• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help with training

Allysanne Lord

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Allysanne
Hello everyone, I'm looking for someone who might be able to help me do some basic training and bonding with my parrot. A little background about Sunrise and I: I took Sunrise in about a year ago, and before that I had worked with him for about 6 months. I was able to gain his trust just by spending time with him, I was able to actually touch him which was something that he never liked, and I was also able to teach him to step up. Since having him I will admit I have slacked on training but we do spend alot of time together, he's 31 and I believe a true Amazon. He's a little grumpy and a one person kind of bird, I'm just looking for someone to give me tips about training older birds. Thank you for your time! Please shoot me a message if you'd like to help

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Ahhhhh

The old Amazon CAN learn new tricks. Secret is awesome at it.

What's the bird's favourite treat in the whole wide world?

malibu

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maddie
I would start with finding whatever reward they like the best whether its a nut, seed or some animals even respond to affection like scritches. Then I would introduce a marker such as a clicker or just the word yes. Then essentially you can go to town with whatever tricks or behaviours you want to teach!
I would check out flocktalk on youtube she has really great tutorials.
For introducing the marker I would click or say yes (or whatever marker you decide) then immediately reward. This is especially useful in trick training so you can instantly let the bird know when theyve done something correctly.
And make sure you move at the birds pace, sometimes you have to stay at one step until the bird figures it out :)

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
That's great that you taught Sunrise to step up and accept being touched. Remember with every interaction, you are training him. To gain his trust just keep pairing yourself with wonderful experiences for him. What else do you want to teach him to do?

Allysanne Lord

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Allysanne
That's great that you taught Sunrise to step up and accept being touched. Remember with every interaction, you are training him. To gain his trust just keep pairing yourself with wonderful experiences for him. What else do you want to teach him to do?
I was just hoping to be able to teach him to be more comfortable with hands around his feet, he has been attacked by 2 birds on seperate occasions and gotten 2 toes bitten off. I'd like to teach him to be comfortable enough to step up onto my hand while he's on his cage :)