• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hen won’t come into condition

Atypical

Moving in
I’m a bit timid to post this as I know some people aren’t fans of breeding. I’ve been trying to bring my hen into condition since the beginning of October, but her cere has changed very little. Please do not try to talk me out of breeding. I already know the risks, how to care for chicks/breeding pairs, and how to hand feed. I’ve been researching it for the past 3 months and have already spent $150+ on supplies. I have owned budgies for almost 4 years and have a flock of 11, so I’m no stranger to budgies. All babies will be staying with me. My issue is my hen won’t come into condition. She’s been getting more sunlight, fresh food and baths daily, and she has a cuttlebone and mineral block. I moved her into a cage with just my cock about a week ago, and they’ve certainly bonded very well. Her cere looks like it has changed slightly but not a lot. Both of my other hens have come into condition, but they are young and quite immature, so I’m not using them. I started her on a breeding supplement yesterday, so we’ll see if that helps at all. Her cere currently is mostly white with a very, very pale brown around her nostrils and then a little bit of pale blue. There’s not nest box in the cage currently. I don’t want to add it in until she’s in condition because I fear she may breed when she’s not in condition. My hen is 2 1/2 and my cock is 3. She’s healthy so I’m stumped.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
If she doesn't feel ready for breeding she won't come into condition. Thus could be just the way she feels or a health issue, or even something disturbing her sleep.

Last edited:

Atypical

Moving in
If she doesn't feel ready for breeding she won't come into condition. Thus could be just the way she feels or a health issue, or even something disturbing her sleep.
I’ve had her checked by my avian vet twice already and she’s been given a clean bill of health both times:confused:. As far as I know all of my birds sleep like babies. I’m not in a rush to breed them, so I don’t mind waiting a little longer if she’s not in the mood. I’ll give her another few weeks and if I see no change in her behavior and cere then I’ll let her be and try with a different hen next year. There definitely has been a change in her cere since October though. Blue is almost gone and there’s a bit of tan which is why I’m thinking she’s just a little slow.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Sorry I do not give breeding advice.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Yes don’t be so impatient. When did she molt?

I dont breed budgies but with finches, their bodies prepare to breed when the rainy season starts - because that;s when food is plentiful. You might research them ‘in the wild’ and see what triggers their readiness. It’s not a mood. It’s a bunch of physical factors that have to align. And wit some species it’s also a certain time of year. Depending on where your’e located, October/November might be the wrong season.

Atypical

Moving in
Yes don’t be so impatient. When did she molt?

I dont breed budgies but with finches, their bodies prepare to breed when the rainy season starts - because that;s when food is plentiful. You might research them ‘in the wild’ and see what triggers their readiness. It’s not a mood. It’s a bunch of physical factors that have to align. And wit some species it’s also a certain time of year. Depending on where your’e located, October/November might be the wrong season.
People around here usually breed in fall/winter due to the absolutely insane heat and dry spells in spring and summer. I’ve gone over the physical factors multiple times to make sure I haven’t missed anything. Lots of greens and fresh food, baths daily, longer days, and I read that being around other budgies stimulates them to breed so she’s able to see and hear the rest of the flock. Everything has been provided for her so now it’s just a very long waiting game lol! She molts once a year and started in mid/late August and finished early/mid September. I know you’re not supposed to breed during a molt. I’ve been preparing them since early October and my other two are in/are coming into condition so I was a bit confused as to why the one I want breed wasn’t. Thought it was something with her health so I took her to the vet again but she was completely fine. I suppose I was being a bit impatient!:D

Atypical

Moving in
I appreciate all the feedback from everyone! I’ve done everything I can think of to help her come into condition so I’m just going to continue doing what I’m doing and research some more to see if there’s anything I missed. I’ll update if I notice any significant changes. Hope y’all have a great day. :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Fresh foods may not be the best trigger. A common trigger in nature is abundance - primarily of protein and fats. If her diet is low in the building blocks of life, then the body may not see this as a good time to encourage breeding.

I've heard some people use hemp seeds/hearts to encourage breeding.

Budgiebonkers

aka Pandapaws23
Avenue Veteran
has she ever been in condition fully? if not she may never go into condition some hens never go into condition you could try separating her from any males for a week and see if that makes her cere change also misting with water seems to help if shes molting she may not want to breed upping her protein with boiled eggs with the shells might help

Mybluebird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Anne
Sorry I don't know anything about breeding but good luck. Look forward to seeing baby pictures one day.

PoukieBear

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
Unfortunately there's nothing really you can do to force a hen to come into condition. Mother nature and hormones just need to do their thing, and you just need to have patience.

Atypical

Moving in
Update! Blue on her cere is so pale it’s basically invisible. A very big difference from a few days ago. I suspect she’ll be ready for the nest box in about a week or two. Unfortunately I will not be posting babies here, but to my private social media account. Here’s color possibilities of the babies though! Hens will be opaline and cocks will be split for it. Possible clearflights and violets. I don’t remember if my cock is split for ino or not, so we’ll just let that be a nice little surprise! Thank you for the advice everyone it was much appreciated!!