• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help

Rocco1997

Checking out the neighborhood
Wondering if anyone can help me. My amazing little conure passed away very suddenly on Sunday and I have so many unanswered questions that I’m hoping someone here might be able to answer for me.

about 2 days before he passed, he wasn’t himself, he was very quiet (which was unusual for him!) he was eating slightly and drinking more than enough, the day before he passed he was in his little hut in his cage and wouldn’t turn to look at me when I opened his cage door, he was very lethargic, wanted to sleep all the time, had poop all over his tail even though he was a very clean bird, feathers were puffed up and his wings were drooped down, I knew immediately something was wrong.

unfortunately where I live avian vets aren’t a thing, every local vet I tried would not look at him as he is classed as an exotic animal, except for one vet who did look at him but knew basically nothing about birds, she gave me some pain relief (which I found odd as he didn’t seem to be in any pain) and I was told to give him 0.02ml of the pain relief twice a day. When we got home I gave him the pain relief, he drank a lot of water and went straight back to his hut, about 1/2 hours later I noticed in his pee/poop (mostly pee as he still had barely eaten) there was fresh red blood, I panicked but was told that because he was seemed to be straining (almost like he was constipated) when he was going to the toilet the blood could be from that.

the blood in his pee/poop continued though the evening, he was still very lethargic and quiet but was still drinking loads and had eaten a very small amount, he had no desire to eat the whole day. On Sunday morning he came out of his hut and fell off his perch, I lifted him immediately and he couldn’t even perch on my finger, about half an hour later he spread his wings down over my hand for a few seconds then I noticed his breathing had changed drastically, he let out a squawk, started to shake and flap violently then suddenly he was gone. He was only 5 years old.

I got my special boy cremated so I can have him with me always, I would be grateful if anyone could shed some light on what they think could of been wrong with him, my first thought was an infection of some kind, but I honestly have no idea he was the only bird I had so it couldn’t of been something contagious.

apologies for the long post, hoping someone can help

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I am very sorry for your loss. Without a necropsy being done, we would just be guessing as to what happened. Birds can get sick just like people do- from something bacterial, to genetic to environmental. I know it's hard when you don't have answers. I wish could give you one.

VanSwss

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sara
I'm sorry for your loss.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm so very sorry for your loss.

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
:sadhug2:

I'm sorry for the loss of your little one. Unfortunately the only way to really tell is by a necropsy by a vet. There are so, so many things that can get a bird sick to the point of death that it's really beyond speculation.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
:sorrow:
Sorry for your loss.

I know heavy metal toxicity can cause blood in stool. ( There as mentioned many health issues that might cause , I'm certainty not s vet) birds are very sensitive to zinc, galvanized metal, lead, . They can get from homemade cages when , jewelry, chewing on walls psint dry walk ECT if contain lead, curtain weights, those are some of the big sources .