• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Here comes....

Ella.pi

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Hi conure lovers! Chiloé is already 6 months old so I figure it's time for an update! I still havn't dna sexed her... i'm a hopeless procrastinator... but she's doing great! i'm thinking she might be a girl because she's on the small side for a patty. (245gr) Usually males are bigger than females but it could also be an individual thing so... we'll see when I end up getting it done! she's slowly loosing her baby traits (her beak is nearly black!) and she's still an amazing companion. She's very hyper, always getting in to everything, very velcro with all of us and very sociable with any human being. She just has to go and say hello to strangers even if they are very scared of birds and nearly throw her off... she'll just instist on landing on them. She can be VERY stuborn when she want's something and a little sassy! she's never far from us/on us but she's also getting better at playing and exploring on her own, wich is a good thing. She's still super cudly and loves restling and flopping on her back like a puppy. She also loves playing peekaboo under covers and chasing us on the floor. So goofy. ^^ Chiloé makes the most adorable sounds and she seems to be picking up on human language. Such a non stop chatter box! even if we rarely understand much. She vocalises a lot and loudly.When playing she actually squeels. Haha Fortunatly, my pis are still very well behaved and very rarely join in. She gets along with them even though they always keep a respectful distance. I can have them on me at the same time without them bickering and they share playstands so i'm very pleased! Chiloé is a very self confident bird, never scared of anything, full of personality. She's not very destructive. Yes, she loves shredding things, is pretty mechanical oriented and will try and play with your buttons, zippers, join in when the children play with legos and puzzles and just run away with pieces when they complain. Lol but she's never damaged furniture. She's very nippy to, not in a mean biting way but she comunicates with her beack a lot and is still learning to control her strength when she gets over excited. I love how she snugles up to my face or just lays in my lap for a foot massage.^^ Such a sweetheart. We've also been free flight training her and she's been fantastic! such a natural. She's breathtaking in flight, very agile and her loudness is a huge advantage in flight as she constantly contact calls. Here are a few pictures! 20170917_164741-1.jpg

Last edited:

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
She seems adorable! (except the high vocalization)
Great that she seems to want to interact with everyone. ♥

Love all the pics of her, and her big feet is so cute that I want to kiss them.
The pic of Chiloé and your husband says that they both are keepers. ♥

Last edited:

Ella.pi

Avenue Veteran
Yes they are. :xflove: He's as passionate about parrots as I am. (and we've been together for over 11 years now. I couldn't just throw out my other half.^^)

Chiloe fits everything i've heard and imagined about Patagonian conures. I've always loved them, she's close to perfect to me. Yes, she's loud but not shrill like a sun conure. I can't deal with high pitched screams, she sounds more like a seagull to me. ^^ As long as she doesn't scream in my ear, I really don't mind her vocalisations. I actually like them and enjoy the fact that she's so expressive, she's not loud all day long and doesn't go into screaming fits. If I had close neighbours, it would be very stressful though, especially because she doesn't sleep when the sun goes down like a normal bird. She can be exercising her human mumbling at midnight when she feels like it and she will call to you if she hears you go to the bathroom or something at night. Most patagonian conures stay playful, sociable and non agressive as mature adults to. They form bonds with more than just their mate in the wild, I suppose it helps! I love that about them. To me, they absolutely need to live with other parrots to be happy though or have someone stay at home with them for most of the day... they are extremely social birds. She hates being caged to. She'll play for a few hours but very quickly start screaming and flapping her wings. She never reacts that way when she's busy in the aviary or in the house with us. They just NEED to fly to, every bird does obviously but she flaps, hovers and dives for fun much more than my pis, that's for sure.

Ella.pi

Avenue Veteran
They're as big as a mini mac. Between an illiger's and a Severe. She measures 45cm and could weigh up to 300gr but weight and size seem to vary quite a bit. The greater patagonian conure is much bigger but they are extremely rare. I couldn't find a breeder and have only seen them in a zoo.

Ella.pi

Avenue Veteran
Thanks! another funny thing about her is that she hides a great big macaw beak under those fluffy head feathers. ^^ It's cartoonishly big for her head size. Her feathers mostly cover the lower part and completely hide her nares to.
20171123_101655.jpg 20171123_101635.jpg

Omena

Moving in
Real Name
Oona
That video just melted my heart :xflove: She is gorgeous!

I can't seem able to send you a pm, so hope you don't mind me asking here that whereabouts in Brittany do you live? Because I live half an hour from St Malo. :)

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Aahhww she seems so happy! She is a gorgeous birdie:heart:

Ella.pi

Avenue Veteran
Hi! that's crazy! ^^ I live 30min from Dinan and 30min from Rennes so not to far away depending on which side of St Malo you live. :p I'm just about an hour away from St Malo. I wasn't expecting to find a fellow bird lover from Brittany on AA!

Ella.pi

Avenue Veteran
Thanks TikiMyn! she's so much fun to be around. :) She wins everyone over with her crazy antics and cuddles. She can be very opiniated though, it's kind of cute now but we're careful because if we give her to much leeway... we could end up with a very stubborn adult bird, determined not to take no for an answer. ^^

She really wants to play with butons and zippers... very attracted to any metallic thing wich can get scary. She was playing with my coat zipper without me realising and managed to break off a tiny mettalic zippy thing and force it onto her lower beak. It was so tightly molded to it, I had trouble getting it off! and of course, I panicked thinking that she could've swallowed a piece to... but fortunately, she's fine.

You can get her off you 10 times in a row because she's eating your clothing, glasses or trying to play with your jewellery... (tearing your ear off in the process ) she'll just instantly fly back to you, soften you up by snuggling up to your cheek for a few seconds and innocently go back to what she was doing. (All while loudly complaining if you try and get her off you again of course. :devil:) I've never had such a clingy devious little monkey when she's decided she would not budge from you! she'll just fly on my head, climb down my back etc. and finally burrow under my hair at my nape. :wacky: yep, I know... that sounds kind of cute... (it's soooo cute. :xflove::hilarious:) but don't fall for it! she's a handful that just knows when and how to put on the charm. ^^

Good thing about her curiosity and busy beak is that you just have to find something that she values even more to keep her occupied. (For another 10 to 15min. :roflmao:) Needless to say, I gave up wearing jewelry in the house. Couldn't win that battle... ugh... undeterreable!

I can't guarantee my Christmas tree's survival either. Lots of shiny things and branches to destroy?! :wow:she was in there in a heartbeat. Didn't let the complicated, unstable landings on to thin branches deter her. :embarassed: I do looooooove her confidence though. :heart:

I'm pretty sure my pionus boys think she's a nutcase. I can just imagine them...
Apache: "Pssst, hey Falcon, she's at it again... yep, just rolling around on the floor like a mad goose. Poor thing. Hum... and why did she EAT OUR ladder?! how does she expect us to climb our tree now? it did it's job for years, that was a perfectly fine ladder."

Falcon: "Ok Apache, it's 10pm... does our new neighbour have to sing opera EVERY night? she's so loud! (and off key)" Apache: "just ignore the lunatic. Probably thinks she's an owl."

Falcon: "oh my god!! she's invaded our cage!! whatch her tuneling under our newspapers! what is she screaming about again?" Apache: "still sounds like gibberish to me. Let's get out of here!"

Resigned to their fate: "Oh well... the humans seem to like her. Guess we'll have to share. She's actually not that bad when you get to know her... and if we just pretend to be friends, we get lots of treats. We can do this." :rofl:

Last edited:

Ella.pi

Avenue Veteran
Unbelievable - what are the odds, right! :D I'm between St Malo and Combourg, so under 30 min from Combourg. How can we contact?
I'll mp you. ;) Maybe the reason you can't is because you're still new? there might be a certain number of messages to post before you can send private messages?

Last edited:

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would love a pair of those to add to my flock. I had the chance and passed it up. Now I wish I would have taken them.