• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help with taming

Birb_boy

Checking out the neighborhood
My father got a pair of peach faced lovebirds a few months back. He got them on a whim because he wanted to surprise my mother with a gift. Unfortunately, neither of them knew how to properly care for birds at that moment, and neither did I. Heck, we even thought they were conures for the longest time; that's how clueless we all were at the time. It's not until recently that I got into doing research because I was worried about one of our lovebirds losing feathers. Since then, I've made sure to give them proper care. Even with all the progress I've made, I'm having trouble with trying to tame both of them. Their cage is pretty big so I can't really lure them out with millet to gain their trust because they'll just fly away to the corner of the cage where I can't reach them.
I want our poor birds to trust me, but I have no idea what to do at this point.

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
Keep on bribing them with the millet. The easiest way to a bird's heart is through their stomachs.

Even if they're flying away now, there is a chance that they may start associating you with millet. Or they may not. All you can do is be near them, be calm and let them chose.

Some of the birds in this video took months to get this comfortable with me, some took minutes. I can't approach quite a few with my hands yet, and that's okay! Hands are scary to birds! It can take a lot to earn their trust.