• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help!

raya_01

Moving in
Real Name
Raisa
Hi there. I'm a newbie here and I need yall's help! (Also sorry for any confusions/mistakes, English is not my native language).

So 3-4 months ago I bought 2 lovebirds (from a pet shop), they didn't know their gender and I didn't take any DNA tests because I don't know if I can really afford that ( I am a broke art student lol).
Anyways, they got along quite well and I think they bonded. 2 months ago one of them started picking on paper and branches and gathering them in its wings. Later, the other one started doing this too but wasn't as successful. And then we saw them "mating". We noticed that the blue one was on top every time and the green one were more and more invested in nesting materials. So we thought the blue one is a boy and the green one is a girl.
Until now, they still haven't had any eggs. But today, as they were "mating" again (or trying to idk) they switched it up!!! So during like half an hour they would try to mate and switch it up, they would get on each other's backs back and forth.
So now I am really confused. Are they both males? But they put nesting materials in their wings. Are they females? But would they get on each other's backs if they were? Or are they actually a heterosexual pair? Because in that case I should be careful especially if I want to care for eggs and newborns and etc. I have only had budgies, but they never mated/laid eggs so idk what to do. I tried to put a cardboard box to see if they want to build a nest there but they chewed on it until they destroyed it completely lol.
I will look up how much does it cost to do a DNA test though, but if yall are bored and wanna share your opinions I will gladly read them all. Thank you!
Here are the babies!

1671011084665.png

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hello Raisa :)

Are they both males? But they put nesting materials in their wings. Are they females?
Both males and females will shred nesting material and tuck it under their feathers.

they would get on each other's backs back and forth.
Could be same sex, though I couldn´t tell you which.

Easiest way to clarify is a DNA test, a home testing kit is usually cheaper than going via the vet but you would have to pull a couple of feathers yourself.

I should be careful especially if I want to care for eggs and newborns and etc. I have only had budgies, but they never mated/laid eggs so idk what to do.
If you don´t know how to care for mating birds and chicks, it´s best to just not do it. I switch my pairs eggs out for dummy eggs. If you can´t get a hold of a set of dummy eggs, you can boil the eggs laid and return where you found them once cooled down.

raya_01

Moving in
Real Name
Raisa
They are not really tame yet so I don't want to stress them too much by going to the vet.
I didn't know there are home kits! Thanks for the info! Do the feathers have to be pulled? Fallen feathers wouldn't work?

raya_01

Moving in
Real Name
Raisa
If you can´t get a hold of a set of dummy eggs, you can boil the eggs laid and return where you found them once cooled down.
Yeah that's why I want to know if I should be ready to wake up with eggs one day

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Do the feathers have to be pulled? Fallen feathers wouldn't work?
Correct. Fallen feathers don´t have any blood in the quill.

This is a popular online (home test) service used in Europe if it helps;

Yeah that's why I want to know if I should be ready to wake up with eggs one day
Given you don´t know the sex of your birds, it is possible.

raya_01

Moving in
Real Name
Raisa
Correct. Fallen feathers don´t have any blood in the quill.

This is a popular online (home test) service used in Europe if it helps;
Thanks for the info! I will keep an eye on them. As long as their are happy and healthy I don't really care for their gender, but it might help to tame them I think

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
but it might help to tame them I think
If that´s what you want to do, then it´s best to reduce as much influence for nesting behaviour. So be sure to have no nests, boxes, nooks, or small spaces. Rearrange the cage set up frequently. etc Hormonal birds are a nightmare to tame as they have only one thing on the brain - nesting. And even more difficult when you have two birds.

Invest in some millet spray to help you interact with them better ;)

raya_01

Moving in
Real Name
Raisa
Hormonal birds are a nightmare to tame as they have only one thing on the brain - nesting. And even more difficult when you have two birds.
Exactly! Most of the time they seem happy, they are chirping, playing, flying, chewing on sume stuff etc, but there are days when they get aggressive and veeeery loud. They start chasing each other in the cage and scream and it's a disaster.
I did notice that changing the entourage helps though.

raya_01

Moving in
Real Name
Raisa
Invest in some millet spray to help you interact with them
My budgies started eating millet from my hands about 6 months in. The lovies just recently got comfortable walking on the desk and on the floor. Still not eating millet from me, but I'm trying everyday. I am not giving up