• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hen help - looking to adopt in OK

Status
Not open for further replies.

penny'smom

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Ashley
We brought home 2 chickens last weekend: a bantam (Isabel - on the right) and some variety of jungle fowl (Francesca - left) over the weekend - taken from a neglect situation. I actually thought Isabel was dead when I pulled her out of the coop, but she started eating and drinking and seemed to perk up - though she couldn't move one of her legs. She was perky during the weekend, but by Monday afternoon was listless and breathing heavily. At the vet's office she had several seizures and then she was just gone. He said she was very weak and probably had a neurological condition. We only had her a few days but are so very upset to lose her out of the blue.
chicks 001.jpg
As much as I hate to think about it, I think we need to find a friend for Francesca, as she is a lonely girl now. I am looking for a small hen because Francesca is so little. If anyone knows of a rescue in Oklahoma that has chickens, I'd greatly appreciate it! We don't eat meat or eggs; we just want to provide a good home. We have a screened in patio where the coop will be, and they will live there on bad-weather days and overnight. We built a 6x8 run out of PVC and chicken wire for daytime in the backyard (which also has a 6' fence).

penny'smom

Real Name
Ashley
Oh, she's perfect! Looks like the same type/size. 300 miles away, though... We're in Enid, OK. I'll have to see if my BIL is coming up from Dallas anytime soon. If anyone on AA is traveling that direction, we could possibly meet part-way?

birdlover82

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Have you checked craigslist in your area to see if there are any grown hens on there? While it might not be a rescue situation I'm sure both Francesca and the little hen you got would be very happy.

penny'smom

Real Name
Ashley
I've looked on Craigslist here and surrounding areas, but I'm only finding people who breed chickens and are selling chicks.

birdlover82

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Maybe put up a add that you are looking for a grown hen. Some people will be getting rid of their older hens to make room for their new ones.:( Something I could never do.

penny'smom

Real Name
Ashley
I put up an ad. My husband is also going to ask a co-worker (who has chickens - mainly for eggs, I think) if he has one we could have. The guy sometimes eats them, so I think it would qualify as a rescue if we took one. I'm sure that not long after easter there will be PLENTY of unwanted chickens that stupid parents bought for their kids as a novelty (and didn't consider the fact that they grow up and have needs).

Status
Not open for further replies.