• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Hen vent prolapse?????

Beki lou

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rebekah Taylor
6C41492C-7FEA-43FC-9A25-E706D7D22937.jpeg Please can I get some advice. This is my poorly rescue hen and am I right she has a cloatal prolapse??? She’s been put on her own and is being treated for mites. She had this crusty face when I took her and 9 others.
The rest are being treated for scaly face.
She’s had a messy vent for a while and I caught her today as she was looking very sore. On cleaning her up much to her disgust at being caught... few nips later I managed to get a pic.
She’s been sketchy of my hand since being dosed with a dropper bless her.
I read this is fatal? I did notice her poop the other day and it came out then but seemed to disappear. Only to this point it appears. I’m gutted the poor little thing is suffering and feel awful for putting her thru the treatment and cleaning but with any hope of helping her I will do it.
Thank you in advance

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Were you able to get in contact with a vet?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Here is the link to the information posted about the vet last time;

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I can't tell from the photo as it does not look too far out but if its a prolapse it needs to be kept moist so the tissue won;t die. Really need to get a vets opinion. They can push it back in & sew a suture around opening so its not fatal if treated but it remains weak & could prolapse again. Some surgeons have some tricks to try to keep it in...Need to make sure the diet has moisture...Sometimes straining from eggs can loosen the muscles. They are not sure all the reasons why it occurs but strianing is not goos...Still a flighted bird would have stronger muscle,sI hope it will be OK

Beki lou

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rebekah Taylor
She really is a poor little hen... so angry for her that she was let get this way. I’ve had contact with the vet in the uk and I shall have to give her a phone call. I’ve exchanged emails with celine and she gave me advice re the mites which she’s also being treated for. I thought I heard her cheep earlier in a chirpy way. Just hope the ivermectin works!!
She seems to appreciate being alone away from the flock and has slept under wing for first time in ages that I’ve observed. I’m sure she was in too much discomfort with the mites to settle properly.
Her skin looks very red on her neck... I don’t know if it’s coz she’s a ino her skin may look brighter.
Will the ivermectin take care of any type of mites she may have?? For example respiratory?
I use a different vet for my dog and they can’t offer any advice.
I’m long term poorly myself so don’t have much in the way of funds but will do anything necessary for her.
Can anyone answer why my youngster Tanguy was trying to bite of the lesions around her beak and eyes? I thought he may of been trying to flirt but it was only that. Otherwise he ignored her really.
Thank you again for your help. Many thanks from lady aurièr