities. For all the bird marts I've been to here and some in California, I've only seen 1 for sale and the guy wanted thousands of dollars for it.

Ella.pi

Avenue Veteran
Seriously?! they cost around 300 euros here in France and don't seem hard to breed in a standard aviary setting... they even do well in colonies if they have space, but maybe it's different in america for whatever reason? they are rarer than other conures here simply because they are less popular unfortunately. People tend to find them too loud but I don't really get it as I find sun conures and a few other aratingas way louder. To each their own I guess! I hope breeding will continue as they are not doing well in the wild... and they are fantastic companions.

Last edited:

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
This is a breeder I wouldn't do business with anyway. There is always that one breeder you see at a bird mart, and it's obvious that they are little more than a mill to produce as many chicks as possible for as much profit as they can make. I've heard that Patagonians are loud, but not constantly like suns. My pair of suns do nothing but scream most of the day. The quakers are almost as loud and I think they are competing with each other. I'll take a bird that screams a few times a day over that anytime. I'm hopeful I can find another pair at some point. I passed on a pair last year and I regret it.

Ella.pi

Avenue Veteran
I wish you luck! they do vocalise quite a bit! but less frequently than suns from what i've heard and not at that very high pitch. Then again, I don't know how loud a pair would be... :D you can hear what she sounds like in the video, I quite like her calls actually! she still sounds like an exotic seagull to me.

Last edited:

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Simple recall training is a part of it. She was a bit distracted by the row of cows watching us. Haha
Awesome to watch! That is to give a bird freedom. And as she does love you so much I can't see that she will leave you.
If I ever get a Patagonian I will also allowed it to fly outdoors. (Or another parrot that doesn't get scared)

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I wish you luck! they do vocalise quite a bit! but less frequently than suns from what i've heard and not at that very high pitch. Then again, I don't know how loud a pair would be... :D you can hear what she sounds like in the video, I quite like her calls actually! she still sounds like an exotic seagull to me.
You're right. That's what she sounds like. Not abrasive at all.

Ella.pi

Avenue Veteran
Yes that's part of the other factors to take into consideration Eloy, a good free flight candidate is a very self confident parrot. Building flight skills and recall training is one thing but she's just so predictable because she never scares or if she does, she doesn't loose control. The rare times she takes of startled, she turns around mid flight on a dime if called and comes back to me. Even if she's chased by local birds, (crows) she keeps calm and responds because it's all normal to her.

A strong bond isn't enough but on top of good training and a safe environnement that she knows well, I think there is very little chance of her flying away. There's always a risk because you can never predict and control everything... but it's very low. The freedom she gets out of this lifestyle, the hours spent foraging in trees, taking walks with the dogs, flying high in the sky with no limitations is invaluable to me.

I wish the pionus boys could have that to... but sadly, although well trained indoors, they are just too flighty and easily spooked to trust outside. Fortunately, they are much more laid back than she is so I think having free roam of the house and aviary is enough to make them happy anyway.

That being said, a blue and gold macaw will soon be joining us... so hopefully she'll have a friend to fly with!

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I love all words that you wrote abow and I agree with them too.

That being said, a blue and gold macaw will soon be joining us... so hopefully she'll have a friend to fly with!
Congrats!
That will be a very happy macaw. ♡
This macaw lives in Sweden, and is outside flying every day.

33045692_10155533894822514_46207766431268864_o.jpg