• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help !

Bowsey

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Marina
My parrotlet is eating my windows !! He perched on my windows and I noticed yesterday that he’s chewing the wood . He’s really doing damage. He is fully flightier and is rarely in his cage. He’s the best little guy , he talks a ton and picking up new words and phrases every day ! But this is a problem. He loves to be on the window. He has a window perch and he will sometimes go onto that be he always gets onto the windo itself and chews the windows. You know where they come together ! Has anyone had this issue and figured out how to fix it ? Any help would be appreciated. He’s like a termite LOL !! Also he’s 8 month's old.
Thanks everyone !!

NorthernGannet

Sprinting down the street
Sounds like you'll have to protect it with something hard. Not sure exactly what your windows and sills are like, but they do have plastic edge protector things, like you'd put along a corner edge of a wall. I'm not sure what they're technically called, they come in longer strips. But you could run that either along the front edge if your sill is about 90 degrees, or turn it upside down and attach it "upside down" where the window and sill meet. Just an idea, if that kind of thing would work in your setup.

-NG

Reactions: Ali

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
:laugh: Yep, just a few thousand of us!

Some replace the trim with plain old wood, then if they have to move they still have the undamaged trim.
Then there's the ones like me that just leave our homes 'remodeled', until it's so bad we can't look at it anymore.
You should see my door frames from a naughty Goffin!

Bowsey

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Marina
Sounds like you'll have to protect it with something hard. Not sure exactly what your windows and sills are like, but they do have plastic edge protector things, like you'd put along a corner edge of a wall. I'm not sure what they're technically called, they come in longer strips. But you could run that either along the front edge if your sill is about 90 degrees, or turn it upside down and attach it "upside down" where the window and sill meet. Just an idea, if that kind of thing would work in your setup.

-NG
Thanks so much great tip !! I can’t believe the damage he can do with such a little beak! I will get that for sure ! Thanks again !!

Bowsey

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Marina
:laugh: Yep, just a few thousand of us!

Some replace the trim with plain old wood, then if they have to move they still have the undamaged trim.
Then there's the ones like me that just leave our homes 'remodeled', until it's so bad we can't look at it anymore.
You should see my door frames from a naughty Goffin!
Omgosh I can’t imagine the damage the BIG parrots can do. He’s so little and does this much ! the wood is a great tip thanks !

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
@Bowsey

This is what I do for my parrotlets. I place a stick on the sill. They seem to prefer to chew the stick.

IMG_5279.JPG

Bowsey

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Marina
@Bowsey

This is what I do for my parrotlets. I place a stick on the sill. They seem to prefer to chew the stick.

View attachment 344628
That’s a GREAT idea !!!!! Your little one looks like mine. Adorable pic !! Thank you for letting me know what works for you ! I’ll try that ! . While I have you. How long does it take for your parrotlet to molt. Mine has been since March. There seems to be no end in sight. Is that normal ?

Bowsey

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Marina
Thank you everyone !!! So nice to have a place to come when you have a question. So many great idea’s !! I’m appreciate the help ❤

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
How long does it take for your parrotlet to molt. Mine has been since March. There seems to be no end in sight. Is that normal ?
I am so sorry I missed this question earlier. :(

Parrotlet molts will last for several weeks 8-12 weeks seems typical for my two. I can't say that all must be the same. The wing molt will be the most obvious and it will probably be done in 4 weeks. They seem to drop a primary feather at a rate of 1 every 2-4 days. I do not have a scientific reference in regards to this. This is only what I have observed in my parrotlets.

Body and head feathers will have some turn over all year. The major molt will include the wings and tail. I hope this helps!

Barbara2

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barb
How about having a piece of plexaglass cute to fit over it so the little fellow cannot get to it and pit some little toys up there for him to chew on.
Cute little guys, aren’t they? Love them