• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Herbs and spices benefits for your parrots...

blackivory

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Chels
What is the best way to get your parakeets to start eating herbs? Add them to the top of their daily meal?

LeslieMoran

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
jennifer
Our bird food is the finest quality avian sprouting blend available. It has been formulated to provide complete protein, it has a compatible gemination rate so that it will grow for two to three days to reach optimum nutrition levels for your birds, and it is certified organic. For more information on the importance of these qualities please visit our website.
Best Bird Food Ever

MissLeigh

Strolling the yard
Good info, thanks! How do you give the birds the spices? I have turmeric powder and cayenne powder and I just sprinkle a bit on her veggies. An online article said to put all these spices and herbs in a bowl in her cage.

I have been using Cinnamom powder, Cayenne powder, Hot Pepper Flakes and Ginger powder in my birds food for years and below are a list of herbs and spices that you can add to your birds food to help with their health...
Alfalfa Leaf helps assimilate protein, calcium and other nutrients. Contains chlorophyll. Richest land source of trace minerals. Very rich supply of Beta Carotene, Vitamins K and D. High in Calcium and contains Phosphorus, Iron, Potassium and eight essential enzymes. It is also high in fructo-oligosaccarides which fertilize healthy bacteria in the gut and neutralize bad bacteria overgrowth such as Candida.

Parsley is used as a preventive herb. High in Vitamin B and Potassium. It is said to contain a substance in which cancer cells cannot multiply. Rich in iron, chlorophyll and Vitamins A and C. Contains sodium, copper, thiamin and riboflavin, silicon, sulfur, calcium and cobalt.
Flaxseed supplies the body with essential fatty acids. Not only are flaxseeds richer in these fatty acids than fish oil, but they also taste much better. Flaxseed also promotes strong nails, bones and healthy skin.
Bee Pollen contains 35% Protein, 55% Carbohydrate, 2% Fatty Acids, 3% Minerals and Vitamins. High in B-Complex Vitamins A, C, D and E. Also contains Lecithin, Beta Carotene and Selenium. It is rich in vitamins and contains almost all known minerals, trace elements, enzymes and amino acids. It contains the essence of every plant from which bees collect pollen in combination with digestive enzymes from the bees. This combination of elements make bee pollen an excellent source of antioxidants. Bee pollen is rapidly absorbed into the blood stream and stimulates immunological responses.
Chickweed contains Vitamins A, C and some B, Flavonoids, Calcium, Phosphorus, Potassium and Zinc. It is used for skin problems, to treat blood disorders, gout and arthritis.
Dandelion Leaf benefits liver function. Contains nutritive salts, protein, and is a rich source of Vitamin A. Also high in Vitamins B, C and E. Rich in Potassium, Calcium and sodium. Contains some Phosphorus and Iron as well as Nickel, Cobalt, Tin and Copper.
Red Clover Blossoms and Leaf contain Vitamins A, C, B-Complex, calcium, Chromium, Iron and Magnesium. Ed Clover has also been used effectively as a blood purifier and antibiotic.
Red Raspberry Leaf contains Vitamins A, C, D, E, and B. It is very high in available Calcium.
Rose Hips is abundant in Vitamin C and helps combat stress.
Milk Thistle Seeds supports the liver's ability to maintain normal liver function. Milk thistle works due to its ability to inhibit the factors responsible for liver damage, coupled with the fact it stimulates production of new liver cells to replace old damaged ones. Milk thistle is also an antioxidant that is more potent than Vitamins C and E.
Barley Grass is rich in Beta Carotene, B Vitamins and Vitamin C, the minerals Potassium, Calcium, Iron, Phosphorus, Magnesium, Chlorophyll, 8 essential amino acids and enzymes, including antioxidant and superoxide dismutase. In total, it contains 92 minerals and 22 vitamins.
Dill Weed is high in Calcium and soothing to digestion.
Dulse is rich in Protein. It contains 22% more than chickpeas, almonds or whole sesame seeds. Very high in Vitamins B6 and B12. Relatively low in sodium and high in Potassium. Rich in trace minerals.
Garlic Powder fights bacteria like an antibiotic. Garlic's sulfur compounds, in addition to Selenium and Vitamins A and C containing compounds, make it a potent antioxidant, protecting cell membranes and DNA from damage and disease. Garlic directly attacks bacteria and viruses and stimulates the bodies natural defenses against foreign invaders.
Ginger Powder is an absolute favorite taste of parrots. It is an excellent herb for the respiratory system as well as an effective cleansing agent for the digestive system. It contains Protein, Vitamins A, C and B Complex, Calcium, Phosphorus, Iron, Sodium, Potassium and Magnesium.
Wheat grass contains to many nutrients to mention them all. It is especially high in Fiber, Protein, Chlorophyll, Beta-Carotene, Vitamin B Complex, C, E and K, most minerals and contains 18 Amino Acids. High in Fructo-Oligosaccharides.
Astragalus Powder is an immunomodulator. It contains Glycosides, Polysaccharides, Choline, Betaine, Rumatakenin, and Beta-Sitosterol. It activates the immune system, thus enhancing the body's natural ability to fight disease and protecting the body against a number of toxins.
Chili Flakes is a digestive aid. This flake acts as an anti-inflammatory agent and aids in controlling pain.
Cinnamon is a favorite taste of parrots. It is a digestive aid and recent studies have shown it may help to eliminate E. Coli in food.
Turmeric Root has five times more antioxidant power than Vitamin E. Contains curcumin and many other phytochemicals. Makes foods more digestible and possesses anti-fungal and antibacterial properties and protects the liver by detoxification and scavenging free radicals. It also breaks down fats.
Taken from: http://www.aviannaturals.com/herbmix.html

Cayenne Pepper:

Cayenne is rich in the vitamins A, C, iron, potassium and calcium. It also contains some B complex, magnesium, phosphorus and sulfur. It has an antioxident effect that in very high doses can increase the risk of some cancers but in moderate doses can help to heal other cancers.

Taken from: http://www.holisticbirds.com/pages/cayenne0801.htm

:hug8:

VICKEE

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Victoria
You can offer them many different ways, some are put in a different bowl for the birds to pick through themselfs. I personally add it to my chop or mash
Good info, thanks! How do you give the birds the spices? I have turmeric powder and cayenne powder and I just sprinkle a bit on her veggies. An online article said to put all these spices and herbs in a bowl in her cage.

Jesi

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jesi
I am soo confused people are saying garlic is bad for birds just as well as any animal and some say it's okay.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Garlic, like onions, can be dangerous in "large" amounts. However, no one knows at what point it goes from being "safe" to being dangerous. (well, I'm sure there's a guide out there somewhere!)

The amount of garlic that may be safe for a large parrot could be dangerous to a smaller parrot. Different birds may also react differently to what they ingest.

Although I have a list of foods that are "ok" to feed parrots and garlic is on that list, I generally err on the side of caution and don't recommend feeding it. The last thing I want anyone to do is to take the info too liberally and feed too much, resulting in a dead bird. Yes, I have fed garlic, but in the form of a mash... and garlic is one of the least ingredients used when I make it... and I hardly ever use it when I do make mash.

Cozmo luvs feet

Meeting neighbors
hello everyone! I'm brand new on here and was browsing through the threads.. I didn't know that you could feed your birds all those herbs and spices! I have a cockatiel, and am always trying to find new things to feed him that are nutritious and good for him. Do you think all the herbs and spices are good for cockatiels too? :tiel:

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
yes they are, they are good for all of the birds :)

haleybethg

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Haley
What quantities would you use? Is it possible to over do any of these? I make about 1/2c chop/mash at a time and freeze into ice cube trays...just not sure what the "norm" is for measurements!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne

Badger

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Michael Thompson
Hey there, I'm looking to incorporate some garlic powder into my rainbow lorikeets diet. I give him two tea spoons of powdered food a day. How much garlic powder would be suitable to mix in?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Are you treating him for a physical problem or wanting to add the garlic powder for general reasons?

Badger

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Michael Thompson
Are you treating him for a physical problem or wanting to add the garlic powder for general reasons?
Well as it says above that it helps with bacterial problems, Iv'e read that that can be a real problem for lorikeets due to their extra amount of droppings. Figured it could be a good idea to start adding this to his food to prevent it

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I would check with your avian vet before routinely feeding garlic.

Badger

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Michael Thompson
I would check with your avian vet before routinely feeding garlic.
I wont do it if its going to be a big hassle, maybe they should change this thread I feel like people who dont have ALL the information like myself could go right ahead and hurt their birds

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
You will find that people and even vets differ in their opinions of what and how to feed birds. It is not an exact science. What type of bacteria are you referring to? If it is GI one of the best ways to go is putting apple cider vinegar in the water for a while. It should say mother on the label. That means it is unfiltered. Ration is 2 tsp. per quart. There are many threads on AA about ACV for birds and also on the web. Vinegar: A Natural Approach to Avian Management

clawnz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
Great thread. Fits well with my sprouting thread.
I would like consent to copy and past, please.

As for quantities, common sense says to keep any added foods to a logical amount. And not over do it.
The great thing about natural over man made, is that the body does tend to deal with excess much better.

Garlic is one of those everybody seems to have differing opinions of.
I know one breeder adds a little spray of garlic water over his sprouts before serving. He was told it helps to keep the birds free of worms, mites and lice.
Interesting call. But I have to keep an open mind. As his birds including Alex I took in are all in great shape.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Thanks! My bird love wheatgrass and parsley,,,,

CStone

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
My vet, who I trust completely, stuck out his tongue and made the raspberry sound when I mentioned my reservations about feeding the birds foods with garlic and onions in them. He basically said as long as I'm not giving them chunks of them on a regular basis, it's fine for them to eat foods that have been seasoned with them on occasion. Just like anything else, you don't want to overdo it.

Zuzu

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Chantel
Great list thanks, one question ....might be blond here.... isn't garlic on the list of things not to feed your parrot? or is this only fresh garlic? what's the dif? Thanks