• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help with sexing?

Tiffany A

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Tiffany A
Hello! My names Tiff I posted a few years back hoping to get some clues as to what the sex of my sweet cockatiel is. However, at the time I realized how young Noel was so I’m posting some updates pictures! Originally I believed Noel was a female however I believe Noel is in deed a boy. Just wanted to get others opinions on this! Noels very sassy but also talkative. Noel is now 2 years old any comments are welcome thank you! :D

Attachments

Khizz

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
And what a handsome, sassy boy he is! I'm not the best with sexing but I would think he's a boy.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm no expert at all, but I've been studying up on cockatiels because I'm hoping to add one to my flock some day in the next year. I think females have more grey on their heads, while the males of this type look like your Noel. Beautiful, beautiful bird!!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Looks like you have a very handsome boy on your hands!

Veritgo01

Strolling the yard
With those bright colors, you definitely have a boy.

TTMango

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tina T
It’s a Boy.
Same thing happened to me. I thought for sure my cockatiel was a Girl. At 4.5 months old it started saying Peekaboo. I decided to do a DNA test on it and result came back Male.

Ember-Tiel

Jogging around the block
Definitely a male, females don't usually have that much yellow on their heads.

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
It is a boy due to his coloration and normal grey looks. He actually looks like a pearl split to pied , males lose their pearls after awhile (usually 1-3 years) , then they look like normal greys, and keep a yellow face like the normal grey males. Female pearls would keep the pearls. (So that explains it’s a male). Do you have any photos of him as a young tiel before his first molt, or remember if he had lots of pearl patterns before?

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Definitely a male, females don't usually have that much yellow on their heads.
In the normal grey colorations, this is correct. (Or pearl males losing their pearls then turning into normal grey looks). Normal grey females have grey faces. In the pearl and pied/lutino mutations, However, females can then have yellow faces. You will know if your bird is pearl from the pearl /speckled patterns on their wings /sometimes back and chest, a lutino is an all yellow bird, and a pied is a bird with yellow patches (or white) on random parts of the body, face can be included . :) The bird in question is most Likely a pearl who lost his pearls, then his face got brighter and his wings lost their white patterns, thus he would have to be male, as female pearls keep their pearl pattern forever .

Last edited: