• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

HELP!!

fig&storm

Moving in
Real Name
Stormy
I have a budgie named Fig shes about 6 weeks old, im not sure if shes molting or if she has mites, im scared bc shes so little, shes singing and climbing and playing still, she just preens alot and im not if shes got mites or is molting, she has what look like pin feathers but idk if they could be mites HELP!!

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Molting and preening are a constant for birds. While there are times when they go through a big molt and drop a lot of feathers, downy feathers in particular are replaced throughout the year. Preening is as necessary and as natural as a cat licking themselves. If they don't take care of their feathers, they can't keep warm, fly, etc.

KiwiandLemony

Walking the driveway
I am not an expert on the topic and I can’t tell from he photos you sent but, mites should be visible on the feathers, if she is moulting she should be losing feathers, check the tray or bottom of her cage for them if you see little dots (usually cream coulored) moving around on the sides of the shaft of the feather you most likely have mites. The 1st picture is a feather with mites and the bottom is a Budgie with pin feathers. I hope this helps and good luck!

Attachments

fig&storm

Moving in
Real Name
Stormy
Molting and preening are a constant for birds. While there are times when they go through a big molt and drop a lot of feathers, downy feathers in particular are replaced throughout the year. Preening is as necessary and as natural as a cat licking themselves. If they don't take care of their feathers, they can't keep warm, fly, etc.
I am not an expert on the topic and I can’t tell from he photos you sent but, mites should be visible on the feathers, if she is moulting she should be losing feathers, check the tray or bottom of her cage for them if you see little dots (usually cream coulored) moving around on the sides of the shaft of the feather you most likely have mites. The 1st picture is a feather with mites and the bottom is a Budgie with pin feathers. I hope this helps and good luck!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Stormy :)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I see a few pinnies in your photos. The budgies i had seemed to molt feathers frequently. Make sure to spritz them often or offer bathing water.

Yoshi&Raphi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
Fig is absolutely stunning! Welcome to AA!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
He is a cutie! I know that in the USA, mites are not common in budgies and they are rarely treated for them. I believe the same goes for Canada and maybe the UK? Australia may be more common of an area to treat for mites, but that could vary on if the birds are indoors or outdoors, too. Might be more common in some other countries, too?

If you are truly concerned, it's best to seek the advice of an avian vet. :)