• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help!!

Adiva

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Adiva
So this is neither a canary or a finch , I found a house sparrow by the side of the road , it seems like she has broken her wing and she can't fly , she's very active other than that , I took her in since she was very vulnerable where she was (there's cats and dogs in the neighborhood) she is very scared but has started eating from what I can tell , how should I go about this?
P.S.We have no avian vets in the area , and the regular one's ain't on due to the pandemic . Also , there's no rescues around

Attachments

BirdG1rl

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Mara M.M
The first thing I would do (I have experience with hurt birbs btw ;)) is get a largish shoebox. Line it with some tissue paper and some towelling. Next, you want to offer some clean, cool water in a small dish. The food you can offer is some commercial birdseed and maybe later some blended veggies. For now, leave her in a dark, warm room so she can settle down and relax.

BirdG1rl

Real Name
Mara M.M
After you've done all this, we can address her wing. Good luck! :)

BirdG1rl

Real Name
Mara M.M
Maybe you could send me some more photos of the injury so I could kind of determine how bad it is? Please bear in mind that I'm not an avian vet, so I can't provide you with professional info. Hopefully, it's of a little help though! :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
What area are you in? (roughly) Maybe we can help search the internet and look for help.

@iamwhoiam @Birdbabe

Adiva

Real Name
Adiva
Maybe you could send me some more photos of the injury so I could kind of determine how bad it is? Please bear in mind that I'm not an avian vet, so I can't provide you with professional info. Hopefully, it's of a little help though! :)
Hey! Thanks for the help .She doesn't seem to have any visible injuries , I did examine the underside of her wing , but it seems completely okay , she's also able to move it a little seemingly , but she's incapable of flying and has this wing drooping . I'll click more pictures in a while , I just don't want it to be in more distress.

Attachments

BirdG1rl

Real Name
Mara M.M
I think you need to set the wing if you want it to repair itself properly. You really need an avian veterinarian or at least a wildlife rehabber to do this. I think there are some DIY ways to do it (I've done it on a dove in my area and she flew off after a couple of months). Once you've done some research on professionals in your area, and if you can't find any, maybe I can help you? @Adiva

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Could you call some of the regular vets? Ask them to direct you to someone who can help. Usually the cat/dog vets might know of a contact you can call.
Maybe a wildlife sanctuary? Again, they might not be able to help you, but could possibly point you in the right direction.
A wildlife training centre, a university, research centre, zoo, farms, any of these places.

Adiva

Real Name
Adiva
I think you need to set the wing if you want it to repair itself properly. You really need an avian veterinarian or at least a wildlife rehabber to do this. I think there are some DIY ways to do it (I've done it on a dove in my area and she flew off after a couple of months). Once you've done some research on professionals in your area, and if you can't find any, maybe I can help you? @Adiva
Hey I did look through , didn't have much of an option , reached out to a breeder , helped me with the DIY thing , the baby has been getting a lot better lately , I'm planning on letting it back out once it's able to fly properly , thanks a ton for all your help.

Adiva

Real Name
Adiva
Could you call some of the regular vets? Ask them to direct you to someone who can help. Usually the cat/dog vets might know of a contact you can call.
Maybe a wildlife sanctuary? Again, they might not be able to help you, but could possibly point you in the right direction.
A wildlife training centre, a university, research centre, zoo, farms, any of these places.
Thanks for the concern , as mentioned there was barely any way for me to access any of it , I was though , able to reach out to a breeder and the baby has only been getting better since .

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Hey I did look through , didn't have much of an option , reached out to a breeder , helped me with the DIY thing , the baby has been getting a lot better lately , I'm planning on letting it back out once it's able to fly properly , thanks a ton for all your help.
Please be aware that this bird may never be able to fly well enough to survive on its own again. Quite often when rescuing wild birds we don’t get the end result we hoped for and release can often be a death sentence. Please make sure you have an experienced person help you assess the birds flight skills and stamina before release to give it the best chance at survival. Often broken wings don’t set well or correct enough for survival in the wild.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This bird may not be releasable due to the wing issue or he/she may imprint on you. Be aware of this before deciding to release.
House sparrows can easily become acclimated to living indoors and you may find that you enjoy the little one's company and vice versa.
How is he/she doing?

This website has info about sparrows:

BirdG1rl

Real Name
Mara M.M
How's the baby doing? :)

Adiva

Real Name
Adiva
Hey
This bird may not be releasable due to the wing issue or he/she may imprint on you. Be aware of this before deciding to release.
House sparrows can easily become acclimated to living indoors and you may find that you enjoy the little one's company and vice versa.
How is he/she doing?

This website has info about sparrows:
Hey! This baby is doing fairly well and I think it'll make a full recovery , in case that doesn't happen, I've already been raising two cockatiels, and a couple of budgies alongside , so having to raise her wouldn't be a problem just in case

BirdG1rl

Real Name
Mara M.M
It's great to hear that the fid is doing fine! Hope she continues to make a speedy recovery!