• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hen vomiting ... my experience

demhahero

Moving in
Real Name
Afera Donkson
Warning, this post is not meant to give you reliable information of how to treat your budgie, rather, I would just share with you my experience. I am no expert!!!

One day night, my hen started vomiting, at first I thought she was regurgitating as usual, but after careful observations, I made sure she was vomiting all the seeds she ate earlier. I have no clue why she did that, but after like 10 mins, she stopped it. Probably she emptied the crop. In that day morning, she did not eat well. I can tell since I was handfeeding her. She was around 1 year old and I was trying to build trust with her.

Anyways, I decided to watch her instead of going to vet. First thing I did was cleaning the cage and covering it with a piece of clothing to keep her warming and to rest throughout the night. In the morning I presented her water with garlic and a few drops of lemon. Heard that would help her to recover. One day later and everything was fine with her.

Possible reasons, could be due to handfeeding or because I was letting her kissing me. Could be an infection from my lips, hands or she ate her poops (sometimes she does that, but very rare). BTW, I stopped feeding her by my hands and allowing her to touch my lips.

Please again, I am no expert, I just tried to follow what google suggests in such cases. If that happens to you and you are able to visit a vet, DO IT.

Wish your feathered friends a healthy, happy, and long life.

Last edited:

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
I'm very glad that it turned out ok and your hen is fine. I haven't heard that it would be ok to feed budgies garlic. If it ever happens again please take her to the vet. Illness can turn serious very quickly with little birds.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
What you did is very dangerous so I am very pleased in this instance everything worked out alright for your feathered friend.
Handfeeding a 1 year old budgie sounds a little odd to me, if your budgie needed to be handfed then it most likely needed a vet.

Garlic is toxic to birds in certain amounts and the problem is that no one really knows how much garlic it takes to harm or kill a bird.

If anything like this ever happens again you really should not be following bizarre unproven medical advice from Google.... especially if it is suggesting the mixing of odd concoctions for your bird as you could be actually doing something much more dangerous to your bird than what it is already dealing with or simply adding to the issues your delicate bird already has to fight- Google has some great information and also a tonne of rubbish, I hope that in future you do not do what you mention here as it is very dangerous to your bird.

My guess from your description is your bird was possibly overfed and vomited the food that was causing discomfort- I do not actually believe that your bird was cured from any illness or infection from one dose of water with garlic and lemon in it...... if your bird was indeed actually sick then this water would likely have only made it more unwell.

I am glad your bird is well but I now sincerely hope no one else reads this post from you and thinks they should give it a go too :(

demhahero

Moving in
Real Name
Afera Donkson
What you did is very dangerous so I am very pleased in this instance everything worked out alright for your feathered friend.
Handfeeding a 1 year old budgie sounds a little odd to me, if your budgie needed to be handfed then it most likely needed a vet.

Garlic is toxic to birds in certain amounts and the problem is that no one really knows how much garlic it takes to harm or kill a bird.

If anything like this ever happens again you really should not be following bizarre unproven medical advice from Google.... especially if it is suggesting the mixing of odd concoctions for your bird as you could be actually doing something much more dangerous to your bird than what it is already dealing with or simply adding to the issues your delicate bird already has to fight- Google has some great information and also a tonne of rubbish, I hope that in future you do not do what you mention here as it is very dangerous to your bird.

My guess from your description is your bird was possibly overfed and vomited the food that was causing discomfort- I do not actually believe that your bird was cured from any illness or infection from one dose of water with garlic and lemon in it...... if your bird was indeed actually sick then this water would likely have only made it more unwell.

I am glad your bird is well but I now sincerely hope no one else reads this post from you and thinks they should give it a go too :(
Thank you for the informative feedback. First, I did not feed her garlic, I put a garlic clove in water and keept it for like 6 hours, then I poured the water (without garlic) in the water feeder. I heard from some sources this way can improve his/her immune system. I would never ever feed my budgie plain garlic based on a suggestion from untrusted source!

Second, my budgie can eat on her own, I was trying to earn her trust by feeding her. Anyways, I stopped doing that. I do not want to hurt my lovely budgie.

I agree with you, what I did was not the right way or as you described it, unproven medical advice. Hopefully, I warned readers at the beginning of the post. But if you feel this post may misguide people, I give my consent to remove it.

Best,

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
If that happens to you and you are able to visit a vet, DO IT.
, I decided to watch her instead of going to vet
Interesting.
Did you go to a vet at all, as you recommend?

Handfeeding a 1 year old budgie sounds a little odd to me
Indeed.
Did you know that if you over feed your bird, they will vomit? So if they have eaten lots of seed, then you pump forula in, they will vomit it back up.
Once a bird is weaned it is important to let them eat normally and stop handfeeding. An occassional 1 or 2cc as a treat would be ok.

she ate her poops (sometimes she does that,
That is concerning. Be sure to clean the cage frequently. It is important to talk to your vet about this.
Is she getting a complete diet? Vegetables, pellets etc?

Exactly. I have heard it mentioned here a few times that in small amounts it can be good... however this is something you should only be giving under an avian vets orders because too much is toxic.

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
Thank you for the informative feedback. First, I did not feed her garlic, I put a garlic clove in water and keept it for like 6 hours, then I poured the water (without garlic) in the water feeder. I heard from some sources this way can improve his/her immune system. I would never ever feed my budgie plain garlic based on a suggestion from untrusted source!

Second, my budgie can eat on her own, I was trying to earn her trust by feeding her. Anyways, I stopped doing that. I do not want to hurt my lovely budgie.

I agree with you, what I did was not the right way or as you described it, unproven medical advice. Hopefully, I warned readers at the beginning of the post. But if you feel this post may misguide people, I give my consent to remove it.

Best,
I think by handfeed you might be meaning you are feeding seeds or pellets by hand (not formula)?

I'm so glad your lovely bird is well. Please stick around on these forums, there is a wealth of knowledge here! I've found it so helpful in learning about nutrition, appropriate toys, behaviour, and I've found that the members are always happy to answer even the small questions. My budgies lives are (I think) improved as a result of coming to read the threads so I hope you find it as useful as I have :heart: