• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help!

angied737

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Angela
I am a very experienced bird person, going on 30 years now, so when my husband came home with a Rosella today, my heart dropped. I know the truth about them.

The first step was a temporary wing clipping. I had to use welders gloves because he is so vicious (and I already knew this going into it.)

My question is, what do I do now? The Arizona heat is coming and my other birds will be returning to their cages (they are Bourkes and Turquoisines) so a long-term outdoor aviary will not work for the Rosella here. I'm not going to put the little free time I have into attempting to tame a bird that can't be tamed.

Should I just rehome him? I hate this situation and I've been crying all night about this.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
What is the "truth" about Rosellas?

I'm afraid I don't understand the situation to comment on it.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I also don’t understand your issue other than you now have a clipped bird.

angied737

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Angela
Unfortunately, Rosellas cannot be tamed easily or at all. There may be some exceptions to that, but the rule generally stays the same. I have one right now that is pretty much feral and in the climate I live in, he cannot be in an aviary year-round but he also cannot live in this house since he is attacking children. He was clipped because he was flying into walls and attacking CHILDREN.

Since this site does not have any actual Rosella experts on here that can help in this emergency situation, I am leaving and any further replies will not be seen.

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yeah hard to comment on the situation when we're not given all of the details. Most of the forum was also asleep since it was posted between midnight and 2:30am EST.

Maybe see if having the second rosella helps distract the one you have already. But if you're not interested in having either, sounds like rehoming might be the best option for both of them.

Birds don't need to be tame to enjoy them in my experience, but safety of children is definitely a consideration.

Good luck if you ever read this!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome and enjoy the site!