• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help with squashing babies

Mybirdjoey

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mervyn
Hi all I recently acquired 2 pineapples conures from 2 different sources and paired them together ,they had 4 eggs and the first two out only lasted few hours looks to be flattened ,both birds are over 2 years the cock reared chicks with another hen before but I am not sure about the hen as it was bought from a big aviary so may or may not of bred before . . Both birds are still in sitting any suggestions/tips how I can prevent or help stop them squashing the chicks .
Nest box size is sufficient enough It's cockatiel nest box . Many thanks

20210809_152619.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Do the parents ever squabble? Sometimes while fighting chicks can be harmed. Also, had you tried checking the box while one or both parent(s) were in the box? While they were agitated they could have harmed the babies. Some birds are just not good at parenting and have to have the chicks pulled. Some pairs even crush their eggs so the eggs have to be pulled and incubated artificially.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Some birds will squash chicks that have died in the nest (killed by parents, not fed or other reason) and then bury them under the bedding. It is the usual answer to the ¨Where did the chick go?¨ question. Be sure to check in and see that the little ones are being fed and tended to, if not, remove for hand rearing.
But try not to go into the nest often to avoid stressing the parents.
@melissasparrots @finchly

I have added a blue button to give readers the option to view the photo or not.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
THANK YOU @Zara for the blue button!

I don't have this type of bird but I have had a lot of squashed chicks...my feeling is that most of the time they died first then got squashed. Like no respect for a dead body.

I would just give them another chance, and see what they do. Maybe put a camera in the box.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
my feeling is that most of the time they died first then got squashed. Like no respect for a dead body.
I once read that it was to dehydrate the chicks body to keep the nest clean and bug free for the rest of the chicks. And yes, usually they die first then get squashed (if not tossed out).

Maybe put a camera in the box.
That´s a great idea. Then the parents feeding the chicks can be monitored without having their nest invaded each time.