• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help With Sexing !?

Furtornado

Moving in
Hello,
This is my first cockatiel. I don't know how old it is but i think it's around 6 - 9 months old.

I couldn't identify what sex it is so I came here to seek help. Thx in advance.

In this video you will see its wings and hear the voice.
If you need additional images or any other info please tell me

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hi welcome to the forum,

Maybe you could find some natural perches to replace the dowels? (the swing is fine) And see if someone has a bigger cage for this bird.
It is a good idea to provide some toys too. If you don´t find toys in local shop, you can make your own.

Hopefully someone can help you sex the bird :)
@Ripshod @Tara81 @Tiel Feathers @Monica

Furtornado

Moving in
Hi welcome to the forum,

Maybe you could find some natural perches to replace the dowels? (the swing is fine) And see if someone has a bigger cage for this bird.
It is a good idea to provide some toys too. If you don´t find toys in local shop, you can make your own.

Hopefully someone can help you sex the bird :)
@Ripshod @Tara81 @Tiel Feathers @Monica
Thanks. I am looking for a companion (depending on gender) and once I find one I will get a bigger cage along. Vet told me not to buy toys for the first week so it can get used to me and to surroundings faster. I didn't know about natural perches. I will get them.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
It's one of those mutations I'm not familiar with unfortunately.
It's a very fine bird though a bit stressed out, the way it's pacing the perch. I think you should give it a bit of space to settle down. I'm with @Zara about the cage, it could do with a lot more space even on it's own. I also agree about the perches. And toys, there's nothing for it to do in there.

Last edited:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Vet told me not to buy toys for the first week so it can get used to me and to surroundings faster.
To start with one toy is good, that way there is something to do, but not too overwhelming. Then when the bird is more comfortable you can add more. A good way to introduce a toy is let the bird out the cage, show the bird the toy, and then put the toy in the cage. You can even let the bird choose, lay all the toys on the couch or table, and see which the bird chooses, then that will be the toy to add to the cage today.

I am looking for a companion (depending on gender) and once I find one I will get a bigger cage
Remember, when you look a at minimum size for cage, that is for one bird. So if you have two birds the the cage needs to be much bigger.

The cage, the toys, the perches... they are all things that will make your bird happy and will make creating a relationship a little easier. Everybody is happy :)

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Based on what I'm seeing, you have a female. If "she" gets any greyer (loses spots on the wings, tail feathers turn grey) then you have a male. No behavior either way that says male or female, but I'm going with a female. She looks stressed out.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
She’s so pretty! I also am guessing female, but she looks so stressed and she’s dying to come out of the cage. I think you need to get a new cage at least 8-10 times as big as the cage she is in as soon as possible. Remember, if you do get another tiel, they may not get along and might not be able to share a cage. What’s her history? Is she hand tame at all?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I let it out
until it is tame

I think it is safe to assume for now she is a she and you no longer need to say it ;)

I guess bigger cage is the only solution until it is tame.
Even if tame, best to have a bigger cage as she will be more healthy (active, fit).

Spend some time by the cage, just talk to her, sing to her, offer her some treats, apple, small pieces of almond or millet, dehydrated fruit, strawberry. Get her comfortable with you being around and receiving treats from you.

When I let it out of the cage it flies from one wall to another freaking out
If you want a relationship`with this bird, then I don´t recommend getting a second bird now, better to wait until she is more comfortable with you.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Can you move her cage to another location where she may be less stressed out?

JaneLane

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
This is a pearl mutation, and if she is 6-9 months very likely she had started her first molt already. If the pearls do not fade then she is a she, if she turns grey then a he.

Edit: A pearl pied judging from the mark on her chest.

Furtornado

Moving in
Can you move her cage to another location where she may be less stressed out?
I did. She's in a bigger room now and I let her out to fly there. Doesn't freak out like before.

If you want a relationship`with this bird, then I don´t recommend getting a second bird now, better to wait until she is more comfortable with you.
I felt sad seeing her alone so yeah I did get a second.. It doesn't really matter as long as they're healthy and loneliness could make them unhealthy right ?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
They've been in the same cage for the whole day will it do any good if I quarantine now ??
Too late.
I recommend a vet visit.
You should always quarantine your birds in case the new bird is sick. Just recently a member here on AA introduced a new bird without quarantine and it infected the other bird with PBFD.

And they should not be housed together after just one day. They need to sleep in separate cages for at least a week or two.

JaneLane

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
@Furtornado Zara is correct, the quarantine has been broken however not all is lost and a quick vet visit can catch sickness before it's too late.
This is a learning experience, and we all make mistakes so don't beat yourself up over it, in fact many people break the many rules of quarantine without even knowing it, which puts their birds in jeopardy. I agree with Zara, a vet check is a good idea. Homeland Security Digital Library(HSDL) has a great article about how to quarantine birds , it's called
"Biosecurity Guide for Poultry and Bird Owners" if you search that title it should pop up it, if you have chrome it will open as a PDF, HSDL allows you to download a copy which is great for me.

When it is time to introduce your new tiels again neutral ground works best in my experience, but some birds never quite hit it off and that's okay! You'll have two buddies for yourself :)