• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Help

Branch

Meeting neighbors
My bird got stuck in the aviator harness head loop while training. I managed to cut the body of the harness but he's still got the head part stuck on him. Right now, he's not panicking, he's grooming himself, but what can I do to get him out without getting him hurt. I don't think a vet is an option here as I don't want him to have more stress.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Branch

Meeting neighbors
I can wrap him in a towel he's too panicked. Do you have any other way>

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
If you dont have another person to help toweling him is the best way to control him so you can get the harness off him ..I know that he is stressed but really this is the only way I have found ..best of luck :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I mean you have to be able to get ahold of him regardless. The towel method is the the easiest, safest way that anyone can hold a bird short of taking him to the vet and having him put under anesthesia.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Is this situation rectified now?

How did he get “stuck”?

Branch

Meeting neighbors
Ok, I finally got him out. I was training him with the harness. I tried pulling the neck loop forward so it would get off him, but he pulled it back, so then I lost grip of it. I managed to cut the body up, but he was stuck with the neck loop, biting anyone near him. But my sister and I managed to grab him and cut him out. Thank you, guys.