• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Helping a cage bound parrot..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm not too sure what my next steps with Thomas will be. My biggest priority is to ensure he doesn't lose any more blood around here and hurt himself further than he has already. Never dealt with this type of issue before and certainly had no idea that this was included when I agreed that Thomas could come live with us.

I had no idea that Thomas would be a parrot who's had to deal with long term neglect, ESPECIALLY when it comes to interaction outside of his cage.

I need help. I don't want to limit him to what we have at the moment. That's certainly no way for any companion parrot to live. Somehow I have to find a way to help him lose his fear and stop being terrified of being outside of the cage.

I think I will contact Barbara Heindenreich to ask for some advice. At the moment I only know that I should take things very slow and remain CONSISTANT.

I'd be interested in hearing about any success stories or helpful advice. So that I am not being redundant, here are some of my Thomas threads as a reference..

http://forums.avianavenue.com/poicephalus-place/91973-thomas-red-bellied.html

http://forums.avianavenue.com/bird-...l-parrot-who-prefers-no-physical-contact.html

http://forums.avianavenue.com/bird-...-you-feel-about-your-parrots-former-home.html (especially this one)

http://forums.avianavenue.com/poicephalus-place/92984-thomas-red-bellied-after-yesterdays-storm.html

http://forums.avianavenue.com/poice...some-avian-organics-blueberry-mini-stick.html

I think this link has some interesting info to share. :)

Feathered Family Inc. | Parrot Rescue and Adoption, Erie CO

Last edited:

Tangle Elf

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I'm in the same boat with Korbin Dallas. I got him a really large cage so that just in case he chooses to never leave it, he'll have lots of space. We're taking baby steps on making him feel safe. We don't force him to do anything except allow us to change his food, water and papers. Everything is done slowly while talking to him. He takes treats from us now. At first he would snatch and drop them. Now he's settled down and able to eat the treats. At first he wouldn't leave his one perch. Now, he's all over the cage. He even hangs upside down and dances. The calming drops seem to work wonders for him. My husband didn't even know that I had started using them and commented on how much he had calmed down. We still have episodes. He's only been here for 8 months though and I plan on having years or even decades to work with him.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm in the same boat with Korbin Dallas. I got him a really large cage so that just in case he chooses to never leave it, he'll have lots of space. We're taking baby steps on making him feel safe. We don't force him to do anything except allow us to change his food, water and papers. Everything is done slowly while talking to him. He takes treats from us now. At first he would snatch and drop them. Now he's settled down and able to eat the treats. At first he wouldn't leave his one perch. Now, he's all over the cage. He even hangs upside down and dances. The calming drops seem to work wonders for him. My husband didn't even know that I had started using them and commented on how much he had calmed down. We still have episodes. He's only been here for 8 months though and I plan on having years or even decades to work with him.
Thanks Jen.:) I appreciate knowing this. I noticed in the first few days that I offered treats to Thomas he'd actually SNATCH the treat in a pretty aggressive way. Now he's alot more polite about it and accept the treat very nicely.:) I think he feels more comfortable and is less stressed out about being near my fingers. By the way, is Korbin in his own room or does he share with the rest of the flock?

Tangle Elf

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen

Thanks Jen.:) I appreciate knowing this. I noticed in the first few days that I offered treats to Thomas he'd actually SNATCH the treat in a pretty aggressive way. Now he's alot more polite about it and accept the treat very nicely.:) I think he feels more comfortable and is less stressed out about being near my fingers. By the way, is Korbin in his own room or does he share with the rest of the flock?
He shares a double macaw cage with Judy. They're interested in each other, but if she gets to close to him, it scares him and he flips out a little bit. Zena is on the other side of the room. The final deciding factor on getting Judy was as a companion to Korbin Dallas. In hindsight, I think he would be more comfortable without her there. I still think it will work out better in the long run, but I think that it will take longer.

sammiebird

Walking the driveway
Real Name
samantha
sophie isint too tame, she has a pretty huge cage with tons of toys, because she really hates to come out, i was quite surprised to have found shed escaped earlier! were trying to tame her as well.( i keep saying her when shes actually a boy XD)

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Petoskey came here in June. He is just now coming out of his cage. He sees the other birds. He just perches on the top of the cage door and preens and watches. AS I go by, I talk to all the birds including him. Every once in a while he steps up or lets me give him a head scritch. Slow but sure as that has the most lasting affect. I'm not going any where so he can take as much time as he needs. He was mostly in a cage his first year so he is learning also.

Ziggymon

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
I think it is very, very early days to expect any change. It took Rosebud more than a year to decide that she could sort of trust me, and she wasn't even a phobic bird, just one who had bluffed her prior family into being intimidated by her, so she never really had any interactions with humans. I let her make all the decisions about how much interaction she wanted. Within the past several months, our relationship has changed dramatically - she wants on me all the time, she licks my lips, she's just a completely different bird with me.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He shares a double macaw cage with Judy. They're interested in each other, but if she gets to close to him, it scares him and he flips out a little bit. Zena is on the other side of the room. The final deciding factor on getting Judy was as a companion to Korbin Dallas. In hindsight, I think he would be more comfortable without her there. I still think it will work out better in the long run, but I think that it will take longer.
:hug8:Sounds like you've got alot more on your plate than I do. I read through some of your past threads about Korbin. He's lucky to have landed with you.

I don't think Thomas will be frightened of any of my 3 others. In fact he seems to find comfort in hearing them and seeing them from his room. He also doesn't freak out when my hands are in his cage. I really don't know if I trust him to let him touch me yet. Not after the crazy bites he gave me 2 weeks ago so for now I think I will avoid touching him until I am good and ready. I honestly don't know when that will be but probably not for a while.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
If the cage is the "source" of these problems Saemma then what you should be striving to do is to be removing that cage from the equation. I'm not saying to take away the cage "today" because this is a process that will take a fair amount of time. (Because of Thomas's situation it would be something I would do over a period of a year or possibly more). Possibly in a few months when he "knows" the present situation and is feeling more comfortable/secure you can start by getting an indoor aviary that is big enough for you to enter (and hang out if that's what it takes) so that you can become "part" of that environment instead of something on the outside of his perceived territory reaching in. The idea is to expand the boundaries of his "perceived" territory and to become accepted as part of that territory by being able to physically enter it.

Nothing is rushed. You start out by just putting his cage inside the aviary and never closing the door to it again. You close the aviary. Trying to rehab a special needs bird requires that we go that much further in order to make it happen. The cage is the source of many problems (especially in Thomas case) and if the source of a problem can be remove then the problem has a way of resolving itself.

This is not cage aggression but a great deal of this still applies. ----> Cage Aggression

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks for your insight JOhn.:)Very helpful in understanding the situation a little bit more. I will reflect upon your advice.:hug8:

Parront

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Annrose
I too would say that not enough time has passed. When we rescued the B&G we had, he had been in a tiel size cage, and when we put him in the dbl sided macaw
cage he too became aggressive over his cage. We did could not leave his door open 24x7 but we did leave all the doors on his side open when we were home, so
he had choices. It tooks months but he finally got so we could get him out of the cage w/o issues.
Time and patience is my best advice to you. One of my favorite phrases and I don't know who originally said this, but we say it @ home/work when things seem overwhelming.
"This situation did not happen in a day, nor can I expect it to correct itself in a day". Good Luck

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I too would say that not enough time has passed. When we rescued the B&G we had, he had been in a tiel size cage, and when we put him in the dbl sided macaw
cage he too became aggressive over his cage. We did could not leave his door open 24x7 but we did leave all the doors on his side open when we were home, so
he had choices. It tooks months but he finally got so we could get him out of the cage w/o issues.
Time and patience is my best advice to you. One of my favorite phrases and I don't know who originally said this, but we say it @ home/work when things seem overwhelming.
"This situation did not happen in a day, nor can I expect it to correct itself in a day". Good Luck
Thank you so much for that quote.:) Much appreciated.:)

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I just want to check when you approach him now how are you feeling about being around him do you think about when he bit you? See that is the thing of it I really had to break any fear I had of getting bit by my Mugsey (Not saying you do) when I felt a little fear of a bite I could see the change in his body language I am curious if you had any doubt or fear when you approached him?
I'm not afraid of him. I just don't have any interest in physical contact for the time being. Preventing him from feeling the need to bite me is what's most important to me.:)

Mrcrowley

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jim
Sorry I deleted my post you have more experience with bird behavioral than I do and are probally the person I read and learned from . I am far from someone who knows it all about bird's and my post sounded like I did .My Apologies

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
There is nothing to appologize for McCrowley. I'm learning like everyone else is. Thank you for your feedback and interest. It is much appreciated.:)

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think it is very, very early days to expect any change. It took Rosebud more than a year to decide that she could sort of trust me, and she wasn't even a phobic bird, just one who had bluffed her prior family into being intimidated by her, so she never really had any interactions with humans. I let her make all the decisions about how much interaction she wanted. Within the past several months, our relationship has changed dramatically - she wants on me all the time, she licks my lips, she's just a completely different bird with me.
I was nodding in agreement the whole time I read this post. Time, time, and more time. Of course, I've never had a bird that reacted as extremely as Thomas, but I know plenty about hands-off birdies :) And, I think they have their own time-line, and sometimes, they have their own idea of what "happy" is.

Merlie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm almost in the same boat as you Saemma, with Connor. Although Connor will come out of his cage quite nicely. However, if I approach too quickly he'll panic and take off.

Getting him back into the cage is a whole other issue though. Ugh .. that's been the struggle. Somedays I get lucky and he goes back in on his own, some days not. He's not food motivated at all, so enticing him with treats doesn't work. He'll occasionaly snatch an almond sliver from me, but only when he's inside his cage.

He has absolutely no clue what step up means, and freaks out if I approach even with a long perch to step him up.

However .. he's finally eating pellets!! :dance4: One down .. one million to go!! :lol:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm almost in the same boat as you Saemma, with Connor. Although Connor will come out of his cage quite nicely. However, if I approach too quickly he'll panic and take off.

Getting him back into the cage is a whole other issue though. Ugh .. that's been the struggle. Somedays I get lucky and he goes back in on his own, some days not. He's not food motivated at all, so enticing him with treats doesn't work. He'll occasionaly snatch an almond sliver from me, but only when he's inside his cage.

He has absolutely no clue what step up means, and freaks out if I approach even with a long perch to step him up.

However .. he's finally eating pellets!! :dance4: One down .. one million to go!! :lol:
:hug8: Once I discovered how fond Thomas was of nuts and healthy treats I stopped providing them liberally in his food bowl.

If he wants a desired treat there are only two ways to receive. Either from my hand or my SO's hand or he has to work at extracting it himself from a foraging toy. I want him to fight his fear and intend to push things a little further on a regular basis. I will do so slowly but very surely.:) I will not let this fear consume him any further. Eventually when he will share a room with my others I will leverage them as role models. Right now while he is in a separate room I will work on solidifying my position as someone who is consistant and trustworthy.

Last edited:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:marlenesmile:Look what Thomas accomplished today!!

[video=youtube;Bf0oBf1Maj4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bf0oBf1Maj4&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Status
Not open for further replies.