• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Herbs and spices benefits for your parrots...

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
I have been using Cinnamom powder, Cayenne powder, Hot Pepper Flakes and Ginger powder in my birds food for years and below are a list of herbs and spices that you can add to your birds food to help with their health...
Alfalfa Leaf helps assimilate protein, calcium and other nutrients. Contains chlorophyll. Richest land source of trace minerals. Very rich supply of Beta Carotene, Vitamins K and D. High in Calcium and contains Phosphorus, Iron, Potassium and eight essential enzymes. It is also high in fructo-oligosaccarides which fertilize healthy bacteria in the gut and neutralize bad bacteria overgrowth such as Candida.
Parsley is used as a preventive herb. High in Vitamin B and Potassium. It is said to contain a substance in which cancer cells cannot multiply. Rich in iron, chlorophyll and Vitamins A and C. Contains sodium, copper, thiamin and riboflavin, silicon, sulfur, calcium and cobalt.
Flaxseed supplies the body with essential fatty acids. Not only are flaxseeds richer in these fatty acids than fish oil, but they also taste much better. Flaxseed also promotes strong nails, bones and healthy skin.
Bee Pollen contains 35% Protein, 55% Carbohydrate, 2% Fatty Acids, 3% Minerals and Vitamins. High in B-Complex Vitamins A, C, D and E. Also contains Lecithin, Beta Carotene and Selenium. It is rich in vitamins and contains almost all known minerals, trace elements, enzymes and amino acids. It contains the essence of every plant from which bees collect pollen in combination with digestive enzymes from the bees. This combination of elements make bee pollen an excellent source of antioxidants. Bee pollen is rapidly absorbed into the blood stream and stimulates immunological responses.
Chickweed contains Vitamins A, C and some B, Flavonoids, Calcium, Phosphorus, Potassium and Zinc. It is used for skin problems, to treat blood disorders, gout and arthritis.
Dandelion Leaf benefits liver function. Contains nutritive salts, protein, and is a rich source of Vitamin A. Also high in Vitamins B, C and E. Rich in Potassium, Calcium and sodium. Contains some Phosphorus and Iron as well as Nickel, Cobalt, Tin and Copper.
Red Clover Blossoms and Leaf contain Vitamins A, C, B-Complex, calcium, Chromium, Iron and Magnesium. Ed Clover has also been used effectively as a blood purifier and antibiotic.
Red Raspberry Leaf contains Vitamins A, C, D, E, and B. It is very high in available Calcium.
Rose Hips is abundant in Vitamin C and helps combat stress.
Milk Thistle Seeds supports the liver's ability to maintain normal liver function. Milk thistle works due to its ability to inhibit the factors responsible for liver damage, coupled with the fact it stimulates production of new liver cells to replace old damaged ones. Milk thistle is also an antioxidant that is more potent than Vitamins C and E.
Barley Grass is rich in Beta Carotene, B Vitamins and Vitamin C, the minerals Potassium, Calcium, Iron, Phosphorus, Magnesium, Chlorophyll, 8 essential amino acids and enzymes, including antioxidant and superoxide dismutase. In total, it contains 92 minerals and 22 vitamins.
Dill Weed is high in Calcium and soothing to digestion.
Dulse is rich in Protein. It contains 22% more than chickpeas, almonds or whole sesame seeds. Very high in Vitamins B6 and B12. Relatively low in sodium and high in Potassium. Rich in trace minerals.
Garlic Powder fights bacteria like an antibiotic. Garlic's sulfur compounds, in addition to Selenium and Vitamins A and C containing compounds, make it a potent antioxidant, protecting cell membranes and DNA from damage and disease. Garlic directly attacks bacteria and viruses and stimulates the bodies natural defenses against foreign invaders.
Ginger Powder is an absolute favorite taste of parrots. It is an excellent herb for the respiratory system as well as an effective cleansing agent for the digestive system. It contains Protein, Vitamins A, C and B Complex, Calcium, Phosphorus, Iron, Sodium, Potassium and Magnesium.
Wheat grass contains to many nutrients to mention them all. It is especially high in Fiber, Protein, Chlorophyll, Beta-Carotene, Vitamin B Complex, C, E and K, most minerals and contains 18 Amino Acids. High in Fructo-Oligosaccharides.
Astragalus Powder is an immunomodulator. It contains Glycosides, Polysaccharides, Choline, Betaine, Rumatakenin, and Beta-Sitosterol. It activates the immune system, thus enhancing the body's natural ability to fight disease and protecting the body against a number of toxins.
Chili Flakes is a digestive aid. This flake acts as an anti-inflammatory agent and aids in controlling pain.
Cinnamon is a favorite taste of parrots. It is a digestive aid and recent studies have shown it may help to eliminate E. Coli in food.
Turmeric Root has five times more antioxidant power than Vitamin E. Contains curcumin and many other phytochemicals. Makes foods more digestible and possesses anti-fungal and antibacterial properties and protects the liver by detoxification and scavenging free radicals. It also breaks down fats.
Taken from: http://www.aviannaturals.com/herbmix.html

Cayenne Pepper:
Cayenne is rich in the vitamins A, C, iron, potassium and calcium. It also contains some B complex, magnesium, phosphorus and sulfur. It has an antioxident effect that in very high doses can increase the risk of some cancers but in moderate doses can help to heal other cancers.
Taken from: http://www.holisticbirds.com/pages/cayenne0801.htm

:hug8:

tammie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Tammie
That was great information!! Thanks so much for sharing it with us.

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks BF good information :hug8:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Thank you very much for this information!

Matt

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Thank You BF! I am printing this and posting it at work (the vet office) and also adding it to my cook book here for Pru!

MBS

Jogging around the block
Recently I saw millet covered in paprika for sale at a pet store. Paprika wasn't on the list.

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
I use Paprika now and then also...:hug8:

Deejo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
It should be noted that there are 2 types of cinnamon.
Cassia...this type is what we commonly see in every grocery store. It is available in powder & sticks and is made using all the layers of the bark. This is why it is very hard, when sold in stick form.

Ceylon...this is the BEST variety for parrots & people. It is a much paler color, and the sticks are more fragile than the Cassia type.
It's made using only the very thin inner bark.

Ceylon cinnamon is also called "true cinnamon".
It contains far less coumarin. Coumarin can potentially be harmful although kidneys do flush it out.
To be safe, we use only Ceylon cinnamon.

prettyinpink

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica
Great! Thanks so much :hug8:

Is there an amount you shouldn't pass...meaning not too give too much of it? How much is too much?

Robo Hip

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Debbie
Hoping someone can throw in some advice here - I am currently setting up herb gardens for the benefit of my fids and purchased some yellow and blue nasturtiums, chives, parsely, basil & rocket which I know are safe.

However, I also purchased some Amaranth & Roguette which I can not find any info online in reference to their toxicity to our fids - anyone have any ideas or experience with either of these?

Many thanks

orphansparrow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
oh yay! this is just what i was looking for. i found this through google. duh, i should've just searched AA first. thanks. ^__^