• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Herbs and spices benefits for your parrots...

clawnz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
Alfalfa Leaf helps assimilate protein, calcium and other nutrients. Contains chlorophyll. Richest land source of trace minerals. Very rich supply of Beta Carotene, Vitamins K and D. High in Calcium and contains Phosphorus, Iron, Potassium and eight essential enzymes. It is also high in fructo-oligosaccarides which fertilize healthy bacteria in the gut and neutralize bad bacteria overgrowth such as Candida.

Can anybody give any information on where they are ok as sprouts, if one can get hold of viable seeds.

AviMom

Sprinting down the street
I have given my birds flax seed, alfalfa, cinnamon and a few others on the list, but where can you buy these ? Do you get the jars in the spice isle in the grocery store, like garlic powder? Not trying to be thick, but not all cinnamon is real cinnamon for example , how do you know it's safe for your birds??

HarriettWulf

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Harriett Wulf
Thanks for useful information. I have also used a few herbs for cuts and birds stress also. My cutie loves to eat chickweed, ginger and green pepper.

FlyingMacaws

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Naomi
So I use this company for all of my spice needs. Though I grow quite a few of my own this company is amazing. They will grind your spices for you if you want them too. They are not overly expensive and based out of Seattle. Amazing customer service. You can call right to the shop if want to speak to a store employee.
Seattle's Premier Spice, Herb & Tea Shop : World Spice Merchants

clarousel

Not sure if I'll get a response on this thread but I'll give it a shot!

Does anyone here offer dried dandelion leaves (or similar) to their birds? If yes, do you just offer it as it is?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I do not do dried but fresh from the garden along with grasses for the budgie. He gets flowers and herbs and grasses and some of the safe weeds.

Aoi♡

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Elise
Ah okay so fresh is fine too. I miss fresh dandelions! We don't get them here sadly.
Are you in the US?
If so they have fresh organic dandelion leaves in huge bundles.

I have them refigerated and they lasted me for 4 weeks without going bad.

For the dried leaves you can use it for tea put boiling water over it wait for 5-10 mins add cool water to cool it off then serve to your budgie.

clarousel

Are you in the US?
If so they have fresh organic dandelion leaves in huge bundles.

I have them refigerated and they lasted me for 4 weeks without going bad.

For the dried leaves you can use it for tea put boiling water over it wait for 5-10 mins add cool water to cool it off then serve to your budgie.
I'm in Singapore so I don't think we can get them fresh cause of the climate. I've only seen dried leaves/stems.

Trying to get my hands on some seeds so I can give a shot at growing it in the garden!

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie

This is an Ekkie source, but is is comprehensive on edible flowers.

I recently planted some nasturtiums for my parrots.

IMG_20200708_112318.jpg