• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

monaaa

Meeting neighbors
Okay, I purchased a unweaned Catalina Macaw from a breeder. I got a really good price but I just feel like something is off about the bird. I don't know if I feel this way because of the bargain or if theres really something wrong. I'm planning to take it to the Vet early this week but I just wanted some advice from you guys first. I've been lurking for a little while but I signed up just to post this.

He seems very attentive, looks around, "honks" when I'm near and handfeeding is a breeze....but supposedly he's "4-6 weeks" and has just a few pin feathers, two of his toes also look kind of swollen to me compared to other birds ( of his age ). I'm wondering if hes just a slow grower / younger than described or if hes in need of medical care? :huh:

I feel like theres something a little off about the breeder too, now that he's gotten here. The picture he sent me is not the bird I received, that bird looks a little older and you could see his definite Catalina colored feathers growing in. He also kind of "handed the bird over" with not too many questions for me which at the time I thought was because I was so excited and kind of a pain in the butt and he wanted to get rid of me, but now it seems a little suspect. He still hasn't given me the exact hatch date either which he said he would "send everything over via email" but hasn't yet .

He came in yesterday and I'm attached already! :( So of course I'm worried about him. If you guys have any advice at all for me about the little guy I would appreciate it, and if you need pictures of him just ask.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Can you post pictures? And if possible pics of the brooded set up you have.

How are you keeping the baby? How warm? How much food and at what temp are you feeding the baby? What's the consistency?

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Where are you located Mona? Do you have a picture you can share, so Macaw people can tell you if they see anything off.
Welcome and good luck with the baby.

Last edited:

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to the forum,I have nothing to offer but Im sure others that can help you will be along soon.

ashbirdlady

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Christa
OH that is a difficult thing. Well just take good care of him and note to self about the breeder etc. Maybe eventually call them and let them know that you did see the switch they made.
Christa

monaaa

Meeting neighbors
I'm keeping the baby in a small fish tank, the inside of the fish tank is about 81 degrees as I was told 79-85 was fine for a bird of his age. I have a heating pad but I'm afraid if I put it on the side it'll bring the temp. up too high and it`ll cook the little guy. He doesn't seem cold and sleeps contently against the wall even though I had a stuffed animal and paper towel wall on the side he was sleeping on more frequently. He used the bathroom on said stuffed animal so its being washed at the moment. The food is between 103-108 so far, the last feeding being 104.5. The consistency is almost like applesauce which I was also told was optimal. The breeder told me to feed him 45CC's.

I'm in New York TMS.

This is yesterday when he FIRST got here before being fed. I put him in with newspaper until my father could pick up a roll of paper towels from the store across the street. Is it just me or does he still have his little egg tooth?

This is his brooder sans stuffed animal. You can kinda see his little feet.

Best shots I could get of his feet.

I'll do what ever deemed necessary to take good care of him and get him healthy if theres anything abnormal. I just hope theres no perching issues for the little guys sake ::(

Last edited:

Mythreeiggys

Hit the Road
Real Name
Danielle
The temp needs to raised. Do you have a heat lamp? He should be at about 92-95 degrees. Do you have a top to your fish tank? If so, put the heat lamp on one side and allow the baby to move to the lamp as needed. Watch for signs of panting and also shivering.

Sound like you are making the formula right but I would recommend feeding until he is full and watch his crop and feed him when he's hungry. I never watch the clock or go by a certain CC.

I also would take him the an avian vet asap. IMO, his toe doesn't look normal.

monaaa

Meeting neighbors
I'm going to go put the heat pad on one side for him right now, I have the actual lamp for the heat lamp but no bulb, I used it to view my snakes when I had them. He hasn't been shivering though. The top was right behind the tank actually but I took it off for picture purposes.

What do I do now regarding the breeder? ( If the toe is in fact abnormal ) The bird is from out of state. I'm going to make the Vet appointment today or tomorrow if they're closed now. I'm not sure as the Avian vet is no longer my regular vet.

Mythreeiggys

Hit the Road
Real Name
Danielle
As far as the breeder, he/she will probably do nothing about it. Most breeders who sell unweaned babies sell them without a health guarantee. I would still talk to him/her and she was they have to say.

He should really be at above 90 degrees. He has nothing protecting him (feathers) to keep him warm. A heat lamp is best because he can move to or away as need be.

monaaa

Meeting neighbors
How old do you think he is?
I just spoke to the breeder. Apparently the first bird was "dropped and snapped his neck and died" I sent him the pictures of the feet and hes going to call me back. He "didn't realize anything was wrong with the bird when he shipped it". I'll get the heat bulb asap but until I can I'll just put the heat pad halfway. The red heat bulbs for lizards are fine?

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
The toe is indeed swollen possibly something caught around it. Definitely take him to the avian vets

How often are you feeding him, also if you use a heat lamp, that will suck the humidity out of the air, you should put a wet/damp paper towel over the side of the tank where the heat lamp is and keep that paper towel moist for humidity.

He really needs 90 degree heat. Babies this age don't shiver they can't keep their body temperatures up until they get feathers. Once he starts getting down and feathers you can slowly lower the temp but right now the temp is too low.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I don't have much to offer but want to say that the toe also looks odd to me, perhaps constricted toe? It can be fixed but you have to get him to a vet. It's always a great idea to have any new bird vet checked when they come to you, regardless of age but especially with a baby. Good luck and keep us posted.

TextsFromParrots

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kristen
O o Was dropped and snapped his neck? that's just horrifying. It sounds extremely shady to me. How did you locate the breeder? Through their website? Another website?

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
How old do you think he is?
I just spoke to the breeder. Apparently the first bird was "dropped and snapped his neck and died" I sent him the pictures of the feet and hes going to call me back. He "didn't realize anything was wrong with the bird when he shipped it". I'll get the heat bulb asap but until I can I'll just put the heat pad halfway. The red heat bulbs for lizards are fine?
I prefer heating pads over lamps. Reptile heat lamps are not good bird birds, it can blind them.

Use the heating pad but you need to be able to measure the heat that he is on. Thermostat is really needed.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I would say the baby is between 3-4 weeks. Maybe closer to 4 weeks.

monaaa

Meeting neighbors
I spoke to him again he said he doesn't think the foot is restricted and would like closer pics. I took some and I figured I'd share them with y'all. He said he would replace the bird but "if I took it to the vet it would be on me". I don't want to treat the bird like a piece of clothing that didn't fit though.... He said that bird is "exactly 4 weeks old" and asked me "if I dont like the bird at all" I told him it wasn't that I didn't like him but I wasn't expecting to be sold a bird with a defect. :mad: :(

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Is that a string around that one toe? Or is it scar tissue? It looks like it either had a string there or there is a string on that right big toe.

Did you buy the baby from a guy in Tampa? Just curious, no need to say his name, but I'm just curious if its the same guy were all familiar with.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Wow! Any breeder who isn't willing to give you a refund or trade for a bird that goes to the vet and comes back with problems is just...wow! I don't even know what to say! After looking at those pictures, I think the bigger toes on both feet look like constricted toe....

monaaa

Meeting neighbors
I'm sorry I missed the new posts completely. The breeder told me he's on three feedings so one in the morning, one mid-day and one before he goes to bed.

I have a thermometer in the tank to monitor the heat so thats not a problem. I'll make sure it gets up to 90. I was going to take him to the vet this week regardless, but now it seems much more urgent. I found him through an online classified ads site.

Its not a string, so I guess it would be scar tissue. He IS from Florida but not from Tampa, Port St Lucie.

monaaa

Meeting neighbors
No he IS willing to trade the bird, but he told me if I take it to the Vet thats on me but he`ll find another bird. I thought it looked like a constricted toe too but being that I'm not a vet I didnt want to throw it out there like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.