• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WingedVictory

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Monaaa, your bird is looking much better. Please call Kathie as she has offered to help. Kathie has many years of bird store experience with birds this age.

Gary

Conurechicken

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Karen
Monaa,
Please find a way to take this baby to an avian vet.

Ten years ago I was an employee at a bigbox petstore & was put in charge of all incoming unweaned parrots even though I had never handfed. A baby (6-7 week) umbrella cockatoo came in late in the day & didn't look right. I did what I could, but when I came in the next day he was worse. I finally got permission to take him to a vet but it was too late. He was too dehydrated & cold. He died at the vet's office.

I will never forget leaving that baby in the cold back room hoping he'd be OK overnight. I will always regret not being more assertive in getting him to a veterinarian the day he came in. I will always remember opening his cardboard box(!?!) the next morning & finding a barely responsive baby.

Please do the right thing for this baby. Please don't put him on a planeride he may not survive & even if he does survive, bringing him back to a place where he may not get the care he needs. You have gotten excellent advice on AA & generous offers of help. Please take advantage of these offers so you don't have to deal with the guilt of not helping this little one.

Karen

monaaa

Meeting neighbors
I changed the towels right after, I'm glad he looks better. The heat in there is between what you guys said was good for him and I have no car to drive to Walmart right now, my parents also don't drive. I'll try to call in a moment, I have a lot of phone calls to make, regarding the bird, and some unrelated issues with my brother have had me on the phone all day. I'll PM you right now though Kathie.

Bridgette

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridgette
Have you decided to keep the bird? Or are you still sending him back to the breeder?

crzybrdldy

Real Name
Patty
The only thing I can say is " I am speechless".

I agree with all that has been said, if and when you return this baby to the flim flam man that sold him to you is going to say that you are responsible for his condition as you didn't take him/her to the vet as soon as got it, in order to have a decent outcome you will need to have the baby seen by a BCAV and treatment dispensed. In the end when you try to get your money back and don't, court will be the next step, although I am not a lawyer I am sure the judge is going to want to know if the bird was seen by a BCAV and when you tell him no I do not think there will be a favorable outcome. I could be wrong and hope that I am but I don't think so.

The only one who is losing here is the baby who can't tell you the pain he/she is feeling.

Best of luck!

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I don't even know what to do at this point its like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. I'm just so unhappy with the whole situation.

I have edited this a dozen times.... here is the best I have....and then I will keep my nose out of this thread because my heart can't take anymore of this:

Gary made a wonderful offer, you can still do this even if you ship the bird back..... then you can get things for your new bird, but at least take care of this poor innocent creature because the breeder obviously is not going to....

Providing proper care to any bird is not negotiable and it can be very expensive, the next bird could also have issues that require Vet care.....I so wish this was considered before anybody gets a bird, especially a "deal" bird.... there is no such thing with birds.

These birds are completely dependent on humans to take good care of them and it is so heartbreaking when the humans let them down, please, please, please have this one seen by a Vet before he gets shipped back to somebody you know he has no chance with............. please............

monaaa

Meeting neighbors
I have no funds.
I have no job to pay the care credit later.
I have no cash to cab to and from the Vet even if I were to use care credit.

I feel like I'm being attacked for not taking him to the Vet but I CAN'T. My mother refuses to pay for a bird thats not going to stay.
I appreciate Gary's offer, but for that I would have to be able to pay for the initial Vet bill, which I myself can not.

Bridgette

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridgette
I think people are just upset and frustrated at the situation. Have you explained to your mom that, should this escalate to court, you and she would probably be blamed for not seeking medical attention for this bird? In the long run, you may end up having to pay for a dead bird.

monaaa

Meeting neighbors
But its not my fault! I'm just stuck in the middle and trying to do what I can with what I have.

My mother feels confident enough that she'll get her money back, I told her everything already and if thats how she wants to handle things, what am I to do about it? I cant put a gun to her head and force her to keep him or pay for his medical expenses. Nor can I do that to the breeder.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Monaaa,

I'm sorry that you are feeling attacked, but I'm sure you can understand why people are having a hard time with this. If you send this baby back to the breeder, you will most likely be killing him. Does your mother understand this? This bird needs to see a vet and only you can convince your mother to do this. Without vet care, this bird will most likely die. I understand your situation, but will you be able to live with the fact that your actions, or inactions are putting this bird's entire life in jeopardy? I agree with everone else in the fact that the breeder is most likely not going to give you your money back. Your best bet is to keep this bird and do what is necessary to keep him healthy. By not keeping him, you are most likely killing him and for what? So you can get another bird who is going to need the same or similar requirements? All birds need to be seen by a vet, especially young ones. His condition is probably fairly easy to care for, but he needs to get the care. Where are you located, perhaps some of our members are in your area and can help in some way.

Sailor's Mom

Sprinting down the street
I have no funds.
I have no job to pay the care credit later.
I have no cash to cab to and from the Vet even if I were to use care credit.

I feel like I'm being attacked for not taking him to the Vet but I CAN'T. My mother refuses to pay for a bird thats not going to stay.
I appreciate Gary's offer, but for that I would have to be able to pay for the initial Vet bill, which I myself can not.
:nocomment:

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
But its not my fault! I'm just stuck in the middle and trying to do what I can with what I have.

My mother feels confident enough that she'll get her money back, I told her everything already and if thats how she wants to handle things, what am I to do about it? I cant put a gun to her head and force her to keep him or pay for his medical expenses. Nor can I do that to the breeder.
Your mother will not get a refund on a dead bird...something to consider.

Bridgette

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridgette
If you take this bird to the vet and they determine the breeder was negligent, you may be able to recover the vet expenses should it go to court.

And I understand that you aren't in the position to control the money and the vehicle, but you are the one on here posting. If this is your mom's bird, she should be on here asking questions and getting the slack for not caring for the bird. If the bird was purchased for you, then you should be exploring any and all avenues to get this taken care of.

monaaa

Meeting neighbors
Due to the fact that I feel like the responses are becoming more negative than helpful I will be leaving this forum, Thanks for the help and offers but my time here is over.

Goodbye and Goodluck to everyone else.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Please do not leave the forum:hug8:There are SO many of Us here that want what is best for You,Your Mom and the Baby! IF You want to talk with some of Us in private-You can PM Us.I know that I and several others would be more then Happy to try and help You through this-even if its only for a :hug8:or 2:hug8:If You DO decide to leave-would You PLEASE PM Me and let Me know the out come of all of this.We Really do Care:hug8:

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Monaaa, please don't leave the forum just because the heat has been turned up. Everyone here wants the best for your bird and having birds they know the importance of an avian exam. If it we me I would keep the bird, the problem with the toes can be resolved. Like I said before, I have birds missing toes, they don't even know it. Missing toes are only visual and don't take anything away from how the bird acts. Sure there will be an expense to help the toes but in the long run you will be rewarded with a beautiful bird.

You are going to need help along this journey.......

Gary

Kathie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
I also come begging you not to leave or, as Bonnie suggested, please stay in touch with us via PM or email. I will worry now. If you get this message, please either email me or call me to keep me posted on this little one. I totally understand your predicament. We can get around this and make things work. Take 10 deep breaths and realize we are all worried and concerned for this little one. I feel so much better as you are doing a great job with hand feeding and we discussed via PM the environmental temperature setting. Too hot will severely dehydrate him. We are here to help - please know that.

Bridgette

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridgette
I agree. Please don't leave. Perhaps you can call a local vet and they can discount their services. Or maybe they can set up some sort of "fund" where people could call them and donate towards the bill. I would be willing to chip in to help pay his expenses.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I agree. Please don't leave. Perhaps you can call a local vet and they can discount their services. Or maybe they can set up some sort of "fund" where people could call them and donate towards the bill. I would be willing to chip in to help pay his expenses.
That's a fantastic idea! I too would be willing to donate to a fund that went directly to the vet for care of this bird.

Status
Not open for further replies.