• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrstweet

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
I have no funds.
I have no job to pay the care credit later.
I have no cash to cab to and from the Vet even if I were to use care credit.

I feel like I'm being attacked for not taking him to the Vet but I CAN'T. My mother refuses to pay for a bird thats not going to stay.
I appreciate Gary's offer, but for that I would have to be able to pay for the initial Vet bill, which I myself can not.
I have read this but not participated. After reading this there's no way I can't say what needs to be said.

You (or your mom) should never have gotten a bird if you cannot pay for the care and upkeep. Birds cost a LOT of money, especially the big guys. The fact that the breeder sent him out to you is a problem, knowing that they've had problems it shows he's deficient in his care of them.

The fact of the matter is you are now responsible for this baby. Find some way to get it what it needs or get it to someone who can get him the care he needs. Shipping him back to the breeder is an option, yes, but most likely a bad one as the baby will die if that breeder was willing to sell to you unweaned in the first place. If you do ship him back, get IN WRITING that you'll get a full refund because he was unable to provide a healthy baby. Either way, he needs to be in better shape before you send him back or he'll die in transit. JR made a VERY generous offer that you should accept.

Does anyone know someone locally who might help, or a rescue who could help?

Last edited:

Big Blues

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
:hug8:Monaaa, what a very sad situation that your new baby is in. Love for birdie life :heart: is what has caused members of this board to present to you that it is more important to put pride by the wayside and accept what has been offered to help. Like people, there are no perfect birds, but I know that he deserves to live and you are the one in control of that now. At the very least, take two steps, stay on the board and listen, and then secondly, find out from a vet what he needs.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I would like to say something please, if I may. I had sent Jill a PM the other day. It was called "I am so proud". In the pm I linked to this thread, and told her how I felt this was the way a thread of this nature should be handled. Everyone had held their tongue, and got to the matter at hand~helping this baby macaw. But then it turned. I understand everyone's frustration. But, if you begin to attack people{like the way so many other threads like this have gone} the OP will get on the defense, and you will ultimately lose them, as you see has happened here. Monaaa, has blocked her pm's, and she may well never return to AA. Just remember this, for the next unweaned baby that someone posts about. And I am sure there will be more. These are just the owners who find their way to AA. Think of the hundreds, maybe thousands of babies who you never hear about. And now, you will never know possibly what happened to this precious one.
This thread prompted me to write to the Governor of Florida-Governor Scott, as I found out,there was a bill passed in 2004 in the state of California, making it illegal to sell unweaned Psittacines. I have pleaded with Governor Scott to consider such a bill for the state of Florida. Because I can almost guarantee, that is where this baby came from. It happens over and over and over. It's always the same scenario. A photo of an older bird is sent to the potential owner, but something mysteriously always happens to that first bird, and a bird of a much younger age{under 4 weeks} is sent. It is almost always Macaws and African Greys, though I am sure there are others as well. The bill would make it illegal for any store, bird mart, breeder, broker, etc, to sell a baby bird that is not eating on it's own without assistance.
Please, keep this thread in mind, and handle people who join our community with respect and concern for the matter at hand. And that is getting them on the right track, feeding the proper amount, keeping the temperature of formula and brooder correct, and so on. And please, if you are not experienced personally, do not post this imperative information just on what you have read.
Thanks AA:hug8:

Last edited:

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Monaaa, We all care! If you read this and would like our help, you can post here or contact one of us via PM. You can also call Kathie at the number she posted. To contact me or my wife JR off the board use: wingedvictory1@gmail.com
:hug8::hug8:

gary

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Im so sad to read all this, I wish Mona would have just gone to vet and cried her young eyes out. A caring vet would have helped her and possibly took payments. Its sad she felt "bullied" but this is the best forum Ive ever been on.

Last edited:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I suggest rehoming the baby bird locally to someone who can bring it to the avian vet immediately and then adopt a fully weaned baby :)

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
The baby looks 100% better in the last photos. He is not "sentenced to death". Mona has made great improvements. He looks hydrated. The toes are the least problem, though they look scary. I read some articles on this subject, and there are some things that can be done at home which could improve the toes, such as soaks and massage. Don't just assume he will die, and really that could be taken as offending to the tenacity of the original poster as well. Maybe they will have a change of heart.:heart: We can hope so.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Also since this is your moms bird and her money, your just the middle man, perhaps its time to invite her to these forums to read these posts. She is in charge of the money now and future Care of any bird you will have, so I believe perhaps she should come here instead :)

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Carole, what I meant was that when she sends the bird back to the breeder/broker. Forgive me if I was mis-undestood.

magni

Hit the Road
Real Name
Denise
Hi, I understand it is hard to accept help, you are proud and you don't feel comfortable taking that help. But I would be glad to help pay the vet and when you can get him stabilized we can find another home if you don't want him. When you get to a vet they can call me and I will pay over the phone. You can PM me:hug8:

Chantilly Lace

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
How much did you pay for the bird? I know I would be willing to donate to a fund so we can pay you back the money you paid, and have you send this bird to a member here with experience hand feeding baby macaws instead of back to the breeder.

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
There are so many with kind hearts here.:) It appears Monaaa and her mother are on the right track with hand feeding from seeing the before and after pictures. I feel they are doing a great job and just need a little help. The help can be in the way of paying the vet bill and supplying them with supplies needed to raise it.

From the above posts many members are willing to help with vet costs. Another option, vendors here on the Avenue auction goods to raise money to vet the bird, raise the bird and find it a home should Monaaa and her mother choose to get another bird. I hate to reward an unethical breeder but I also want to save this bird. If anyone has a better suggestion about moving forward helping this bird, please speak up.

There are many options Monaaa, we are here to help you! :hug8:

Gary

Merlie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Guys ...

I think we should just let this go. Everything has been offered to help, down to out and out paying for the bird and/or vet bills. It's quite obvious to me that something else is going on.

I feel just sick about this baby Mac .. in the end, he/she is the one paying the price for all the mistakes made, the biggest of course is a breeder being allowed to sell a 4 wk. old bird to an inexperienced, under funded, home.

I'm sure the Admins. here have this gal's e-mail and can reach her thru that to let her know there have been many offers of serious help, perhaps they already have, perhaps this gal already knows there are people willing to step up big time and just doesn't want the help for whatever reason.

Let's keep in mind, there are reasons why people buy unweaned birds .. not good ones either .. and it's usually a money thing. Unweaned = cheaper. No matter what we do to help this one, there will be another to take it's place.

We can't save them all, we can't help them all .. and I think in this case, everyone has gone above and beyond to do everything possible .. except for the bird's owners.

I don't feel there was any type of "attack' ... not at all. A lot of frustration yes .. absolutely, but so many people offered so much .. only to get turned down or ignored .. of course there will be frustration.

Before we all make ourselves crazy, let's just let this go. All the info is here if she wants to come back for help, it's all up to her now.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Carole, what I meant was that when she sends the bird back to the breeder/broker. Forgive me if I was mis-undestood.
No offense was meant. Please, I just want everyone to know. This is not a forum to debate the alignment of the planets, or how many toys someone should have. This forum is 911, it's an emergency. A bird needs proper care, help with an injury or disease. Once the first post was made, about how the person should take the bird to the vet, and that OP responded that it was not her decision not to, it should have been dropped. But it kept on being pushed, until she felt attacked. The purpose of threads in this forum should be to help the bird posted about. And a few hugs don't hurt.:hug8::hug8::hug8:
Monaaa, if you are reading this, please, you can enable PM's just long enough to send me your phone number, or take mine. I would like to continue to help you in any way I can, as there are also others who have offered as well. Please, consider taking the help of someone.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I'm sorry, I understand that we should try to be nice, but this thread never went as nasty as it could have and I think that people really did try to be as nice as possible but when you tell a person what needs to be done and they flat out refuse to listen and don't seem to care about the welfare of the bird over the money that might be involved, then people are not going to continue to be nice about the situation and I think it's too much to ask us to do so. People didn't drop the idea that this bird was in dire need of a vet because we were hoping that the OP might finally grasp the concept. I don't think there was anything wrong with continuing to remind the OP what she was really doing to this bird by deciding that she didn't want to be responsible.

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
I agree, there were no attacks. People were frustrated and upset because they could not understand how someone could be so down right unconcerned about this innocent baby.

And I agree, we should just let it go. She is refusing vet care, she is refusing help and she is shipping the poor thing back. I really hope they don't buy another unweaned baby...or another bird at all until they have enough money to care for the bird.

Last edited:

GlassOnion

I've been holding back VERY hard not to unleash anger and frustration. One thing though: Underfunded people UNEDUCATED on parrot ownership should never buy a 'cool' parrot that will cost thousands a year and can outlive you, let alone a featherless chick.

Weirsh Bird

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Aubrey
Unfortunately, this sounds like an all-too common situation being handled by someone who didn't quite care enough to accept several generous offers. I don't care if you are "too proud" to accept help...freakin suck it up and do it to help the animal in YOUR CARE. Pride, humbleness, etc. is NOT a viable excuse in this situation. Pride means nothing to this baby bird, she was letting her own ideas stand in the way of the care this baby needs. I personally feel very humbled if I am offered monetary assistance in caring for my animals, but I never refuse because of it. That money can make a world of difference to my creatures, so who am I to refuse them that because of my own notions about it. This thread really grinds my gears, and I didn't want to say anything before because everyone was stating the obvious so VERY well. Now that she's gone, though, these are my honest thoughts. Come to think of it, I wouldn't mind it if she read this anyway.

GlassOnion

I wonder what the mother would've done with the bird, when eventually the OP moves out.

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Hey guys lets try and stay positive on this thread, should anyone want to vent lets open another thread and do it there. I would rather see the thread closed on a positive note than everyone argue right and wrong.

I have pent up feelings about the breeder and have held my tongue. The current owners Monaaa and her mother are new to birds and don't know how fragile and expensive they are to care for. I feel we have a responsibility to teach them without prejudice, as hard as that may be.

Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.