• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help with sibling rivalry

Browniew55

Moving in
Real Name
Wendy brown
We have two IRN’s 14 week old siblings which we have hand reared since 1 week, we havn’t had them sexed as we decided to keep them both whatever sex they were. The past month they have been aggressive towards each other over toys, food (of which they have plenty) and who sits where on our shoulders. They are truly like I remember our children being. But once they have had their little altercation with each other they become angry and take it out on us, their eyes pin and they bite us, they even fly over to either my hubby or myself just to bite when we are just sitting still. As we are retired they have our attention all day, they havn’t bonded with any particular one of us as they spend equal time with both of us, they have lots of toys and a big cage which they only go in to sleep or if we go out. People have told us that one on their own would be better but that is not an option as we couldn’t part with either of them.
i have to say that having pet parrots was never part of our plans because we travel in our caravan, but we reared these two as a favour for our daughter as she is at work all day, then they were to be sold, the fact that we might fall in love with them never occured to us. Now we have them we would like to get them used to travelling with us. I have been babbling on and I have forgotten my initial question..... ok any ideas how to stop their constant bickering and save our poor old skin. Many thanks in advance

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
When siblings grow up they leave the nest. Most likely never see each other again once adults. Your situation is not following the natural order of things. They may never get along. And there’s the risk of injury as time goes on.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Maybe separate cages at night? That way each has his/her own 'territory'. Perhaps then they will be a bit less competitive and angry when sharing out-of-cage time.

Browniew55

Moving in
Real Name
Wendy brown
When siblings grow up they leave the nest. Most likely never see each other again once adults. Your situation is not following the natural order of things. They may never get along. And there’s the risk of injury as time goes on.
Thank you, I understand what you mean, didn’t think of the situation from that point of view.

Browniew55

Moving in
Real Name
Wendy brown
Maybe separate cages at night? That way each has his/her own 'territory'. Perhaps then they will be a bit less competitive and angry when sharing out-of-cage time.
thank you for your advice, They just had a new cage maybe I should have got seperate ones.