• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Helpful interesting article about non stick cookware.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez

WinniePooh

Walking the driveway
Real Name
None of your business :)
Is it fine to use teflon if i just close the door to the room my bird is in?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Is it fine to use teflon if i just close the door to the room my bird is in?
It might be okay 100 or 500 times or 1000 times. But it only takes one time for it to kill.

WinniePooh

Walking the driveway
Real Name
It might be okay 100 or 500 times or 1000 times. But it only takes one time for it to kill.
Oh, because i live with my family and we sometimes use teflon, i tell my family members not to use it but they generally dont listen. Is there any tips to help keep Winne (My bird) safe while someone is using teflon?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Oh, because i live with my family and we sometimes use teflon, i tell my family members not to use it but they generally dont listen. Is there any tips to help keep Winne (My bird) safe while someone is using teflon?
Completely remove your bird from the air space and do not return your bird till the house has definitely had a total air exchange for fresh clean uncontaminated air is really the only safe thing you can do, or throw the pans in the trash and replace with actual safe healthy cooking options, they're bad for your health too! Every time they use them in the air your bird also breathes it is a gamble, distance and shutting doors is not enough, it is the same as a gas leak- the fumes are able to travel from one room to another. Think about how much of the home gets fragranced with the food being cooked- even with doors closed you can smell steak or whatever cooking so that means the toxic fumes are also able to penetrate into those areas of the home.

owlsthetic

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you could offer to replace the Teflon pans with ceramic ones would they be open to it?
That's what I did with my sister whom I share my rental space with

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
I agree with the others that the only way to fully safeguard things is to get rid of the Teflon pans (if all else fails, I would give them to charity and feign ignorance when your family wonders where they went).

Additionally, the range hood should always be used on its max fan speed when cooking (Teflon pans, or not) assuming it's properly vented outside (otherwise it's not going to help).

WinniePooh

Walking the driveway
Real Name
I agree with the others that the only way to fully safeguard things is to get rid of the Teflon pans (if all else fails, I would give them to charity and feign ignorance when your family wonders where they went).

Additionally, the range hood should always be used on its max fan speed when cooking (Teflon pans, or not) assuming it's properly vented outside (otherwise it's not going to help).
Also, does a toasted sandwich or breville use teflon? I have already hidden the teflon pan and we have 1 ceramic and a different pan.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
This is a great write up! Certainly clears up a lot of confusion and questions.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Also, does a toasted sandwich or breville use teflon? I have already hidden the teflon pan and we have 1 ceramic and a different pan.
Teflon (PTFE) is in a ton of things. Toasters, toaster ovens, coffee pots, hair dryers, air fryers, pans, heaters, light bulbs, nonstick aluminum foil, some turkey bags, some microwave popcorn bags...even some dental floss.

You need to check your model and look online or contact the company to confirm.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Dental floss?????

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Dental floss?????
That was in the article Shez posted. Defo worth a read. It does say that without excessive heat, it´s non-toxic.

toasted sandwich or breville use teflon?
In addition to what Shawna posted, some companies have some things PTFE free and others that are not, or PTFE free, but certain parts do have PTFE. So you will need to check for that specific model and then chekc all the parts for that model.
I just discovered that although my Nijna airfryer crisper plates are PTFE free, the basket is NOT. Booo!

bug_inarug

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Juniper
I read that microwaves can contain ptfe, is there a way to protect my birds from it? I can't really get rid of it because it doesn't exactly belong to me

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I read that microwaves can contain ptfe, is there a way to protect my birds from it? I can't really get rid of it because it doesn't exactly belong to me
Before freaking out, reach out to the manufacturer to see if they do use PTFE in the microwave you have :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I emailed Hexclad about their pans, and while they are PFOA free, they unfortunately do contain PTFE.

Ninja's Neverstick also contain PTFE.

So just because a box mentions "ceramic" doesn't always mean PTFE free unless it specifically says so.